Can't Take Possession of My New M4, 11795 Thanks NICS Outage... Yea Right

DEBWB

Went to pick up my brand new M4, 11795s today and walked out empty handed thanks to a government bureaucracy known as the NICS. Apparently they did some early morning computer maintenance and as no surprise; the system is now not working. FFL is supposed to let me know when it's back up, but who knows when that will be. Even when you can legally  purchase; you can't. Now I know what a felon feels like...

It's now Friday, 2 days latter and I've been delayed since Wednesday night. I've read a couple articles claiming the longer the delay goes on; the more likely you will be denied. I personally know I have absolutely nothing in my history that would legitimately disqualify me for purchase. I've read about the appeals process and I'm sure not looking forward to that... I haven't ask him, but I don't think my FFL is willing to release after the third business day when it allegedly reverts to open and he could. Apparently, it's at the FFLs discretion; which to me means no way or I could get sued. This bothers me to no end and I feel like I'm being denied my property. Any thoughts or actual experience stories are more than welcome.

I’m a FFL. Did you list your SSI on the form? If you have a common name, it can cause issues without the social. The ATF has been emailing me in the past week about an outage with their system. I believe it has been resolved. 

Does your state have a provision for using a CCW to bypass the background check? This is the best solution moving forward. It completely eliminates the need for involving NICS. I have had delays occur for 30 days in the past then show up as Proceed. 

Unfortunately, I do/ did not include SS # on the 4473 and I am regretting this to no end at this point. Can I ask my FFL to add it at this time or is it too late or no longer matters. In 35 years of purchases; I've never had this problem.

Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. My anxiety got the best of me which convinced me I was going to eventually be denied. My FFL called this afternoon with the good news and my new M4s are home where they belong. He said about 90% of his submissions were coming back delayed. Sounds like the delays are running around 48 hours. Thanks again everyone; it always helps to vent this stuff out.

We've been getting slow response and DELAY all day.  My guess it's the "upgrade" they did earlier this week.  As far as the possibility of DENIED happening, that will usually happen same day.  Of course the system has been overwhelmed since the beginning of the Wuhan Flu and that may play into the overall scheme of things.  Personally I wouldn't worry until you get the call saying; "bad news".  As far as timing goes, the day it's entered and Friday thru Sunday don't count against the Brady date.  So by my ATF calculator, you've only gone one day.  And yes, the appeal process is long, drawn out and a PITA.  But if you don't appeal, then the guns you own now will be all that you will own buying through a FFL.

1 minute ago, DEBWB said:

Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. My anxiety got the best of me which convinced me I was going to eventually be denied. My FFL called this afternoon with the good news and my new M4s are home where they belong. He said about 90% of his submissions were coming back delayed. Sounds like the delays are running around 48 hours. Thanks again everyone; it always helps to vent this stuff out.

I was typing at the same time you were.  Good news for sure!