Best Benelli M4 Trigger?

Hastings

I'm attempting to comply with 922r, and part of that is educating myself on triggers.  Maybe you guys can help me.

1.  Geissele:  It appears it doesn't matter how good this one is, as they don't maker them anymore?

2.  Briley:  As always, the website sounds great, but like the others, I know nothing about them.  I'm a noob.  I did observe that they require you to send in the trigger group, and they do the install.  Not sure if this is good or bad?

3.  benelliparts.net:  I'm curious who actually manufactures their triggers.  Is it the same people making triggers for FFT, or does everyone do their own thing?

4.  FFT:  Same question... who makes their triggers, and how do they perform over time.  They're the only ones I saw mentioning trigger pull in pounds, and they say it's reduced from 8.25 lbs to 6.25 lbs.

Thanks for any guidance, and maybe names of other companies I should be looking at.

Geissele made only a hammer. The only performance benefit from it was how hard the surface treatment is. They show very little wear after thousands of rounds. Even the OEM hammer gets beat up a little when hitting the firing pin and the base of the bolt carrier. They’re not worth the retarded prices we see since I have never seen a M4 hammer work out to the point that it stopped functioning. 

I’ve installed probably 50 sets of FFT trigger packs. I haven’t had one fail. I have had to fit a few to certain trigger packs in the past. The fitting was minor. Mainly the hammer wouldn’t move freely since the trigger frame was too narrow. This only occurred on the old aluminum OEM frames. Not saying it can’t happen on the polymer ones, but I haven’t seen it. These trigger kits are getting difficult to get from FFT. It’s always a waiting game for the past few years. I have no idea who actually makes them for them. 

Briley makes decent stuff and would be an excellent option. Some don’t like the titanium nitrate finish on the trigger. You could have it painted whatever color you want. I’m not sure if they make the parts in house or not. 

I have no experience with the set that Benelliparts sells. 

• Upvote 4

Like what was said, the color of the trigger is the only complaint I have.  But, people that see it know its Briley when they see it.  It's an amazing trigger.  Going to send my trigger group for my SBE II to them and let them do the same to it.

37 minutes ago, shootingsight said:

ShootingSight makes a hammer to get you one 922R compliant part.  www.shootingsight.com

S7 rolled plate tool steel that is wire EDM cut, then NiB coated for smoothness and wear resistance.

I bought a ShootingSight hammer to compliment the other 922(r) parts that I had ready for a trigger assembly build.  ShooterSight's hammer is high quality and I would recommend it, especially since it's available! I personally liked the laser etched raising of the flag at Iwo Jima logo.

The 922r rules are among the silliest laws created by BATF. The other big one in my opinion is requiring non FFL's to overnight, where from FFL to FFL it can be done normally.

I mean, for the 922r, we can create exactly what is available already to the rest of the world and our police force, but for us only after a set number of US parts to make compliance. ?

Edited by bambihunter

1 hour ago, Flash_120 said:

I had problems with my FFT trigger groups disconnector not releasing the hammer. Called Todd and he said oh well so I’m using the hammer and trigger with factory disconnect. 

Was this from the latest FFT batch?  What trigger housing do you have?  Plastic or the older aluminum?

He really said, "oh well"? 

I'm starting to think the polymer trigger frames are to blame for a lot of the FFT fitting issues. I have ClackClackBAM's trigger pack here. The hammer hangs up on the disconnector. So I swapped his FFT kit for a brand new set I got in today. Same exact issue. I dropped both kits in to an A&S Engineering frame and it worked just fine. I tried the FFT in a spare polymer frame I had in the safe. More disconnector hang ups and tight fit around the hammer.

• Upvote 1

I just got the a Benelli M4 trigger kit ( ship date May 2020 ) from FFT ( Freedom Fighter Tactical )  installed by my local gunsmith in a Benelli M4 H20 shotgun.

When I pulled the trigger in the shop, the hammer would not fall.  

My gunsmith took my Benelli back to further investigate the problem.

He e-mailed me saying that there’s was a fitment issue with the disconnector.  

