Super Black Eagle 3 shooting high

Siamak

2 minutes ago, Siamak said:

I started this discussion last August but after couple of months researching about Benelli SBE III last year  I finally ended up with Benelli super Vinci. It is a great gun. Looks good and shoots good. 3.5" chamber and it has all I need plus it does not shoot high.

The Super Vinci is a great gun, I very much like this gun as well, I noticed very little muzzle rise when shooting this gun.  I am delighted that you found a model that fits not only your needs but how the guns fits you.

The Vinci does have a tendency to collect debris and powder on the bolt, you may want to keep this area clean by removing the bolt frequently, anticipated recoil spring life will be about 8 years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, remarkable said:

The Super Vinci is a great gun, I very much like this gun as well, I noticed very little muzzle rise when shooting this gun.  I am delighted that you found a model that fits not only your needs but how the guns fits you.

The Vinci does have a tendency to collect debris and powder on the bolt, you may want to keep this area clean by removing the bolt frequently, anticipated recoil spring life will be about 8 years.

Thank you.
Last year, I was about to buy a Montefeltro Silver Shotgun (28") since I love the look, design and the engraving. Apart from reliability , the look of a shotgun is a very important for me but the only reason that caused  I changed my mind was that it does not come with sling swivel stud on the stock and I don't like to install it on an expensive shotgun like Montefeltro . Finally I purchased a Benelli Super Vinici and I am very happy with my decision. 

Edited by Siamak

It is believed that seeing your target is one component of becoming proficient in shooting a shotgun at moving targets.  How your shotgun fits you would be a determining factor in how each guns patterns.  Most well made shotguns used for hunting, there are exceptions, shoot a 60/40 pattern high which allows the shooter to see the target rather than cover the target.  

The M2 should shoot 60/40 if you sense that it does not and you would like it to,  review the Benelli Video, "How to adjust drop and cast on the Super Black Eagle 3".  This is a great resource to assist in understanding cause and effect adjustments to a Benelli shotgun.

Is there any specific distance where the pattern is measured?  Seems like only a 50/50 gun would have a stable pattern ratio, ignoring drop.  But, any 60/40 or 70/30 gun would rise continuously, again ignoring drop.  So just wondering if manufacturers have established guidelines for the distance used for publishing pattern data.  The shot drop will also overcome the pattern at some point, maybe 50 yards or so depending on the barrel angle.

• 9 months later...

I've got the same problem with my new 2021 SBE3 shooting high 80/20 and left. Sent it to Benelli and they adjusted the barrel stop ring in attempt to correct the POI, which didn't improve. Now the gun is back at Benelli because my barrel lug has a .015" gap between it and the barrel stop ring, following their original repair. I sent an email to Benelli's Carter Miller explaining my concern with their botched repair and it fell of deaf ears. Now I have a gun that was potentially damaged because of being fired with the barrel stop ring not being in contact with the barrel lug. I never expected this kind of poor quality and unprofessional service from Benelli. Do not buy a SBE3 unless you pattern it first! 

Also, Benelli's canned response that European guns shoot high while looking down a flat rib is false. I've been calling Benelli dealers every day to share my story and they all agree that when looking down a flat rib the gun should pattern close to 50/50. One can raise the stock if they choose to raise the POI of the gun.

Now I'm waiting to get my SBE3 back from Benelli's repair shop, so to ensure that it is still safe to shoot prior to trading it in and taking a huge loss on this $1500 boat anchor.

• Upvote 1

Just picked up a Benelli SBE3 in 3" with 28" barrel this week.  I was worried about all the past input from owners whose patterns where really high, with most looking like 100% above point of aim.  Just wanted to show what a sample of a current model (3" chamber) is shooting.  I patterned it from a rest at 25yds with 3 shots to get a good average.  The circle is 30" and I was using the factory full choke.  67% above point of aim, 33% below.  To me, that's about perfect for waterfowl hunting.  It all worked for me yesterday while hunting in some really rough conditions (Iceded over water so just passing birds and 8 degrees).  I will obviously need to shoot it a bunch more, but initial impressions are good.  

6DA920EB-C084-42F8-9023-FC1B7BBCE08D.heic 152CB3F6-2774-471E-887B-EA6FB0DB3833.heic

