Montefeltro choke tune question

Akshay

Hi Everyone, appreciate any help you can provide me. Bought a new 12g Montefeltro. It came with 3 choke tubes. I can’t tell for the life of me how to identify what kind each are. I have searched the web, checked videos and the only thing I come across are the notches to identify. Problem is that my choke tubes don’t have any notches where they are supposed to be. It just says steel shot ok and no steel shot. Took it to the store and they couldn’t figure it out either. 
I would greatly appreciate your help. Have been excited to shoot some clays but haven’t been able to go. 
thanks a ton

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see other Montefeltro owners out there it seem like they are not the most popular model. The choke should have **** near where it say steel shot ok and an abbreviation of the choke constriction IC= improved cylinder. If it’s a newer model it should be the crio style of tube if older I think they used the mobile. I’ve included a pic of mine. If you can’t identify it id be careful on what you push through it. 

image.jpg

Thanks so much USMC249 for your response. I thought I read the entire manual front to back and back to front but clearly I missed what you pointed out. Very dumb of me.  I’ll check to see if my choke tubes match your photos and post again to confirm. Seems from your username  you are a marine. Thank you for your service sir. #gratitude. 

On 7/12/2020 at 10:09 PM, USMC249 said:

Akshay

it can be easy  to miss info in the Benelli manual, those things are thick. Hope you can determine the choke tubes and get to enjoy your new Monty. Thank you for recognizing military service. Semper Fi. 

Hi USMC249,

So here's an image of my choke tubes. As you can see, the description of the choke tube is not where yours is. And those notches just don't exist on mine. However, I do see the **** (stars) so THANK YOU for solving that problem for me. Appreciate it. On a different note, these are the cleaners/lubes I use on my other firearms. Would this be OK for the Monte or do you recommend buying the Benelli cleaning solutions as recommended in the manual?

Thanks again. Have a great day.

Akshay

IMG_6993 (1).jpg

IMG_6994.jpg

Hello, 

so yours might not have the notches but it looks like they are marked in between the checkering. Modified and full. I’m surprised there is no manufacturer markings.  Yes, you could use any normal gun cleaner approved for blued guns. I use hoppes for cleaning barrel and rem oil to lube.  you might want to put some oil or grease on the choke threads before installing them (I have a Winchester with a frozen choke). Glad you were able to get it figured out. 

Just chiming in. You can also get additional choke tubes from places like Carlsons (choketube.com). They have a pretty good quide for figuring out which ones fit your model Benelli since there are four types. Their website is good but their printed catalog is really good. They don't have notches but they are marked with C, IC,M,IM,F etc.

13 minutes ago, rhodesengr said:

Just chiming in. You can also get additional choke tubes from places like Carlsons (choketube.com). They have a pretty good quide for figuring out which ones fit your model Benelli since there are four types. Their website is good but their printed catalog is really good. They don't have notches but they are marked with C, IC,M,IM,F etc.

yes, I found a Carlson white wing online at a good price. It’s an extended range improved modified at .700 it looks cool can’t wait to shoot it and see how it does. From what hear all these after market chokes perform better then factory. We will see 

Thank you @rhodesengr and @USMC249 for all your help. I greased the choke tubes to make sure they don't freeze. great advice. I'm headed to the range tomorrow to fire off a few rounds. my indoor range only allows slugs. so am going to do that first and then go and bust some clay targets. will report back.  

On 7/16/2020 at 4:08 PM, Akshay said:

Thank you @rhodesengr and @USMC249 for all your help. I greased the choke tubes to make sure they don't freeze. great advice. I'm headed to the range tomorrow to fire off a few rounds. my indoor range only allows slugs. so am going to do that first and then go and bust some clay targets. will report back.  

Hi there,

I finally got together with an instructor and it was a lot simpler than I imagined. Fired the Montefeltro without cleaning or oiling. So smooth, so easy. Glad I bought it. He didn't think it needed any field stripping except perhaps a couple drops in the bolt release area and in the choke tube threads. It was a hot MN day but so well worth it. Enjoy your Monte''s and thanks for all your help @USMC249  @rhodesengr

They are one of the smoothest actions I’ve ever handled. Glad you got to enjoy your Montefeltro. I usually just wipe the barrel out with a bore snake and clean the action with a rag and few drops of rem oil Inbetween shooting sessions. They are low maintenance.