I need an M4/M1014 3-Position Recoil Tube

Hastings

Hey Guys!

I've been waiting a while to hear from Antoine at benelliparts.net, about getting an M4 3-position recoil tube.  They're out of stock, and Antione is not currently returning phone calls, which he previously did in a very timely fashion.  He seems like he's very attentive to his customers, so I'm a little concerned about his failure to get back to me.  Does anyone know if there's a problem over there, other than the current craziness with the virus response?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on where I can currently get a Factory Benelli M4 3-position Recoil Tube Assembly?

Thanks for the help!

45 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

These tubes are back ordered everywhere. The virus panic has gotten a lot of people to buy M4’s and take steps to fix their special edition model M4’s neutered receiver extensions. 

I haven’t talked to Antoine in a while. So I can’t comment on that. 

Thanks so much for responding.  It'll be great to get back to normal.  Other than benelliparts.net, are there a lot of places to buy this thing? 

3 hours ago, Hastings said:

Thanks so much for responding.  It'll be great to get back to normal.  Other than benelliparts.net, are there a lot of places to buy this thing? 

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/benelli-m4/recoil-spring-tube.html

You do not want the 5 position tube. It won't work with your stock.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/benelli/shotguns-benelli/semi-auto-shotguns/m4-super-90?sort-by=partkey

Sometimes Gunbroker or eBay even will have them.

Thanks so much.  I have the California version of the M1014.  Although it looks like it has a C-Stock, and the Butt itself is genuine, the Recoil Tube does not have any detents at all, and will not function in any way as part of a C-Stock.  I'm wondering if I need to replace the entire Recoil Tube Assembly, or can I just get the Tube, and move over the Spring and other interior parts?

On the Midwest site you referenced above, it appears that Product Code 70043 is the entire assembly, while Product Code 70130 is just the Tube?  I'm surprised at the minor price difference between the two...  The cost of the entire assembly on benelliparts.net is $199.  Just curious.

You could transfer the internals without any significant issues. The flexible ring is difficult to remove from the receiver extension once it has been installed. This is a small ring that fits in the end of the extension to prevent the plunger from falling out the front of the extension. What will likely happen is only complete receiver extensions will be available for sale in the near future. 

Some of the internal parts alone are quit expensive. The plunger and the stock retaining screw are probably 20 dollar parts. The spring, flexible ring and the snap ring will get you for 10-15 each. So getting them included for that minimal price difference is a solid deal. The complete ones are they ones Benelliparts has sold in the past. I’ll find you a link to my guide on how to replace the extension, it’s quite involved. 

Thanks for the awesome detailed tutorial.  Huge help for everyone.

I do have a couple questions:

1.  Since I'm doing this to replace the neutered Receiver Extension with a new one that works with the C-Stock as designed, and I presume I'm going to have to buy that new Extension as an already-assembled complete assembly, do I have to disassemble the interior of that new assembly before installing it, or can I just screw it in and start with the "Timing" of the Receiver Extension?  (I understand your reasoning for disassembling the old one before applying heat).

2.  When you use the term, "Timing" when talking about installing the Receiver Extension, I presume you mean making sure that it's screwed in to the point where once the rear portion of the stock is locked into any one of the three positions, it's precisely aligned vertically in relation to the Receiver? It seems the method you describe is the only way for one of us to do that at home... presumably the factory has some hugely expensive jig that allows them to do mass production accurately. It'd be nice to design an inexpensive tool for that.

3.  In the quote below, you refer to having trouble with the Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock.  I do not understand the reference.  FYI, my plan is to use that Mesa Tactical stock when I'm in California, and then easily remove it and screw on the C-stock when I'm in other Western states that allow it.  I'm assuming that's a realistic plan, but I'm hoping to understand your reference before I go in to a huge amount of work and expense.

"Side note: This is the part that gets people into trouble with their Mesa Tactical Urbino stock. Once you realize how little torque is required to remove the Stock Retention Screw from the receiver extension, it is easy to see how Locktited screws will back the Stock Retaining Screw out. The amount of torque applied is no match for the cheap snap-ring to contain."

4.  Incidentally, does the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock screw on to the neutered Receiver Extension that I'm planning to remove?  I'm not removing the neutered extension until I can get the new one, and that may be a while.  I'd like to use the Urbino in the meantime.

Once again, thanks for the time.

If I miss a point, ask again.

1. You won’t need to disassemble the new extension, but you will want to disassemble the neutered one since you’ll be applying heat. The heat will ruin the main spring and the oil inside the tube will smoke a lot if it isn’t flushed out. 

2. Correct on the timing concept. If the extension is canted at all, you’ll see the problem emerge with the collapsible stock. However using the collapsible stock as an alignment tool works well. Another member worked out an idea where you’d install just the extension with loctite, then install the tail piece of the stock fully collapsed to align with the rear sight assembly. You would then let the Loctite set for a few hours before going back and installing the jam nut (with more Loctite.) This keeps you from having to try to hold the extension still while torquing the nut. 

3. The way the Urbino stock is held on is by a large screw that threads in to the receiver extension at the bottom. This is the same threaded hole that the pistol grip stock and the field stock use to screw on into place. The difference being the Urbino has you use a screw driver to screw the screw in place that retains the stock onto the extension. The problem is this threaded hole on the bottom of the receiver extension  is a plug that can unscrew from the extension. It’s how the main spring and plunger are removed from the extension. This plug isn’t tightened to the extension to any significant degree. I unscrew a lot of them with thumb pressure alone. There is a snap ring that is meant to prevent the plug from unscrewing, but it isn’t strong enough to prevent that plug from coming undone if the user used Loctite on the screw that holds the Urbino to the receiver extension. Worst part is, if that plug comes off, it is usually stuck on the end of the screw inside the stock with no real way of holding it to get the screw out. If I were to use the Urbino, I would take the plug out, clean it and the receiver extension threads with Acetone, then use blue Loctite to hold the plug in place. 

4. The Urbino will work on either the neutered or 3 position extension. 

• 2 years later...