Ding in gun already.

Longbowsafari

Short version: I idiotically let my gun slide and get a ding the Camo stock about the length a thickness of a thumbnail, having miraculously hit something that I didn't think could even be there . Bugs me like no tomorrow only because I have only had the SBEIII about 3 days and was only patterning it! All my hunting weapons get scratches and dings eventually because I prefer blocking branches with it instead of my face and that doesn't bother me at all but a stupid ding on a new item that I caused because I din't think what happened could happen just bugs me! Can anyone relate? Anyway, with some perm marker you can't notice it (well, anyone but me-LOL!) but is that enough to protect it? Should I drop a little liquid vinyl or something you know about? You can see a little gleam of steel without it. Thank you!!

I feel your pain. 

Bought an M4 May of last year and, literally day one having it home, I was beginning my first ever dissemble to clean and relube and the damn cocking lever loses purchase and skips off of the trigger guard pin, scratches the receiver housing and I died a little inside. 

Upside is I haven’t really worried about babying it since...

B7C60762-603B-48BE-8429-2D1CBADA258B.jpeg

29 minutes ago, RPC said:

I feel your pain. 

Bought an M4 May of last year and, literally day one having it home, I was beginning my first ever dissemble to clean and relube and the damn cocking lever loses purchase and skips off of the trigger guard pin, scratches the receiver housing and I died a little inside. 

Upside is I haven’t really worried about babying it since...

B7C60762-603B-48BE-8429-2D1CBADA258B.jpeg

Good attitude! I seem to do this with a number of things and that's just the way it is! What's weird, about me anyway, is it is that first stupid ding that I always seem to do ( I can immediately think of another gun and bow I did it to) that gets me!  I'm usually the guy who drives his new truck through the woods and doesn't buff out the scratches! It's that "Oh, you stupid idiot, it's brand new! Why did you do that and what was that screw doing sticking out there to even carve a scar?!" Anyway, it was already a long day. I think that might have something to do with it! Thanks so much!

I came here to post what RPC said. Dinging up something new that you love sucks. On the other hand, the first scratch/ding is the hardest and now you don't have the pressure of keeping it pristinte. Going even further, I learned to appreciate the character that some imperfections can add to an item, so now I'm almost relieved when I initially damage something (assuming the damage isn't' too bad. If it is, I just get pissed off haha)

Edited by ClackClackBAM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have some older guns, or otherwise collectible that it breaks my heart when I ding them. But, these rarely get out of the house much anyway. On hunting guns, I grumble then move on.

You are going to think this is BS but it is the truth.

I was pheasant hunting with about 20 other guys in northern Kansas near the Nebraska border. One of the guys grabs a brand new shotgun from the box. Walks over to a barb wire fence and proceeds to run the wooden stock on it. He loads it, shoots a mag full and then turns around. He walks back smiling ear to ear. His response? Now I can hunt with the damn thing and not miss birds because I am babying it. But, in his defense, it was a base model 870 so who cares. LOL

On the other hand, I had a Ruger .44 mag carbine. The gun isn't exactly expensive, probably ~850. But, it was a first year gun and though not mint, it was very nice, especially the stock. It had a forearm barrel band. In the past, if I had left the stock off guns with the barrel band, they have shrunk and I couldn't get the barrel back in. So, I slid a socket that was nice and tight in there. A couple weeks passed and I go to put it back together. My hands slip momentarily; just long enough to move forward and hit socket with enough force to act as a splitting wedge as it cracked the stock from there to the tip. My stomach literally felt sick for several hours. Nothing like damaging an otherwise very nice 60 year old gun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClackClackBAM said:

I came here to post what RPC said. Dinging up something new that you love sucks. On the other hand, the first scratch/ding is the hardest and now you don't have the pressure of keeping it pristinte. Going even further, I learned to appreciate the character that some imperfections can add to an item, so now I'm almost relieved when I initially damage something (assuming the damage isn't' too bad. If it is, I just get pissed off haha)

Just now, Longbowsafari said:

image.thumb.png.fcb070b7a5a4d71b033a72301f3c680e.png

Can you see the ding? I'm nuts! All of my skis, guns and bows have dings that add character and/or bring back fond memories of having been USED! I don't no why this one bugged me but I was just stupid! I never saw it coming. Anyway, what do you think of my fix? Thank you all for your stories and thoughts! My first Benelli! I wish I had listened to my friend years ago! ? 

7 hours ago, BallChange said:

Part of why I got an M4 is that I know it can take a beating. Scratches dont bother me a bit, if the Marines can't beat it up enough to get something else I think I'll be just fine. There's plenty out there and it's value isn't in the rarity or cosmetic condition, at least to me.

