Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

new to me. sighting in my scalarworks mounted rmr

I'm old school have a trijicon acog on my ar rifle.purchased a scalarworks mount and a 1 moa trijicon rmr for my m4. have never used a rmr  before. got it mounted. My main question is, when you talk about co witnessing should my dot be adjusted just a hair over the front site?  wouldn't make sense to have it hitting the center of the front site blade and no dot on the target. have never used this type of site before,please excuse this ignorant question.  and feel free to school me.. thanks for not laughing. like I said never even looked through a red dot till now.

Well I will give you what I did. I do not claim to be an expert or anything, so take that for what you will. I used a laser bore sight to adjust my rmr to proper point of aim. After I did that, I took it to the range and verified it. I was surprised to learn that my bored sight got me right on the money. Personally, I want to say that I noticed a small amount of dot shift (parallax?), depending upon the angle that looked at the dot through. Someone else here might be able to tell you the outcome of zeroing the RMR to just the sights. The method I used work really well for me, but I do realize that not everyone has access to a laser bore sight.

Edited by MNtadpole

i'm going to the backyard and shoot some slugs and figure it out.  zeroing it is not going to be a problem it's working around the front site I was questioning and the co witness thing. I'm not going to remove front site.

17 hours ago, ruger said:

Was worried about nothing,, dot zeroed, sits a hair above front site post.

What distance did you zero it to?  Just curious as I will have to do the same thing soon.

I have a place in my back yard I can shoot out to 75 yards  due to dense woods that's about it. so  I zero it at that distance. only because I like to see what the gun can do with different slugs at this range. I will never shoot past 100 yards so thats why I zero at  where I do. I did notice after first slug fired was about 4 inches to the right of bulls eye the next 5 shots were about 8 inches below center  shooting off a gun rest. so after adjustment for elevation pattern came up a bit,,.guess after first shot  the optic seated it's self ???. the best I could do off a rest was about a 4 inch group with rem.sluggers. will try the federal truballs tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

I can't get 4 inch groups shooting off a sand bag most are about 5-6 with maybe 1 bulls eye if i'm lucky without a optic. my problem is shooting slugs i tend to jerk a small amount just normal reflex  i'm trying to teach myself not to. my AR 5.56 isn't so much a problem my savage 22lr bolt rifle no jerking at all. but slugs you know the recoil is on it's way. lol.

Ruger -You might want to try a Limbsaver pad. They help a lot with slugs. It might help manage your flinch. 

This is one of the reasons I ditched the iron sights. Too much clutter in the field of view. If your optic is being obstructed by your iron front sight post, you’re robbing your gun If it’s potential. If you have a crisp 1 moa dot laying on your front sight which is like 20moa across, you’ve effectively made your firearm a lot less accurate. If your front sight is 20moa, you’re obstructing 20 inches of target at a 100 yards. 1moa would be 1 inch. In an ideal world, the dot would float just above the front sight post for an absolute co-witness or reside in the lower 1/3 quadrant or the optic for a mount set above absolute. 

There is an adage that you will shoot 10x worse when it counts due to stress, adrenalin, second guessing your actions, movement, utilizing cover, environmental issues, fear, and so on. This is why a lot of law enforcement pepper a subject with several magazines full of rounds and have a 10-20% hit ratio. It’s easy to make fun of this low scoring when you hold up a paper target and crow about doing a NRA pistol instructor course or fire. So a 5” pattern when you have all the time in the world Might turn into a 50” pattern in the field. 

Another big variable with a shotgun is you’re using a larger variety of ammunition’s than a rifle. One brand of slugs will perform different than another. Buckshot will pattern differently as well as birdshot. All will be affected by chokes installed. 

In the end, does it matter? If you’re hunting deer, it might. If you’re hunting, you should stick to a certain round, sight it in and continue with that until you need to make a change. Then you’ll need to go thru the sighting in process again. For a home defense gun, the ranges are almost certainly going to be a lot closer. Room distances and maybe the length of your driveway distances. Buckshot patterns will be fist sized at this range and if you sighted slugs in for 50 yards, you’ll be with an inch or so due to parallax. 

thanks for the advice.trying to train myself to just slowly pull the trigger and kink of zone out the thought of the pending recoil. and ignore it. I have never shot anything but slugs through my m4. I have a 870 that I have put a lot of different types of shells through it. don't shoot the 870 much anymore just the m4. I have the brightness dialed way down on the rmr and seems to help with shot placement. it's kind of hard to pick up the 870 when you have the benelli next to it. I have a wilson combat 5.56 that I have put thousands of rounds thru over the last 15 years.. the thought of flinch doesn't really come into play with that caliber.

This is why I don't have to shoot more than about 75 yards, got to protect my 4 beagles. a lot of dogs get taken in my county in northern wisconsin  by coyotes and wolves.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

Cute Beagle!

I keep my Benelli full of Hexolite32 steel slugs and at the ready solely for black bear. Any other problem is going to get .223. Even then, I’d only spank a bear or other predator if I absolutely had to. I put up all my 4K surveillance cameras hoping to catch one walking thru the yard. No luck yet!

Oh, and maybe Bigfoot. He gets the Benelli too. 

Edited by StrangerDanger

I could never shoot a wolf. they are protected here in wi. have gone into the yard with a 9mm fired off rounds to chase one off last year. the bears are around all the time. my problem is if the dogs get a wiff they bolt chasing it.and i got to tromp through the woods after them. the coyotes their the real problem.have had to shoot a few. these dogs are nothing but a snack for a coyote, and coyotes are dam smart predators.

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Oh, and maybe Bigfoot. He gets the Benelli too. 

Whatcha got against Bigfoot.  He'd probably just looking for a Jack Links snack.

On the other hand, chupacabra gets the Benelli....

19 hours ago, ruger said:

I could never shoot a wolf. they are protected here in wi. have gone into the yard with a 9mm fired off rounds to chase one off last year. the bears are around all the time. my problem is if the dogs get a wiff they bolt chasing it.and i got to tromp through the woods after them. the coyotes their the real problem.have had to shoot a few. these dogs are nothing but a snack for a coyote, and coyotes are dam smart predators.

Ever have to deal with a Hodag?  ;)

Edited by Lincoln62