M4 - Federal Grand Ammo?

beantownace

Hello all,

Question.  I was looking for a low recoil target load to start with the M4 before moving to buckshot with a bad shoulder.   I had slim pickings today as ammo hard to come by these days where I am.  I had a few options with one being Remington light target load but it was 1145 FPS.   I decided to go with a Federal Grand gold medal says Competition clay 2 3/4 7.5 shot but its 1200 FPS I believe birdshot as I have 9MM but it is my 1st long gun.   Did I make an okay decision with that vs the 1145 FPS as I am just gonna use it for target shooting at the range which allows birdshot.   Once I get comfortable and break the cherry see how the shoulder does I will move up to buckshot.   I am just hoping it will cycle okay and I have been reading 1200 FPS+ is best for the benelli.

Any thoughts appreciated. Tx

Edited by beantownace

All semi-auto shotguns (yes, even Benelli) can be finicky about the ammo it likes.  It's like Forrest Gump's mama said, " . . . you never know what you're gonna get."  There are a plethora of threads here from folks who have issues with their Benelli (fill in the blank) not reliably cycling along with a plethora of different answers about what works and what doesn't.  You will find that the Federal Grand is or isn't an okay decision when you actually take it out and shoot it.  I've got M1/2's and 4's and each version has different loads they just don't like and sometimes it isn't consistent between different guns of the same model.  After much trial and error, I've found loads that are consistent across the board for MY guns. You're dealing with one gun.  Shoot what you got there.  It will either work or it won't.  If it works for you, all the better and buy more.  If it's inconsistent, move on to something else.

Edited by truckcop