Pinning m4 c-stock?

Butters149

I’d get a pin that is smaller diameter than the button spring. Then cut it to length so the button cannot be depressed with the pin inside the spring. I’d leave just a small amount of play so you can depress the button slightly when tapping the retaining pin in place. 

This would be a lot easier than drilling a hole thru that steel button, then tapping it for a screw. The only way to get the hole drilled properly would be to indicate it in a lathe. Preferably on a 4 jaw Chuck. Trying to punch out the hole with a drill press is likely going to be off. 

I knock mine most of the way out with a Starrett punch while pressing the button in slightly. The punch isn’t quite long enough to knock it all the way out. So I then use a set of transfer punches.

The larger diameter Starrett punches will last a lifetime. The smaller ones are consider consumable and are easily destroyed. Particularly 3/32 and 1/8 punches.