Super Black Eagle 3 shooting high

Siamak

Hi,

There are lots of conversation in the internet that SBE III shoots high. I heard from a Youtube Channel called "American Arms Channel" that Benelli has fixed this issue  the date code on the serial late 2018 and later . So can anyone help me if this is true?

Thanks,

Edited by Siamak

The SBE 3 does not shoot high, with exception, there were some very early build gun from 2017 that shot high. Everything beyond the few 2017's  shoot a great 60/40 pattern.  I have patterns from Multiple Rob Roberts SBE 3 Performance shop guns that verify great patterns 60/40.  These very same guns I laser sighted, they shoot exactly where they are pointed, again a near perfect 60/40 pattern vertical and perfect 50/50 side to side. The pellet counts are near perfect. I currently have 5 SBE 3's from the Performance Shop all documenting patterns as described.

I can not say with 100% accuracy what fitting components where changed in the design & assemble of the SBE 3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased a Super Black Eagle 3 the last weekend of August, mine definitely shoots high, at least 80/20.  I have run about 200 or so rounds through it at clay pigeons, and I have to float the birds quite a bit or I shoot over them.  Love the shotgun, haven't messed with the drop shims yet, as I need to do more research on which way I would need to go,  Also thinking about installing a slightly larger front bead.  Worst case, I shoot enough clays so that the POI becomes second nature.  I purchased this shotgun for waterfowl and upland hunting primarily, clay pigeons are just an incredibly fun distraction.

5 minutes ago, Siamak said:

So if this is the case, what if I want to use slug for deer hunting. Does it shoot high or it shoots high when pointing to the birds? I mean the difference between aiming and pointing, do you guys still think it shoots high in both situations?

Would you be shooting slugs from a Rifled Slug Barrel or from a Field Barrel?

9 minutes ago, remarkable said:

Would you be shooting slugs from a Rifled Slug Barrel or from a Field Barrel?

I don't know if SBE3 comes with Rifled Barrel, In my previous post, I mean shooting slug from a field barrel, (same barrel that is used for bird hunting in SBE3).

The Super Black Eagle 3 (10379 ) is a black synthetic with a rifled barrel.  When doing a pellet count on a SBE 3 you would see a very evenly distributed pellet count with 60% high and 40% lower of your Point Of Aim.  Every SBE 3 from the performance shop comes with actual pellet count  patterns. 

If you could give me a day or two I can set up a SBE 3 with Optics and laser sight, to confirm POA shooting slugs, knowing your ammo, yardages, drops are more than like going to be much bigger factors than true POA on a this shotgun.

I have worked on several M2 slug guns 20 gauges that shoot extremely well out to 140 yards, POA was centered.

SBE 3 owners and 828U owners who report "Shooting High" are not fitted for the shotgun, I have fit several 828U owners who SENSE the barrel coming up high then need adjustments using the Benelli fitting system which is quite comprehensive on a 828U.

Please remember the very first SBE 1's imported by H&K could be ordered with a High or Low rib,  most shotgun owners do not even know there guns shoot a 60% high pattern, the gun is designed for these results.

• Upvote 1

More drop will lower your pattern. More cast will move your pattern right.Cast Off is for most right handed people.

If the gun shoots low, then you need a thinner shim. If your high, use a thicker shim. What most shooters want is a 60/40 pattern. Where 60% of your pattern is high and 40% is lower. Be sure with the locking plate (the part thats heavy and goes in the stock) to use the corresponding plate that matches the shim that you use.

Please remember these are very minor adjustment.

6 hours ago, remarkable said:

The Super Black Eagle 3 (10379 ) is a black synthetic with a rifled barrel.  When doing a pellet count on a SBE 3 you would see a very evenly distributed pellet count with 60% high and 40% lower of your Point Of Aim.  Every SBE 3 from the performance shop comes with actual pellet count  patterns. 

If you could give me a day or two I can set up a SBE 3 with Optics and laser sight, to confirm POA shooting slugs, knowing your ammo, yardages, drops are more than like going to be much bigger factors than true POA on a this shotgun.

I have worked on several M2 slug guns 20 gauges that shoot extremely well out to 140 yards, POA was centered.

SBE 3 owners and 828U owners who report "Shooting High" are not fitted for the shotgun, I have fit several 828U owners who SENSE the barrel coming up high then need adjustments using the Benelli fitting system which is quite comprehensive on a 828U.