Normally they don't bother me at all as everything I have has dings and scratches, including me! ? I'm generally not the fussy type at all.  It was I dunno, why didn't I lean the gun better and that screw should never have been there/didn't know it was there once in a million, arggh ding! kinda thing. LOL! It's camo, looks like it belongs there. Conclusion: I'm just nuts right now but I am glad some can feel my pain! LOL!

As far as if you need to do anything to it. These are still the base matte black underneath as far as I know (they were in the SBE lineup). If what I see is what you are talking about on the receiver, it doesn't look like it affected the metal or the finish on it. If that is what you see in person, then personally, I'd say you are safe to leave it without worrying about damaging the metal underneath. If you really are concerned with the look, I'd check out the gun camo options available at local gun store, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and the like.

I know on the SBE II, it was fairly common for the camo to start peeling from the edges after a while of hard use waterfowling. That doesn't make it easier for you, but that is one thing that has kept me from ever wanting to replace my old SBE. My guess is they have improved the process, but who really knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bambihunter said:

As far as if you need to do anything to it. These are still the base matte black underneath as far as I know (they were in the SBE lineup). If what I see is what you are talking about on the receiver, it doesn't look like it affected the metal or the finish on it. If that is what you see in person, then personally, I'd say you are safe to leave it without worrying about damaging the metal underneath. If you really are concerned with the look, I'd check out the gun camo options available at local gun store, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and the like.

I know on the SBE II, it was fairly common for the camo to start peeling from the edges after a while of hard use waterfowling. That doesn't make it easier for you, but that is one thing that has kept me from ever wanting to replace my old SBE. My guess is they have improved the process, but who really knows.

Thanks! Well, there was a sliver of bare metal that I used a bluing pen to cover. I think the black is wider than the sliver as I recollect. The mark is right at the black dot on the paper. wasn't a wide open gash just like a fine pen line but through the black finish and a dot where the screw point hit.  TI THOUGHT it looked like part of the camo like a stick or something, so it didn't bother me but I guess not! LOL! Not gouged out just a wee thin line of metal scratch/silver and a dot of "silver" where it did go through the finish at the point of the screw.  Will the bluing be enough to prevent rust? I guess I could get it re-dipped but there would likely be more scratches and dings since I hunt quite a lot and my other guns all have their scars at some point. Thank you for taking the time!

Since the gun will see regular use, I'd suggest taping off the area around the "gap" in the camo pattern (leaving only the gap exposed) and apply a quick shot of spray paint. I've seen camo colors w flat sheen at the hardware store. Or brush on some model paint from the hobby store. Blend some paints to match the straw color?? Better yet if you know someone who has an airbrush, I bet they would be glad to help you in trade for your appreciation of their craft and a beer or two.....

• Like 1

LOL, Yeah something about that first one drives ya nuts. Like I said, everything I have is scratched up and dinged and very soon if not the same day I bought it sometimes! But I love my guns, bike, truck and I am even fonder of them when I have those scars/memories! Makes no sense at all-LOL! Thank you everybody! Taking the SBE3 out for a goose hunt tomorrow! Now those are good memories!

5 hours ago, jimbo45 said:

First time out with my then new sbe 3 at the clays range it fell off the golf cart at full speed onto the sharp gravel road and got some nice deep gouges. Nothing to be done and it still works fine so it doesnt really matter.

Thanks man! Got her out to the pond today and we all shot a goose so it feels better now! ?

Haha I have a story of my own. After paying over $1K and waiting for about a year between manufacturing and bedding for a McMillan fiberglass woodland camo stock, for my M1A and then to see the woman in the gun shop drop it off the rack and to watch it hit and roll across the concrete floor right in front of me while I was there to finally pick it up lol. I’d rather have taken a hard kick to the nuts. Or even two. But I kept my composure and showed her mercy. Never fired and only dropped once, as they say, I joke with them every time I go back in there. Luckily it was just the stock that fell over and not the whole gun, and it only received a very tiny chip or two on the bottom side. The camo colors are impregnated into the fiberglass and that helped too. 

What are you gonna do? Could’ve been worse in my book, and I took the high road. Time heals and it’s all but forgotten. 

2E351AD0-4F9A-44C9-B26F-689D44EB20D4.jpeg

282894AD-F4B6-4108-8E47-B779C12AF7B7.jpeg

BA7EAD18-1AC2-4D8E-A3A9-3ECDD0779BC4.jpeg