M4 Mag Tube Removal Fail

MNtadpole

4 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

If they were videos, they weren’t mine!

Hopefully it wasn’t the 45 minute, ‘Smokin’ like a chmney,’ video!

I’d probably stick with Blue Loctite for a carbon fiber magazine tube. I wouldn’t want to have to apply heat to it if I ever needed it apart.

sorry - i re-read my posts - i meant your posts. i was watching a video at the same time i posted - it's hell getting old.

Actually i had the same thought - i used a small bead of blue.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:40 PM, MNtadpole said:

I've never hired a gunsmith to do any extensive work...so I couldn't say accurately. What I can say is that it took my mechanically inclined self to hit it with a MAPP torch and got it off in under 5 minutes.

Briley just quoted ne $45

Well worth the hassle and risk avoidance

From Briley regarding manufacture of the CF magazine tube:

We do not make the carbon fiber tubing ourselves but purchase it from a company called Rock West Composites and this is what they say of the carbon we have selected:

"The fabric weave "money layer" makes these carbon fiber tubes ideal for aesthetic applications. But this composite tube has all the structural qualities of unidirectional tubing with an outer woven fabric ply. Additionally, the carbon fabric outer layer helps minimize fraying and splintering during cutting and/or drilling operations."

We have used this carbon fiber extensively to manufacture magazine extension in a variety of lengths for a number of different auto shotguns.  We use this carbon as it is also machinable as we do not glue the carbon to it's steel or aluminum adapters but rather thread it.  We use the same shallow thread technology we developed on our thin wall chokes to thread the carbon.  The carbon is then threaded into it's individual adapters used for either magazine extensions or in the case of the Benelli M4 for the magazine.

We know that carbon is very strong and tough as we have also experimented making barrels for our sub gauge tube sets.  The carbon will retain the pressure when used as a shotgun barrel but the resin used to bond it is eroded by the heat over a period of time making it unsuitable for the application.

The carbon used on magazine extensions is subject to repeated muzzle blasts without any adverse effects as they generally extend beyond the muzzle of the barrel.  To date we have purchased several thousand feet of carbon tubing and converted it into magazine extensions.  We have yet to have a complaint about the carbon discoloring to gold???  Our sponsored 3 gun shooters have never mentioned this problem.  Either way we are always open to hearing of any issues related to our products but at this time we are unaware of any issues related to discoloring.

Thanks.

Claudio Salassa

1230 Lumpkin Road

Houston, Texas 7704

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, MNtadpole said:

LOL...yesterday's frustration resulted in the purchase of a decent bench vise and a MAPP torch! This s*** is about to get real!?

20200710_215139.jpg

When I replaced my factory 5 round tube with an NP3 plated 7 rounder from FFT, I used an 1800W hair dryer to loosen the loctite that Robar used when they reassembled the gun after it was plated.

I can't remember what the color of the loctite was that Robar had put on there.....maybe green? I can't be sure but the hair dryer loosened it just fine after about 15 minutes of trying.

When I put the new tube on, I used blue loctite on the threads....I'm hoping that when I get my new Ti muted tube from CC that it comes off as easy as the original one did.

AT the time FFT was the only vendor that offered a genuine NP3 plated tube and CC had yet to offer their muted version of the Ti tube. That's the only reason that I went with the FFT 7 tube and not CC originally.

Edited by Evolution

5 hours ago, Knonaime said:

From Briley regarding manufacture of the CF magazine tube:

We do not make the carbon fiber tubing ourselves but purchase it from a company called Rock West Composites and this is what they say of the carbon we have selected:

"The fabric weave "money layer" makes these carbon fiber tubes ideal for aesthetic applications. But this composite tube has all the structural qualities of unidirectional tubing with an outer woven fabric ply. Additionally, the carbon fabric outer layer helps minimize fraying and splintering during cutting and/or drilling operations."

We have used this carbon fiber extensively to manufacture magazine extension in a variety of lengths for a number of different auto shotguns.  We use this carbon as it is also machinable as we do not glue the carbon to it's steel or aluminum adapters but rather thread it.  We use the same shallow thread technology we developed on our thin wall chokes to thread the carbon.  The carbon is then threaded into it's individual adapters used for either magazine extensions or in the case of the Benelli M4 for the magazine.

We know that carbon is very strong and tough as we have also experimented making barrels for our sub gauge tube sets.  The carbon will retain the pressure when used as a shotgun barrel but the resin used to bond it is eroded by the heat over a period of time making it unsuitable for the application.

The carbon used on magazine extensions is subject to repeated muzzle blasts without any adverse effects as they generally extend beyond the muzzle of the barrel.  To date we have purchased several thousand feet of carbon tubing and converted it into magazine extensions.  We have yet to have a complaint about the carbon discoloring to gold???  Our sponsored 3 gun shooters have never mentioned this problem.  Either way we are always open to hearing of any issues related to our products but at this time we are unaware of any issues related to discoloring.

Thanks.

Claudio Salassa

1230 Lumpkin Road

Houston, Texas 7704

Great info, thanks for doing the leg work. 

45 bucks is reasonable. I charge a 100 if that’s the only thing I’m doing. It’s free if doing other big work. I only charge a 100 since it’s a pain in the ass to take to the UPS place. 

The FFT NP3 steel tubes are nice. The only bad is they’re steel so they weigh a lot. The place doing the NP3 won’t attempt plating titanium anymore, so you’re stuck with a bead blast finish or a Cerakote paint. i have a carriercomp tube that was Np3+ plated back in the Robar era. I may sell it off if I like this carbon fiber tube. 

52 minutes ago, Vertigofirearms said:

If some dirt gets in, do you think the follower will drag? You say it is a really tight fit.

It seemed to be only at the tip. Once knocked in, it slid in without any resistance. There was no way the spring retainer can be compressed enough to fit in. I just left it out. It just makes getting the mag cap on with the spring loose a pain in the ass. 

I emailed them about it to see if it’s an issue they care to address. 

I weighed the tubes, it comes in 2.4 ounces lighter than the carriercomp. 3.4oz vs. 5.8oz. If someone is adding the tube from the stock steel one, you’re looking at cutting half a pound. It’s hard to perceive the difference on 2.4 ounces. I’m sure it’s there, but it isn’t a night and day difference. 

5 hours ago, aznwhip said:

I didn't use the stock spring retainer as I have their one shot extension to even out length paired with the stock Benelli breacher muzzle brake.

Makes sense. 

33 minutes ago, ClackClackBAM said:

True. When I put the CC tube on my gun I noticed the difference immediately though. I was able to swing the barrel easier, even with a full load.

Definitely. It was so light it felt like a paper towel cardboard tube. What weight it does have is mostly at the stainless threaded ends. Inside the tube is stainless. The transition between the threaded ends and the center of the tube can barely be felt. The carbon fiber wrapped area still appears to be some sort of metal. The exterior of the tube feels like carbon fiber weave. it’s definitely not like fake carbon fiber crap you see stuck on cars. 

I forget the exact weight of the OEM tube and limiter, but I think it is around;

OEM Steel: 10.5 oz (estimate)

Carriercomp Titanium: 5.8 oz

Briley Carbon Fiber: 3.4 oz 

I’ll probably add one to my Burnt Bronze M4 in the near future with blackened ends.