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have been very dissatisfied and disappointed with my Benelli left hand SB3 I bought it December 2020, my gun shop  had just received it in. I had ordered it special being left handed, I took it out the following day that I bought it and was missing ducks left and right. I was very frustrated and thought it was my shooting. My buddy who had a old Rem 870 had almost limited out asked to swap guns with me for his last duck of his 7 duck limit. Mind you I had not killed a duck yet.  As far as hunting goes, It was awesome day of late season Idaho duck hunting on the snake River with lots of birds working the river. We didn’t have to wait long for more birds to come in. On next flock of ducks that sailed right into our spread wings cupped like they had been all morning, I ended up with a double with the 870 and my did the missing with 3 shot out of my Benelli.  Our dog had just retrieved my two birds and we barely had time to reload our guns when another small flock of mallards came diving into our spread. Same results, I had two ducks down in the water and my buddy, missed again with all three shots. He asked for his 870 back and we didn’t have to wait long and he killed his last duck, and I missed again with all three shots. At that point we both knew it wasn’t our shooting that was the problem but the gun. I then decided to shoot at a small piece of ice floating by about the size of a clay pigeon 20 yards out to see where the heck the gun was shooting. To say we were both shocked when the pattern hit way above the piece of ice. I ended up finishing off my limit of birds with his 870. And was angry and determined to figure out why my new SB3 shoot so high.  Now a year and a half later I still own the gun, it’s been sent into Benelli twice, I have all the right shims on it and even have a high viz sight on the end of the barrel as well as bought different chokes for it. And guess what it still shoots super high. I had hopes of Turkey hunting with it but no way is that possible. We even tried to pattern it from a rifle rest to take all human error out of it.  With shooting from a rifle rest at the range it’s shoots/patterns 100/0 high at 22 yards. That’s ridiculous and not acceptable imo.  I have not sold the gun or traded it off, I am a gun collector, and I own most of the waterfowl shotguns on the market. This year my Browning Maxxis 2 and Beretta A400 will be traded back and forth on my waterfowl hunts. Both of them shoot a near perfect, 60/40 pattern.  So if looking to get  a new shotgun, I can get behind and support most of them on the market today, but not Benelli, I would caution anyone that wants to buy a Benelli, and that’s a shame for such a prestigious gun manufacturer. 

Jason Liebe

Blackfoot, Idaho

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/14/2022 at 8:18 AM, idahoelkinstructor said:

I have been very dissatisfied and disappointed with my Benelli left hand SB3 I bought it December 2020, my gun shop  had just received it in. I had ordered it special being left handed, I took it out the following day that I bought it and was missing ducks left and right. I was very frustrated and thought it was my shooting. My buddy who had a old Rem 870 had almost limited out asked to swap guns with me for his last duck of his 7 duck limit. Mind you I had not killed a duck yet.  As far as hunting goes, It was awesome day of late season Idaho duck hunting on the snake River with lots of birds working the river. We didn’t have to wait long for more birds to come in. On next flock of ducks that sailed right into our spread wings cupped like they had been all morning, I ended up with a double with the 870 and my did the missing with 3 shot out of my Benelli.  Our dog had just retrieved my two birds and we barely had time to reload our guns when another small flock of mallards came diving into our spread. Same results, I had two ducks down in the water and my buddy, missed again with all three shots. He asked for his 870 back and we didn’t have to wait long and he killed his last duck, and I missed again with all three shots. At that point we both knew it wasn’t our shooting that was the problem but the gun. I then decided to shoot at a small piece of ice floating by about the size of a clay pigeon 20 yards out to see where the heck the gun was shooting. To say we were both shocked when the pattern hit way above the piece of ice. I ended up finishing off my limit of birds with his 870. And was angry and determined to figure out why my new SB3 shoot so high.  Now a year and a half later I still own the gun, it’s been sent into Benelli twice, I have all the right shims on it and even have a high viz sight on the end of the barrel as well as bought different chokes for it. And guess what it still shoots super high. I had hopes of Turkey hunting with it but no way is that possible. We even tried to pattern it from a rifle rest to take all human error out of it.  With shooting from a rifle rest at the range it’s shoots/patterns 100/0 high at 22 yards. That’s ridiculous and not acceptable imo.  I have not sold the gun or traded it off, I am a gun collector, and I own most of the waterfowl shotguns on the market. This year my Browning Maxxis 2 and Beretta A400 will be traded back and forth on my waterfowl hunts. Both of them shoot a near perfect, 60/40 pattern.  So if looking to get  a new shotgun, I can get behind and support most of them on the market today, but not Benelli, I would caution anyone that wants to buy a Benelli, and that’s a shame for such a prestigious gun manufacturer. 

Jason Liebe

Blackfoot, Idaho

Did Benelli send you the patterning results after the gun was shot at Benelli USA?  Did they include any comments about the results they established during the test shooting?  

Here is a image of established pellet counts. Remembering the pellet count is taken from the center of the 6" circle target.

image.png.3836d305930fbceae25c2a8c9e373599.pngimage.png.3836d305930fbceae25c2a8c9e373599.pngimage.png.3836d305930fbceae25c2a8c9e373599.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/14/2022 at 8:18 AM, idahoelkinstructor said:

Jason Liebe

Blackfoot, Idaho

I will say this an like me you do a lot of duck hunting, I did notice from my montefeltro lined up perfect with my M2 I noticed the rib on the top of the barrel on my M2 is not flat like the montefeltro the M2 starts to rise from the front of the barrel an gradually gets taller at the end of the barrel I'm hopping that's what it is cause I had the same problem, if the birds were flying that morning I had my limit no more than an hour, I'm actually working on it now, I have a buddy ylthat just got the a300 Beretta an his gun is shooting high

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/14/2022 at 6:18 AM, idahoelkinstructor said:

Jason Liebe

Blackfoot, Idaho

I have tried for 3 years to get my SBE3 dialed in. I am generally a pretty good shot but yesterday it took me 30 shells to kill 7 ducks - WTF?  The thing is - it is duck hunting, we miss. But, cupping birds at 20-30 or birds elevating on your 2nd shot are about as easy as it gets. Missing those shots just pisses me off.  It is getting expensive and I think my dog might bite me!!!