Which choke tube?

Hey guys,

I just bought a Super Nova and plan to shoot federal black cloud loads. Do you have recommendations on what size and with what choke tube would be best for ducks and geese? Is it ok to use the factory choke tubes or should I buy the black cloud one from carlsons?

I am pretty new to waterfowl, so probably won’t be shooting over 40 yards much. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I would start with the factory flush modified or improved cylinder.  Benelli barrels are not oversized and in some cases, aftermarket chokes have been known to be off center or cocked thus distorting the point of aim. Or you can do like I did and waist money on an aftermarket choke for my M2, two of them to be exact. 

I edited this and it would let me change the original reply so here is the edited reply. 

I would start with the factory flush modified or improved cylinder.  Benelli barrels are not oversized.  A very tight choke can distort the steel shot patterns. .702 from a Kicks HF Full in my Crio M2 is way too much choke for steel shot in my experience. After 20 yards, my patterns go haywire and in my experience, the Kicks HF F prints way high. I am getting 87%-90% patterns at 35 yards with a Carlson’s Cremator Non-Ported Mid Range (.707) with Winchester XPert Lr now Super X 1-1/4 #2’s and Hevi-Steel 1-1/4 # 4’s. I am clumsy and use an extended choke to protect the muzzle and that’s the only reason. 

In some cases, aftermarket chokes have been known to be off center or cocked thus distorting the point of aim. Be aware this can happen. With a Carlson’s or Trulock, you’re not going to break the bank of the choke doesn’t work out for you. 

Also, my experience with Benelli’s is that they handle like upland flushing shotguns with 60% of the pattern being above the line of sight and 40% being below. Keep that in mind on Duck’s coming in. You need to be sure and shoot where they are going to be. With the Benelli, you can place the barrel a little under the Duck and still be on. But, don’t look at the front bead, just look a little under the Duck. On the rise, Ducks will be easier to hit. If you hunt flooded timber like I do, as in real flooded timber in AR, when a Duck is coming in, be careful. Often, when they appear to be dropping straight down, they are drifting slightly to your left or right. 

Enjoy the process. 

• 1 year later...

Hello. For ducks and geese, it seems to me that this buckshot is best suited. I've been duck hunting for a lot of years. It helps me to relax after hard work. It seems to me that this is a great hobby. Therefore , over the years I have been able to find the best version of buckshot for myself . I like to bring home a big catch, so I do not spare charges for ducks and geese. A great solution for those who, like me, like hunting big. The last time I was able to shoot the biggest duck in all the time I am fond of hunting. Would anyone like to take a look?

Edited by Liverskaya

• 7 months later...
On 9/24/2020 at 7:23 AM, Will Beararms said:

I edited this and it would let me change the original reply so here is the edited reply. 

I would start with the factory flush modified or improved cylinder.  Benelli barrels are not oversized.  A very tight choke can distort the steel shot patterns. .702 from a Kicks HF Full in my Crio M2 is way too much choke for steel shot in my experience. After 20 yards, my patterns go haywire and in my experience, the Kicks HF F prints way high. I am getting 87%-90% patterns at 35 yards with a Carlson’s Cremator Non-Ported Mid Range (.707) with Winchester XPert Lr now Super X 1-1/4 #2’s and Hevi-Steel 1-1/4 # 4’s. I am clumsy and use an extended choke to protect the muzzle and that’s the only reason. 

In some cases, aftermarket chokes have been known to be off center or cocked thus distorting the point of aim. Be aware this can happen. With a Carlson’s or Trulock, you’re not going to break the bank of the choke doesn’t work out for you. 

Also, my experience with Benelli’s is that they handle like upland flushing shotguns with 60% of the pattern being above the line of sight and 40% being below. Keep that in mind on Duck’s coming in. You need to be sure and shoot where they are going to be. With the Benelli, you can place the barrel a little under the Duck and still be on. But, don’t look at the front bead, just look a little under the Duck. On the rise, Ducks will be easier to hit. If you hunt flooded timber like I do, as in real flooded timber in AR, when a Duck is coming in, be careful. Often, when they appear to be dropping straight down, they are drifting slightly to your left or right. 

Enjoy the process. 

Modified is always a good starting point for black cloud ammo. There's several black cloud specific chokes available now, I think Carlson's makes one. Cabelas has the Black Maxx.