sticky stock on my shotgun

quatro4@sbcglobal.net

Had this happen on a 20ga. M2.  Yeah, I tried the alcohol wipe-down.  No joy.  You could take a fingernail and bite into the plastic.  I figured an improper mix/cure process on the material.  Called Benelli.  They sent me a new stock.

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, truckcop said:

Had this happen on a 20ga. M2.  Yeah, I tried the alcohol wipe-down.  No joy.  You could take a fingernail and bite into the plastic.  I figured an improper mix/cure process on the material.  Called Benelli.  They sent me a new stock.

I have the same gun and same issue. Have used the gun less than 15 times over the last 5 years. Always kept in a climate controlled safe. Got it out in November, and it’s super gummy. Have to call Benelli this week. 

No offense to Benelli, but this is explicitly what turned me off with the change from the SBE to the SBE II and later. I don't have a recoil issue with shotguns, even on 3.5" mags. But, them eventually getting either hard or gummy seems inevitable.

Reminds me of the whole Remington / Limbsaver recoil pads. Once they started, they were done and only got worse and worse with time. I had some get so bad that they literally "melted" and stuck to the carpeting on the bottom of the safe. Remington, in their "infinite" wisdom won't send me just the pads for their expensive Titanium series rifles. Instead, they want me to send it back to them to replace the entire stock. You know, the stock that you can buy from McMillian, Bell and Carlson, HS Precision (I think the original maker of these), that you can buy off the shelf and put it on with 2 screws. I am not keen on sending a mint, out of production ~$2k rifle, with $2.5k scope, etc through the rough and tumble shipping companies just to get a $50 pad. The irony here, is that some of my ~$600 700's with the Bell and Carlson stock had the same type of sticky pads (but were not interchangeable with these). Instead of the pads, they sent the whole replacement stock.

Funny how like-minded folks seem to have the same issues.  Prior to my M2 stock issue, I had the Limbsaver issue.  I purchased three pads for my Rem 870 wood stocks.  All three started to go fairly quickly, i.e., sticking to the carpet in the safe (is there an echo in here? ?)  I didn't shoot those guns much so it wasn't really a concern for a few years.  I ended up buying new ones not realizing it was Limbsaver's issue and not storage problems on my part.  A while after that I learned of their batch-mix issue leading to failure-to-cure-properly.  I just let it go as a learning experience.  And that experience lead to my calling Benelli as soon as I recognized the issue with their failure-to-cure batch.  I'm sure that many others had the problem but rather than announce a universal fix they probably just waited to address the problem on an individual basis.  Sort of like their failure to admit to "the Benelli click" as a real thing across the system until they finally came up with the re-designed bolt on a couple of the guns to alleviate that.  

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ted sartin said:

Took my Cordova out of the safe and it’s so sticky you couldn’t hold it what will Bonelli do about this. What do I do?  I feel that I need a new stock and forearm. To pay this much for a gun and have this happen is very discouraging. 

As I noted above, call Benelli.  In my case they sent me a new stock.

Benelli used a finish on 4 guns they called grip tight. The four guns are the 20ga black M2, 20ga black cordoba, the 12 gauge black cordoba and an black r1 rifle, I don't know the caliber. This is what I was told when I called about my M2. They replaced the stock and forend on my 12 year old M2 under warranty, They warned me it would take a while to get both parts and it did but I did get them

• 10 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, truckcop said:

I'm also facing the same problem with my 20ga M2 shotgun. Got it out from its case after a couple of years just to find out a disgusting stickiness. I'll try to contact Benelli asap. Thanks for sharing. In the mean time is anything I can do?

5 hours ago, Bernardo said:

I'm also facing the same problem with my 20ga M2 shotgun. Got it out from its case after a couple of years just to find out a disgusting stickiness. I'll try to contact Benelli asap. Thanks for sharing. In the mean time is anything I can do?

Nope, you'll just have to live with it until you get a new stock.  I tried all sorts of "remedies".  Nothing helped.