Converting m2 field to home defense / tactical.

Drew

I'm new to Benelli, just picked up a M2 field with 28" barrel recently. Options were slim but I wanted a nice home defense shotgun with the option to convert back in case I take up some hunting in the future. So far all I've done is put in a 21" barrel and mag extension. I mean as it sits right there it's probably more than capable for home defense. But I am looking for advice on other modification I should do and where I can find them. I've been looking at Mesa Tactical's website and am considering a different stock, and foregrip. I know it's kinda ugly now but by the time it's done it'll be more color coordinated. Just wanted to make sure I had something capable and ready for home use in the meantime. Would love the advice on what changes I should make next and I'm not scared to spend a little extra to get a quality product. Thank you all.

20200613_224804.jpg

20200613_171435.jpg

I'd add a tac light since you are going to want both hands on the weapon. Other than that, practice shooting around corners, etc. I don't think the M2 is as bad as a SBE would be for this, but with it, if you don't have the gun held securely, preferably against your body, it may not cycle right. It might fire, but not load the next round. I can hold either of my SBE's "free arm" and they will both do this on shells that work perfectly when shot normal. But, that said most likely you'll be shooting heavier loads for defense so it may not be an issue anyway.

I just kind of went through this with me Field version Super Nova. Things i wanted for Tactical mode were: shorter barrel, shell holders, and a light. On both of our stock models there is nowhere to mount a light. Now that you have the Mag tube extension, you can mount a rail to the extension and a a light to the rail. GGG also makes a rail that can mount without an extension. I bought an extension but don't like how you have to deal with the spring popping out everything time you want to take the barrel off.

This can go on your Mag tube extension

https://www.mountsplus.com/l&m-shotgun-magazine-tube-rail-mount.html

Or you can use this which clamps under the barrel nut

https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-m2-flashlight-mount.html

I wanted one of these to provide a top rail and shell holder

https://www.mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-polymer-carrier-and-rail-for-ben-m2-tactical-6-shell-12-ga-4-1-2-in.html

Problem is neither your M2 or my super nova are drilled and tapped for this. I actually have my SN at a gun smith right now having this part added.

I settled on a stock mount velcro card in lieu of the Mesa shell holder.

I also wanted a Breech Choke just because its looks bad ass. I got one from carlson. When I ordered my 18.5 inch barrel, Benelli was out so i got the Cralson one. The Carlson one is threaded for chokes while the Benelli one isn't. Benelli Field models are threaded for chokes but not for a top rail. Benelli Tactical models are tapped for a top rail but not threaded for chokes. Ugh.

They don't make it easy.

Or, you could just order a Remmington Extreme Defender which basically has everything I wanted. I ordered one a few days ago. We'll see if my local shop can actually get one.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/SXP-Current-Products/sxp-extreme-defender-fde.html

Thanks for the replies. Did a lot of research this morning and ordered the surefire m650df with pressure switch and mlok switch plate. Supposed to be 1500 lumens lol. Will be buying the Carlson breech choke, luckily the 21" barrel is threaded. Next I'll be doing some research on optics. In the end for home defense it might not even be worth it though seeing as I'd have to get the reciever tapped. And if I add a rail then I don't have any backup sights. I'll update a new picture when the light goes on. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Here is my most recent update. I absolutely love how this turned out. Few more things I still want to do. Larger bolt release button, forend grip panels, maybe a handstop, sling. Any recommendation on anything else to do? Should I worry about some kind of backup iron sight system? Let me know your thoughts. 

20200821_183028.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Little update. Nothing major, ended up having to go with the adjustable stock to get that perfect alignment on the red dot. Added a mesa 6 shell carrier on the stock and a little karve handstop. Have a sling on the way. At this point anything more I do will probably be internal upgrading now. I also ordered a case of federal le12700 buckshot hoping they have enough power to cycle properly. Hoping to get to the range very soon just waiting on a few things for my ar-15. 

20200922_165850.jpg

20200922_165955.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, electric7 said:

Great post, really cool evolution from field to tactical!  Question, how sturdy is that rail?  I was thinking about tapping a field M2 but I noticed that the top of the receiver thins out as you get to where the barrel meets the receiver.  How did that go?

I had a very good local gunsmith do it for me. It's most definitely possible to do and I highly doubt it's moving anywhere. I wouldn't trust myself to do it so I paid and he didn't even charge that much. 

• 5 months later...

Those mods look great! I'm new to M2s but was leery of adding weight in the form of extra shells or tac lights because of vague warnings about the inertial system and low recoil loads. I get the part of the loads but have you had any issues with the accessories causing cycling issues? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...