Anyone else with the same disconnector problem regarding the latest FFT Benelli M4 trigger kits ( ship date May 2020 )?

I think maybe I should have bought Briley trigger kit instead.

Anyone on this forum with a Benelli M4 Briley trigger kit group?

My factory trigger and polymer frame work well with the FFT spring kit. All I installed are the springs, I think they're Wolff. I did not buy the FFT trigger. Other than being stamped as a US part is there any real advantage to the FFT trigger?

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

There is definitely an issue with the polymer trigger frames and the FFT trigger kit. Same kit will drop right in on a OEM aluminum frame or the A&S Engineering frame. If you’re going the FFT route and have a polymer frame, expect to buy the A&S frame too. 

He's right. I found that out the hard way last week.
I'm not broken up about it though, that A&S frame is really nice.

I'll also echo what others are saying re: the FFT trigger pack and polymer frames. I received my FFT kit from Todd from his last batch (May?) and had issues with the hammer dropping off the disconnector and onto the trigger. The groove in the polymer housing is too narrow and prevents the hammer from rotating freely. It's just enough static friction that when the weapon is charged, the hammer stays stuck on the disconnector. Mine was right on the edge that if I tapped or pressed the hammer, it would pop free and down onto the trigger. 

I spoke to Todd about this and he was helpful overall. His thoughts were that the polymer housing have inconsistent tolerances and that sometimes his hammers won't work. Kinda of disappointing but having worked in molding shops, I would have to agree with him. He did offer me a full refund and was helpful through my conversation with him so full marks for CS. He recommended the A&S unit but I opted to purchase another OEM housing and roll the dice. As luck would have it, I received an older aluminum housing and the hammer has adequate clearance. I need to re-assembly the trigger pack to make sure everything works but so far it's looking promising. For anyone interested in this route, I got my trigger housing from Midwest Gun Works. No idea if I got lucky or if they're sitting on a pile of the aluminum units. 

• Upvote 1

I just got the a Benelli M4 trigger kit ( ship date May 2020 ) from FFT ( Freedom Fighter Tactical )  installed by my local gunsmith in a Benelli M4 H20 shotgun.

When I pulled the trigger in the shop, the hammer would not fall.  

My gunsmith took my Benelli back to further investigate the problem.

He e-mailed me saying that there’s was a fitment issue with the disconnector.  

Anyone else with the same disconnector problem regarding the latest FFT Benelli M4 trigger kits ( ship date May 2020 )?

I think maybe I should have bought Briley trigger kit instead.

Anyone on this forum with a Benelli M4 Briley trigger kit group?

Update: June14, 2020

FYI, 

The trigger housing is an OEM polymer housing.

I picked up my Benelli M4 from my gunsmith.  He had to remove material from the disconnector to let the hammer release when the trigger was pulled.

I left a comment on the FFT Facebook page about the disconnector issue.  THE COMMENT WAS REMOVED!  I GUESS FFT WOULD RATHER NOT MAKE CHANGES TO THE SIZE/DIMENSIONS OF TRIGGER GROUP COMPONENTS TO MATCH UP WITH THE OEM POLYMER TRIGGER HOUSING! 

Freedom Fighter Tactical should not tell customers that “it only happens in a small percentage of trigger housings” or “you should buy an aluminum trigger housing”. That is poor customer service by blaming Benelli and not fixing the problem!

Perhaps FFT should buy a new Benelli M4 with a OEM polymer trigger housing and show how easy it is to install the FFT trigger kit in a new shotgun!  Good Luck FFT!

I, too, had problems with the FFT trigger pack from September 2017.

The hammer would fall when releasing the trigger forward to reset. Contacted FFT and was told there are tolerance issues that they can't account for. Fair enough. 

I purchased a complete polymer Benelli trigger pack, a stripped Benelli polymer housing and two stripped Benelli aluminum housings and a bunch of parts to complete the stripped housings.

I tried every combination utilizing the US made and OE Benelli parts and the only combinations that did not work were the ones with the US made trigger installed. The trigger was faulty. The disconnector and hammer seemed to work fine. 

