I've saved up some money and I'm looking to get my first gun: a Benelli M4. As I've been reading up on it, I've gotten confused as there seems to be different models of it, some don't have interchangeable chokes, etc. At the very least, I know I want a pistol grip, the collapsible stock, and the 7 round magazine tube, but I've read that other parts should be replaced as well.

Would anyone be willing to give me a simple 101 on the Benelli M4? What parts can and should be replaced, where to purchase one, and what other things should I know?

I'm already aware of the benelliparts.com site, r/gundeals, and the Taran Tactical version.

You want the one with a 11703 code on the packaging. It is the most common M4 being sold and being the cheapest in price. Anything with a collapsible, USA flag, or field stock will command a premium usually.

Just get that one. Don't get the other M1014 or Titanium cerakote models. The premium isn't worth it as a first gun. Go shoot it a bunch and then figure out what you like and don't like. Even better is if you can go to a range that has one for rent and try it out or try out a forum member's gun.

M1014/11701: Limited edition flag model. Comes with a oem collapsible stock that doesn’t function. The receiver extension is neutered to prevent function. Barrel does not have removable chokes. The original release of 1-2500 came with aluminum trigger frames. Current production flag editions outside of this initial release have polymer frames. Original release had a different barrel design that didn’t have the seating ring that mates against the receiver face. Handguards were slightly different as to account for this seat ring. 922(r) rules apply for modifying the shotgun’s capacity and collapsible stock. 

11703: When originally released, this was a 4 port barreled model made for low recoil rounds. Everyone hated it and Benelli would replace the barrel if asked. The shotgun would beat itself to death if standard rounds were used. It also came with the neutered receiver extension. It came with a pistol grip stock. Barrel assembly has removable chokes. Came with an aluminum trigger frame. For some stupid reason,  Benelli released this model number again around 2014 with some changes. The barrel is the standard 2 port barrel. It has a regular 3 position receiver extension. It came with a polymer trigger frame. Came with a field stock. Why they didn’t give it its own model number, we will never know. These models are rare to see anymore. 922(r) rules apply for modifying the shotgun’s capacity and collapsible stock. 

11707: This is the gold standard model. Comes with a 3 position receiver extension. Barrel is a 2 port barrel with removable chokes. The barrel have the new seat ring design and some modifications to the barrel extension inside the receiver. Early production models came with aluminum trigger frames where as current production models have the polymer ones. We’ve seen some minor changes in finishes on small parts like the Argo plugs and receiver anodizing over the years. Some Receivers almost have an OD green hue. These models come with a 5 round magazine that has a limiter in place. 922(r) rules apply for modifying the shotgun’s capacity and collapsible stock. I will note that 60 were released from Benelli with 7 round magazines and functional collapsible stocks until the ATF made them stop.

11710: This M4 essentially the same as a 11707, but it comes with a field stock. 

11711: This model has all of the features of the 11707, but the shotgun was plated in Np3 by Robar. These are quite rare and not to be confused with the Cerakote model that is painted silver to copy the look. These true NP3 plated models are arguably considered the best model due to the performance of the Np3 finish. 922(r) rules apply for modifying the shotgun’s capacity and collapsible stock. 

11713: This M4 is a law enforcement model that is 922(R) exempt like the 11721. This model has all of the features of the 11707. The only real difference is it comes with a steel 7 round magazine tube.

11717: This model has all of the features of the 11707, but the shotgun has a three tone desert camo pattern. 922(r) rules apply for modifying the shotgun’s capacity and collapsible stock. 

11721: This is a law enforcement model that has all the features of the 11707 but doesn’t have to abide by 922(R) restrictions. It isn’t meant to be sold to civilians, but they often are. They are sold at a premium price. Given that it comes with a collapsible stock, this makes the price more appealing. The shotgun includes a 7 round steel magazine tube. 

11723: This is a 14” Entry gun version of the M4 the barrel doesn’t have a removable choke. This would be a NFA firearm. It comes with the field stock. Other features are similar to the 11707/11721. 5 round capacity due to length.

11724: This is a 14” Entry gun version of the M4  the barrel doesn’t have a removable choke. This would be a NFA firearm. It comes with the oem collapsible stock  other features are similar to the 11707/11721. 5 round capacity due to length.

11795: This model is similar to the 11707 in features. The only real difference is it is Cerakoted. I have seen both a H2O titanium finish and a dark earth color option. Pistol grip and field stocks can be had under this model.

11796: This is a law enforcement model like the 11713/11724. The only difference is the Cerakote paint options. The firearm is generally sold with the oem collapsible stock and a 7 round magazine tube.

There may be other options and models out there. Benelli has a European model with a slightly longer barrel. There is also a redesigned M4A1 that has been floated that uses the Supernova collapsible stock and has a railed handguard assembly from the factory. I don’t think these options have been imported to America yet.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Don't know if it matters in your research but, mine is a 2014 Robar H20 that came with the 3 position receiver extension, solid pistol grip stock,  aluminum trigger housing, 2 port barrel with the seating ring design, all the stuff you listed in the above 11707 model but mine is a 11718. 

