M4 Mag Tube Removal Fail

MNtadpole

52 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

...during this retarded panic buying cycle. 

That's funny!  Actually I view it as the great wokening.   As in they "woke" up to the Second Amendment.  Gee, there might really be something to this 2A thing....

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Another nice thing about these Briley tubes is they ship really fast. No need to wait for months even right now during this retarded panic buying cycle. 

I spoke to Briley when I made my order.  They have a lot in stock because they've geared up for the beginning of the 3-gun sport season.

There is a lot of overlap between 3-gun and tactical uses.  Many of that sports needs has helped the tactical shotgunner out.

• 1 month later...

Something to keep an eye out for when you install a carbon fiber magazine tube. I noticed on one of my swaps that the shells were hanging up inside the magazine tube with my brother-in-law’s M4. He was using a FFT follower. Upon trying to insert a shell into the empty magazine tube, the follower would get stuck and prevent you from pushing the round in. 

I found that the follower was hanging up on the Briley magazine tube where the stainless steel threaded end transitions to the aluminum body beneath the carbon fiber. If you push your finger inside either end of the mag tube, you’ll feel the lip. 

So I tried a carriercomp follower that happened to be NP3 plated to see if it would perform any different. The issue completely went away. 

Just be sure to test your equipment before you’re relying on it. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, Knonaime said:

From Briley regarding manufacture of the CF magazine tube:

We do not make the carbon fiber tubing ourselves but purchase it from a company called Rock West Composites and this is what they say of the carbon we have selected:

"The fabric weave "money layer" makes these carbon fiber tubes ideal for aesthetic applications. But this composite tube has all the structural qualities of unidirectional tubing with an outer woven fabric ply. Additionally, the carbon fabric outer layer helps minimize fraying and splintering during cutting and/or drilling operations."

We have used this carbon fiber extensively to manufacture magazine extension in a variety of lengths for a number of different auto shotguns.  We use this carbon as it is also machinable as we do not glue the carbon to it's steel or aluminum adapters but rather thread it.  We use the same shallow thread technology we developed on our thin wall chokes to thread the carbon.  The carbon is then threaded into it's individual adapters used for either magazine extensions or in the case of the Benelli M4 for the magazine.

We know that carbon is very strong and tough as we have also experimented making barrels for our sub gauge tube sets.  The carbon will retain the pressure when used as a shotgun barrel but the resin used to bond it is eroded by the heat over a period of time making it unsuitable for the application.

The carbon used on magazine extensions is subject to repeated muzzle blasts without any adverse effects as they generally extend beyond the muzzle of the barrel.  To date we have purchased several thousand feet of carbon tubing and converted it into magazine extensions.  We have yet to have a complaint about the carbon discoloring to gold???  Our sponsored 3 gun shooters have never mentioned this problem.  Either way we are always open to hearing of any issues related to our products but at this time we are unaware of any issues related to discoloring.

Thanks.

Claudio Salassa

1230 Lumpkin Road

Houston, Texas 7704

That has to be among the most truthfully answered response I have seen in a long time. It is refreshing. So many say no way, not our products, or they give a canned response.

After installing the Briley carbon fiber mag tube with the factory Benelli follower I tried pushing in the follower with my finger and the factory follower would hang up and get stuck similar to your experience. I then installed the FFT follower and tried the same process and the FFT follower did not get hung up no matter how many times I tried so hopefully it will be fine. Didn't get a chance to get to the range with live ammo yet. If I have problems I may order the TTI follower which seems to be about the same length as the Briley follower but the TTI follower comes in red instead of black like the Briley. 

• Upvote 2

I picked up the extended follower from Midway USA. It looks to be the same one that TTI sells and is made by Nordic. Here is a comparison of the Benelli, FFT and Nordic followers. I didn't get a chance to try the FFT follower at the range but figured for cheap money I'd just go with longer Nordic follower. It feels even smoother than the FFT when you push it in the magazine tube by hand. Definitely no hang up. I'm hitting the range tomorrow to confirm. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005310056?pid=660691

D7AB5D12-B576-40FD-898E-975FD8A99720.jpeg

95C5345E-8D7D-49E0-9340-01252A4DBF49.jpeg

1E611943-D3F6-4CBF-B954-F3E2ABF923C5.jpeg

8CDCD220-EDDB-42A9-AC9C-E59503940AD3.jpeg

Edited by GTTom

• 2 weeks later...

Just removed my magazine today and thanks to Strange Danger, all went well.  I used the MAPP method and it only took about 5 minutes of heating it near the screw in portion, twisting, heating and more twisting.  Once it started to turn, it came off easy.  All cleaned out and now waiting for my new tube from Carriercomp to arrive.  Am also waiting for my match grade trigger from Briley to arrive.

just did mine thanks stranger for the advice. and after using a harbor freight heat gun only took about 10-15 min of heating and twisting till it came loose  cleaned her up and installed the new carbon tube with a drop of blue thread lock.  now just waiting for my briley 8'' m lock hand guard to show up..

IMG-3368.jpg

IMG-3373.jpg

IMG-3371.jpg

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Clean jobs. 

I’m waiting for a few more carbon fiber interior pieces for my Tesla to come in to do some cool photos with the H2O. Should look cool with the carbon fiber and white leather mix. 

So I did the carbon install on my black m4 and now I have a tiny bit of play on my barrel.  if I grab the gun from the hand guard I can move the barrel up and down making a clicking noise with the carbon tube installed. the locking cap on top of the mag tube is tightened all the way but it won’t keep the barrel from having play any one else notice this? Seems as if the mag tube is just a tad short allowing the barrel to move. I called briley this morning and left their tech guy a vm waiting to hear back 

2 hours ago, sykotik said:

So I did the carbon install on my black m4 and now I have a tiny bit of play on my barrel.  if I grab the gun from the hand guard I can move the barrel up and down making a clicking noise with the carbon tube installed. the locking cap on top of the mag tube is tightened all the way but it won’t keep the barrel from having play any one else notice this? Seems as if the mag tube is just a tad short allowing the barrel to move. I called briley this morning and left their tech guy a vm waiting to hear back 

Too short or too long? I would think too long would cause extra play. I was not able to crank down on the retention cap like on the stock tube, probably should check my barrel too.

11 minutes ago, Kozumasbullitt said:

Too short or too long? I would think too long would cause extra play. I was not able to crank down on the retention cap like on the stock tube, probably should check my barrel too.

To long my apologies just been frustrated trying to figure out why it was doing tha on my first post. It’s it locks on the pin and clicks when tightening but it it still has play 

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Are you using the OEM handguards? I'd swap back to the OEM magazine tube to see if the issue is corrected by the swap.

i have oem hand guards.. i swapped back to oem tube and its like its supposed to be with no play.  they are sending me another carbon tube will be here Wednesday maybe i just got one that got cut wrong. s**t happens there customer service was great and making it right sent me another one right away. im still gonna buy my 8 mlock from briley when there available.