Even though I was well past the 30 day return period, FFT did offer to take the entire trigger pack back and refund me immediately when I first contacted them with the problem so on that end it was good. I chose not to send it back and installed the hammer and springs only in an aluminum housing. I have had their hammer installed in my Nova H2O for years.

Edited by josiahg52
Spelling

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to add to this conversation with my recent experience with after-market trigger parts. I needed to swap out one or more parts for the usual 922r issues (I have the CC 7-round mag as well as the collapsible stock). I first ordered a set from Benelliparts (triggger, hammer, disconnector). It was back-ordered at the time, and it honestly took so long that I kind of forgot about it, and in the meantime, ordered a hammer from ShootingSight. Both arrived at about the same time. Having read about all the fitting issues with the polymer trigger guard, I also bought a new A&S trigger guard, so I started off switching all of the components over to the new guard.

First, I tried installing just the Benelliparts hammer, with all other components stock. Didn't work. The hammer would get caught below the notch of the disconnector, so that nothing would happen when the trigger was pulled. Next, I tried using just the Benelliparts disconnector with the stock parts. No go. Same problem, with the stock hammer getting caught under the disconnector when cocked. Next, I tried all of the Benelliparts group together. That worked. I wasn't wild about the shape of the trigger though, so I tried one more combination: the ShootingSight hammer with all of the other stock parts. Again, no go. The hammer would get caught underneath the stock disconnector.

Having taken apart the trigger group about five times at this point, I would up just putting all of stock parts on the A&S trigger guard, and it works just fine. I'm sure there are some other combos I could have tried, but I'd had enough.  Looking at the components side-by-side, it's hard to see exactly where the sizing issue was, but the parts were certainly not interchangeable from a function standpoint.

31 minutes ago, Fronk said:

Just wanted to add to this conversation with my recent experience with after-market trigger parts. I needed to swap out one or more parts for the usual 922r issues (I have the CC 7-round mag as well as the collapsible stock). I first ordered a set from Benelliparts (triggger, hammer, disconnector). It was back-ordered at the time, and it honestly took so long that I kind of forgot about it, and in the meantime, ordered a hammer from ShootingSight. Both arrived at about the same time. Having read about all the fitting issues with the polymer trigger guard, I also bought a new A&S trigger guard, so I started off switching all of the components over to the new guard.

First, I tried installing just the Benelliparts hammer, with all other components stock. Didn't work. The hammer would get caught below the notch of the disconnector, so that nothing would happen when the trigger was pulled. Next, I tried using just the Benelliparts disconnector with the stock parts. No go. Same problem, with the stock hammer getting caught under the disconnector when cocked. Next, I tried all of the Benelliparts group together. That worked. I wasn't wild about the shape of the trigger though, so I tried one more combination: the ShootingSight hammer with all of the other stock parts. Again, no go. The hammer would get caught underneath the stock disconnector.

Having taken apart the trigger group about five times at this point, I would up just putting all of stock parts on the A&S trigger guard, and it works just fine. I'm sure there are some other combos I could have tried, but I'd had enough.  Looking at the components side-by-side, it's hard to see exactly where the sizing issue was, but the parts were certainly not interchangeable from a function standpoint.

If you want the parts to fit, you're going to need to file on the hammer. You'll want to remove material from the sear contact that engages the disconnector. You remove enough to the point that the sear will slip past the disconnector when the trigger is not being pressed. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to remove enough material to resolve the issue. A file with a safe edge works best so you can use it as a guide against the hammer body to keep your file straight.

I don't know where the issue lies anymore. It seems the aftermarket parts are needing fitting these days in both the OEM and A&S frames. In the past the parts were all drop in without any issues.

• Upvote 1

What StrangerDanger said. Just went down that road two weeks ago.

'Cept I used a coarse stone, taking a couple strokes at a time and checking to make sure that the flat was developing evenly across the hammer.

It also bears mentioning that this was with an A&S trigger housing and FFT "perfectly machined" (Todd's words) trigger kit. The A&S part is very nice, but not really a guaranteed fix for the disconnector issue.