Please remember the very first SBE 1's imported by H&K could be ordered with a High or Low rib,  most shotgun owners do not even know there guns shoot a 60% high pattern, the gun is designed for these results.

Thank you. I was under the impression that it it shoots high (I mean with field barrel), and if this is due to the design of the barrel, it might shoot high with slugs too but as you mentioned, this needs to be tested. I don't know if the chock used for slug can impact POI but I leave it to you after you test the shotgun with slugs.

On 9/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, Siamak said:

Thank you. I was under the impression that it it shoots high (I mean with field barrel), and if this is due to the design of the barrel, it might shoot high with slugs too but as you mentioned, this needs to be tested. I don't know if the chock used for slug can impact POI but I leave it to you after you test the shotgun with slugs.

SBE 3 testing with slugs:

Slug Barrel - perfectly centered POA

28" Bird Barrel - POA - below center- POA shooting slugs, knowing your ammo, yardages, drops are more than likely going to be bigger factors than true POA on a this shotgun.

• 3 months later...

Hi I'm new to this forum 

but to day we shimmed my SB3 with the max Shim tested it with my Muller UFO choke the gun still shot HIGH about a good 80% above my aim 

i will keep on playing with shims but i know of the bolt on the Magazine that needs to be loosened to power the point of Impact but mine won't budge 

i heard that it must be heated or torched to loosen it 

mine won't budge 

look at this video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1TbHGkY3M

• 2 months later...

So I bought a SBE 3 about a month ago. (FEBRUARY 2021) I was very excited to shoot the gun and pattern for turkey.  At 25 yards, the gun shot 8-10 inches high. I was very disappointed.  I went and bought a Beretta A400 xtreme plus and it shoots right on the money,  50/50 , maybe 60/40. I feel much more confident shooting the Beretta.  I really wish the SBE 3 patterned like the Beretta.  What is causing this with benelli? They both have similar ribs.  The shims didn't help at all.  There's no reason the benelli should shoot that high.  And if it's meant to shoot that high,  then they should put a disclaimer on it to warn customers.  It's a very expensive shotgun to be shooting way high. 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, Elviog said:

Hi I'm new to this forum 

but to day we shimmed my SB3 with the max Shim tested it with my Muller UFO choke the gun still shot HIGH about a good 80% above my aim 

i will keep on playing with shims but i know of the bolt on the Magazine that needs to be loosened to power the point of Impact but mine won't budge 

i heard that it must be heated or torched to loosen it 

mine won't budge 

look at this video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1TbHGkY3M

We're you able to fix the issue?? My sbe 3 was made in 2020 and shoots really high.  I'm super bummed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 8:16 PM, remarkable said:

The SBE 3 does not shoot high, with exception, there were some very early build gun from 2017 that shot high. Everything beyond the few 2017's  shoot a great 60/40 pattern.  I have patterns from Multiple Rob Roberts SBE 3 Performance shop guns that verify great patterns 60/40.  These very same guns I laser sighted, they shoot exactly where they are pointed, again a near perfect 60/40 pattern vertical and perfect 50/50 side to side. The pellet counts are near perfect. I currently have 5 SBE 3's from the Performance Shop all documenting patterns as described.

I can not say with 100% accuracy what fitting components where changed in the design & assemble of the SBE 3.

I completely disagree with your contention that the SBE3 doesn't shoot high.  I have the 8 pattern targets shot at 20 yards last week using two different chokes and four brands of ammo that say otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Mike,

I would very much like to shoot your gun, the pattern work that I have documented as well as the patterns that are provided by Rob Roberts in the Waterfowl Edition show a perfect 60/40 pattern high.  This how the gun was designed.  It would be very interesting to see how your gun is fitted to you.

If you are unhappy with your Benelli in a RMA and have them inspect your gun and test fire it.

All well made sporting shotguns shoot 60/40 patterns some Trap type guns shoot 70/30.  It appears by your message we really do not have a disagreement, you admit that your SBE 3 shoots high, I concur, it should.

Please let me know how I can help you.  a great Benelli video is out on you tube on you to adjust and change your drop on your SBE 3.

Mark

I started this discussion last August but after couple of months researching about Benelli SBE III last year  I finally ended up with Benelli super Vinci. It is a great gun. Looks good and shoots good. 3.5" chamber and it has all I need plus it does not shoot high.