Benelli M4 jamming.

Sackguy88

So I took the M4 out for the first time yesterday and put about 120 rounds through it. Needless to say it was jamming. Id load up 5-6 shells, shoot 2 jam, shoot 1 jam, shoot another 1 jam, shoot 4 Jam, it made it through its full cycle of rounds probably 3 times? anyways, I kind of searched online and I read a few guys posting about them having to put about 200 rounds through their M4 before it didn't jam anymore. Has anybody gone through this at all? little discouraging paying this much money for a high performance gun to keep jamming. I also run into the issue where I get the loading tube filled with 5 rounds and then I go to pull the bolt handle and it doesnt stay locked back and a round is then chambered. Sorry guys, new to the shotgun world.

What type of loads were you running? If it was low brass field loads I wouldn’t be surprised you had problems. While I personally did not have that issue while breaking in the gun, many folks on here did. 

I’d recommend taking the gun down for a good cleaning and lubrication then heading back to the range to run 50-75 high brass loads though it. Doing that should allow you to shoot any load other than the stubby shells. 

Edited by ClackClackBAM

Yeah, when I first got mine, I just put the included oil all over the bolt and it ran 2 3/4" slugs and buck just fine. I've yet to run target loads through mine, but if you haven't, try some non low-recoil buck/slugs.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding, with a full magazine, the bolt shouldn't stay locked back, AFAIK it only stays back after shell release button is pressed/trigger pressed on an empty mag.

6 hours ago, ClackClackBAM said:

What type of loads were you running? If it was low brass field loads I wouldn’t be surprised you had problems. While I personally did not have that issue while breaking in the gun, many folks on here did. 

I’d recommend taking the gun down for a good cleaning and lubrication then heading back to the range to run 50-75 high brass loads though it. Doing that should allow you to shoot any load other than the stubby shells. 

I agree with clean and lube, then running several boxes of heavy loads. I did just that and my M4 has broken in to be very reliable. I had initially tried running some low brass and had stoppages. Let us know how it turns out for you. 

Disassemble and clean the magazine tube. Do not put any lubricant inside the magazine or on the follower. All it does is collect grit, carbon build up and buffering media from inside shot shells. Clean the rest of the firearm well and lubricate well. I'd follow the USMC tech manual's recommendations for lubrication.

Try different heavy rounds to see if the failures continue to occur. If so, describe the failures in detail. Like short stroking or leaving empty shells in the chamber.