M4 stock alignment

BallChange

That's definitely off. The stock has some wiggle in it so it'll rock back and forth a couple of degrees, but not that much. I use the point of the cheek riser to center the stock with the rear sight aperture.

To fix it, you're going to have to remove the receiver extension and time it correctly. This isn't an easy job. Benelli may be willing to fix it for you, but you'll likely be looking at 6 weeks without the shotgun.

Maybe I shouldn't be dumping 3" rounds out of it lol, I might be putting a lot of pressure on it and once or twice the stock had twisted right after a full mag dump (it's possible I'm putting pressure on the button with my chin/cheek though).

If it's too tight and actually hasn't moved I think I'll be ok, I'll have to keep an eye on it over time.

Also, are the threads lefty loosey when aiming down the sights? I just don't want to be potentially loosening it under fire.

Edited by BallChange

You need to determine if the stock's adjustment button allowed the stock to twist on you when firing. I'd want to inspect the stock to see if any of the pins that lock the stock in place are damaged. This damage could also be on the button itself.

If the receiver extension is moving around under recoil, it's dangerous and should be addressed. It's just a matter of time before it twists during recoil and you get socked in the eye by the rear sight assembly. I'd highly recommend fixing it yourself, having Benelli address it or sending it to me. I would not let a general gunsmith try to fix it.

I'd remove the stock and pistol grip and get a good look at the jam nut that retains the receiver extension to the receiver. See if there are any signs of movement. If you're handy and not afraid of a MAPP torch and buying a few specialty tools that you likely don't have, I could walk you thru the repairs. I can give you my cell number to text or call if you want to go that route.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Appreciate the help SD. I think there's warranty work available here in Canada through Stoeger so I might be able to figure something out through them. 
I'm going trap shooting this weekend so I'm gonna mark down the alignment with tape and see if it moves at all. Afterwards I'll probably just send it out for peace of mind.

• 3 months later...

After receiving my collapsible stock today I discovered my replacement gun from Benelli is virtually identical to the photo posted by the OP.

The jig they use must have gotten slightly out of alignment and I have since compared it to new production guns on Gunbroker and found many to be the same way.

In my favor I'm left handed, so the canted buttpad actually fits my shoulder pocket better.

I may send it on out to StrangerDanger after the newness wears off, but for now I'm just gonna enjoy the heck out of it since shotgun shells are still readily available around here.

9 hours ago, Nocturnalnature said:

After receiving my collapsible stock today I discovered my replacement gun from Benelli is virtually identical to the photo posted by the OP.

The jig they use must have gotten slightly out of alignment and I have since compared it to new production guns on Gunbroker and found many to be the same way.

It could also be the tube itself is made incorrectly per this useful thread:

On 12/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, StrangerDanger said:

Inspection of the extension seemed to show that the notches were not machined properly. The notches appeared to be larger. I’d recommend testing the stock on the extensions before going thru the trouble of tearing the extension.  

Thanks  for the input guys!

The stock lockup is quite tight in all three positions, and is right on par with my other M4 (LE model) that wears a collapsible stock, which was purchased at the beginning of this year.

I could be completely wrong, but it seems to me that the increase in production to meet the demand has created a situation where quality control isn't as thorough as it had been in the past. That or I have had the misfortune of encountering issues with back to back guns.

Don't get me wrong, I love this gun and the canted stock doesn't particularly bother me since I know that a simple trip to SD will remedy the issue, I was just adding my input so that others will be made aware that this isn't an isolated incident.

tmRlrfw.jpg

Edited by Nocturnalnature

57 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

I’d agree with the quality control issues lately. I can definitely fix that up if you’re sure you don’t want to try a crack at it first. 

Thanks for the offer!

I imagine it'll likely make its way to you sometime this summer so you can work your magic.

Oddly, as mentioned in my first post, the gun actually fits me better and comes to point more naturally than my other M4 with the collapsible stock.

If I had to explain it I'd have to say it reminds me of my clays guns where the comb is cast off, as well as the toe, allowing my cheek to fall into place quicker and centers the heel of the stock directly in the sweet spot.

If I could get over my OCD, in all honesty I would probably keep it this way ?.

Edited to clarify,

In my previous post I mentioned I purchased my LE model at the beginning of the year. I Keep forgetting we are in a new year, so that should have been stated as the beginning of last year.

Edited by Nocturnalnature