No Choke Barrel on the M4

Joey Zuppa

Just landed a new M4 Shotgun, thought it was the model with the adjustable stock and barrel with the few different chokes. Must have been a misunderstanding, when I was on the phone with the gun shop after my first visit to the shop and prior to going in the 2nd time to make the purchase. Obviously in my first visit I was shown a different model than in my 2nd visit. Not a problem, even though I got the more expensive skeletonized model with no chokes, I really love it. I'm sure I confused myself after going home and researching the different Benellis.

My fault for dilly dallying and not making the purchase the first time when I just happened to walk in the shop when they literally 5 minutes earlier put it on the shelf. My timing was impeccable. 

After that long introduction, my question is, what is this M4 without the chokes made to best shoot? I'm figuring Slugs and Buck, but should slugs be rifled or Sabot? I don't think Benelli made this one to shoot the smaller stuff, but I'm not long gun savvy, I'm more experienced with handguns. 

Any input would be much appreciated. 

Thank you,

Jz

That's the military model with a fixed choke. I believe it's modified or improved cylinder. Either way regular (Remington Sluggers for example) slugs, 00 buck should break it in. After 100 or so rounds try some target loads. The m4 can eat anything except mini-shells without a hiccup given a proper break in period.

1 hour ago, ClackClackBAM said:

Hmm... I'm surprised to hear that. I thought all M4s came with a choked barrel. 
Either way, congrats on your impeccable timing. That makes owning this gun all the more sweet since there is an awesome story to go with it!

Yes, I walked in at the right time and they are very courteous at the shop towards their customers, especially retired guys like me. It is a fixed barrel like the other gentleman stated.

1 hour ago, Pack Rat said:

That's the military model with a fixed choke. I believe it's modified or improved cylinder. Either way regular (Remington Sluggers for example) slugs, 00 buck should break it in. After 100 or so rounds try some target loads. The m4 can eat anything except mini-shells without a hiccup given a proper break in period.

Thank you for the info, yes, it is the Military or LE version. I'm retired LE and Fire Service so I am qualified for the purchase. I just have to up my game and knowledge with the long guns. I'll take your advice and go slowly with the breaking in  period, gonna make sure it goes to my son in about 20 years in good order, he's jumping at the bit already and I just picked it up 3 days ago. 

4 hours ago, Pack Rat said:

I'd definitely consider the m4 heirloom worthy. Good choice! You'll find a lot of useful archived threads in regards to the m4. Welcome!

Can I get your take on the Benelli M4 Tactical as opposed to the Benelli M1014 that I have? Any positives or significant differences on each one?

42 minutes ago, Joey Zuppa said:

Can I get your take on the Benelli M4 Tactical as opposed to the Benelli M1014 that I have? Any positives or significant differences on each one?

I think a pro for the mil. model is the fact that it's more or less a fighting gun that can do it all. A con is the fixed stock position.

The m4 tactical has the 3 position buffer tube to adjust length of pull on the OEM collapsible stock and modular choke system. 

I own the tac model because I don't have longer arms for that fixed length of pull on the mil model. Otherwise I originally would have went that direction. If you ever want the 3 position tube it can be done. There's how to guides and a wealth of knowledge here thanks to Stranger Danger,Benelliwerkes and many others.

Edited by Pack Rat

I think that the M4 model with a 3 position collapsable stock is the model that "has it all." With the M1014 or "military model" you don't have the option to change to any choke you wish, or collapse the stock. Thereby you've lost flexibility. It's a modified choke which may not allow the best accuracy when shooting slugs.

Benelli's website states that it is not "safe" to shoot slugs with any choke tighter than an IC. I know, I know,....lots of people do it but Benelli is obviously against it.

https://www.benelliusa.com/support/faq

Edited by Evolution

I spoke with someone at Benelli and they stated it would be fine to shoot rifled slugs with the factory M1014 fixed barrel that is actually a slightly oversized Modified Choke Barrel. I called to find out what my options would be to have the flexibility and he stated that I could buy the 18 1/2 " barrel with the different sized chokes if I wanted to go ahead and spend the extra $$$, so I will probably follow the above break in advice from Pack Rat and take my time with the other options. Then again, there is another option I am thinking about $$$