Gunsmith Screwdrivers

ClackClackBAM

oh boi, it can get pretty spendy. 

I stick with PB Swiss, but you get limited sizes. Brownells has a huge selection of sizes, but they aren't as nicely finished. Wera is also pretty good, they make hi-torque bits perfect for optics.

I recommend PB Swiss punches as well, especially since they have a extra long 2.5mm punch that nobody else makes (useful for the shell stop lever).

• Upvote 2

Brownells has a decent set of drivers with fixed handles and wood storage blocks. They even have brass name plates they custom make for you. Such as my daughter got me the set for one Father’s Day. 
Brownells also has their Magnabit set which has a lot more bits. I bought four of their derlin organizers so I could spread out the collections of 1/4 bits and organize them a little better and add to the collection. The driver handle options Magnabit has are really nice. The bits will fit into torque drivers. Seekonk makes excellent dial indicator torque wrenches of various torque ranges in the 1/4 size. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you for all of the feedback! I will start looking into these now.

As for punches I have two sets of Starrett, one steel and the other brass so I think I'm set on those. I wish I had known about that extra long punch sooner as that project was a pain in the ass without having a proper vice to hold the gun. 

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Brownells has a decent set of drivers with fixed handles and wood storage blocks. They even have brass name plates they custom make for you. Such as my daughter got me the set for one Father’s Day. 
Brownells also has their Magnabit set which has a lot more bits. I bought four of their derlin organizers so I could spread out the collections of 1/4 bits and organize them a little better and add to the collection. The driver handle options Magnabit has are really nice. The bits will fit into torque drivers. Seekonk makes excellent dial indicator torque wrenches of various torque ranges in the 1/4 size. 

How is the quality on that screwdriver from the recoil reducer from Israel? 

1 hour ago, Vertigofirearms said:

How is the quality on that screwdriver from the recoil reducer from Israel? 

It’s not that great. I need to modify it to thin the blades somewhat to work properly. It’s better than that Weaver Magnabit though. Plus the seller was the worst person I’ve ever dealt with in 20 years on gunbroker. 

• Upvote 1

I have Starrett punches, Grace roll pin punches, Grace brass bunches, Whia and Borka torque tools.

I’d still like to get a set of dedicated screw drivers.  The Wheeler set I have is cheesey and I usually use the Borka bits in it because they are much better quality.

That PB stuff looks pretty good.  I think Grace makes a decent set of dedicated screw drivers but they aren’t cheap and not that many sizes in the set.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ClackClackBAM said:

Well I went to Bass Pro and picked up that tiny Wheeler kit and after just one use it was obvious how shitty it is. 
Secretly hoped I could get away without spending QUITE as much as that PB Swiss set, but it looks to be unavoidable. Although any day getting new tools isn't a bad day.

Yeah, I had similar experience w Wheeler kit punches recently so this thread is timely. 

17 hours ago, Milspec said:

I have Starrett punches, Grace roll pin punches, Grace brass bunches, Whia and Borka torque tools.

I’d still like to get a set of dedicated screw drivers.  The Wheeler set I have is cheesey and I usually use the Borka bits in it because they are much better quality.

That PB stuff looks pretty good.  I think Grace makes a decent set of dedicated screw drivers but they aren’t cheap and not that many sizes in the set.

Huh learn something new. The Grace slotted screwdrivers are parallel tip just like some of the European brands.

Also when y’all decide on full screwdrivers, the handles are pretty important. I really like the Snap-on screwdriver handles, but the tips weren’t that great.

Probably just better for a person to invest in bits first because then you can put it in a torque screwdriver (for optics n’ stuff) and replace them when they get worn.

• Like 1