If you're interested.

• Upvote 1

Good info. I think when Benelli got their peepee slapped by the ATF, they took what was left of the 11711 batch and returned them to 922(r) compliance. 

Benelli was attempting to state that the refinishing process was manufacturing the firearm here in the US which would exempt it from 922(R) compliance. 

The ATF disagreed. 

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Good info. I think when Benelli got their peepee slapped by the ATF, they took what was left of the 11711 batch and returned them to 922(r) compliance. 

Benelli was attempting to state that the refinishing process was manufacturing the firearm here in the US which would exempt it from 922(R) compliance. 

The ATF disagreed. 

Of course they did.  But only after they agreed, but disagreed to the agree they disagreed with....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/3/2020 at 8:51 PM, StrangerDanger said:

The barrel have the new seat ring design and some modifications to the barrel extension inside the receiver.

How can I tell if my M4 has this?  What are the visual signs to look for?  Do all newer models have this feature, say 2015 and up?

On 7/3/2020 at 8:51 PM, StrangerDanger said:

11711: This model has all of the features of the 11707, but the shotgun was plated in Np3 by Robar. These are quite rare and not to be confused with the Cerakote model that is painted silver to copy the look. These true NP3 plated models are arguably considered the best model due to the performance of the Np3 finish. 922(r) rules apply for modifying the shotgun’s capacity and collapsible stock. 

Did all the original H2O's have a plated or silver trigger guard?  It seems I've seen photos where some were silver and some were not.

The 11707 forward had the larger seat ring on the barrel and the modifications to the hook shaped area at the rear part of the barrel extension. 

Many of the Benelli sales photos showed the trigger guard and even the collapsible stock bodies, top rail Np3 plated. They either back peddled upon release or they had just photoshopped them. The only M4’s with plated trigger packs are ones people have had done themselves. 

They either did this as a cost savings issue or they determined the oem trigger frames were riddled with pits in the aluminum casting which show up better when NP3 plated. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I live in NY but was visiting in CA... I found a Benelli M4 H2O for sale. They told me it has a 7 round mag (7+1) but was not an LE.  I was told that I can purchase it (I am not in law enforcement); however, I called 3 FFL's in NY and was told 1) No, you cannot purchase it in NY because it has a 7 round mag, 2) Check the NY Safe Act, which I replied that I did and it clearly states, "...banded if is holds in excess of 7 rounds in the magazine".  I told him "in excess" means MORE THAN, to which he responded, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. is not allowed.  BUT, the third FFL I called said, "So long as it isn't an LE setup and has 7 rounds it is legal - pistol grip and all.  And, if CA can sell it to you it means it is not an LE Benelli.  He said it had everything to do with the way it was imported from Italy.  He said buy it and we will transfer it to you.  

Has anyone had any experience with this??? 

On 7/2/2020 at 2:53 AM, Camp Stamp said:

I've saved up some money and I'm looking to get my first gun: a Benelli M4. As I've been reading up on it, I've gotten confused as there seems to be different models of it, some don't have interchangeable chokes, etc. At the very least, I know I want a pistol grip, the collapsible stock, and the 7 round magazine tube, but I've read that other parts should be replaced as well.

Would anyone be willing to give me a simple 101 on the Benelli M4? What parts can and should be replaced, where to purchase one, and what other things should I know?

I'm already aware of the benelliparts.com site, r/gundeals, and the Taran Tactical version.

This is the model I waited for 5 months to come in and love it!  With military discount it came to $1900.00 shipped to my FFL!

https://www.benellile.com/m4-tactical-shotgun

IMG_4932 copy.jpeg

Edited by geno0506

12 hours ago, NavVet said:

I live in NY but was visiting in CA... I found a Benelli M4 H2O for sale. They told me it has a 7 round mag (7+1) but was not an LE.  I was told that I can purchase it (I am not in law enforcement); however, I called 3 FFL's in NY and was told 1) No, you cannot purchase it in NY because it has a 7 round mag, 2) Check the NY Safe Act, which I replied that I did and it clearly states, "...banded if is holds in excess of 7 rounds in the magazine".  I told him "in excess" means MORE THAN, to which he responded, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. is not allowed.  BUT, the third FFL I called said, "So long as it isn't an LE setup and has 7 rounds it is legal - pistol grip and all.  And, if CA can sell it to you it means it is not an LE Benelli.  He said it had everything to do with the way it was imported from Italy.  He said buy it and we will transfer it to you.  

Has anyone had any experience with this??? 

Also curious as to what qualifies as "LE" only.  Is it only when marked LE on the receiver or does it have to do with having a 7 round capacity factory installed directly from Benelli? 

I was told by a NY FFL that the 7 round capacity has nothing to do with it being legal or not (in NY) even with a pistol grip and standard stock.  If it’s stamped as LE I cannot purchase it; however, if CA will sell it to me then it must not be.  It has something to do with the way it was imported.  I’m going to chance it...  Damn, they make this so damn confusing in some states.