What do I need to make my M4 stock fully collapsible?

WranglerTJForum

I recently purchase this Benelli M4 shotgun on GunBroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879124730

Much to my dismay, upon receiving it and putting it together, I found that the stock is barely even collapsible at all. 

I did some research and it looks like this is referred to as a "neutered" collapsible stock. My question is what do I need to make it fully collapsible? 

It sounds like I need a 3-position recoil spring tube, is that right? If so, does anyone know the part number for this, let alone where I can get one? 

I suspect like everything else they are out of stock for a while, but I would at least like to be able to pre-order one for when they do eventually come back in stock.

I'm just a little pissed I could spend this much money for a shotgun with some sort of faux collapsible stock ?

Yeah, I think the auction should have said that it wasn't a functional collapsible stock. However, that is exactly what Benelli states the 11701 model has: https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/m1014-shotguns

Yes. Basically you need a 3 position receiver extension. StrangerDanger has a great "how-to" for it if you are a capably DIY'er. As far as availability, they seem to still be available.

I don't mean to be THAT guy, but make sure the fuctional one is legal where you live. If you replace parts, remember to keep an eye on the 922r compliance list as well.

It does suck to get something other than you expect. Sorry man.

Edited by bambihunter

18 minutes ago, bambihunter said:

Yeah, I think the auction should have said that it wasn't a functional collapsible stock. However, that is exactly what Benelli states the 11701 model has: https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/m1014-shotguns

Yes. Basically you need a 3 position receiver extension. StrangerDanger has a great "how-to" for it if you are a capably DIY'er. As far as availability, they seem to still be available.

I don't mean to be THAT guy, but make sure the fuctional one is legal where you live. If you replace parts, remember to keep an eye on the 922r compliance list as well.

It does suck to get something other than you expect. Sorry man.

Yes, that's my fault for not reading more in-depth. However, when I see a collapsible stock, I assume it's going to collapse all the way. Not a huge deal, but it's kind of silly to make it look like a collapsible stock but not actually function as one.

Anyways, I'll check out the how-to. It looks like with some machine work it would be possible.

As for buying one, do you happen to know anyone who might have them in stock? I've found them at a few places but they all say out of stock.

I've been paying attention to the 922r compliance list and already ordered a few other parts, so I'll be good to go there.

14 minutes ago, bambihunter said:

There's a few guys on here that are that are much better with the details and where to find them. I'll leave that question to them. Here's @StrangerDanger's great write-up on how to do it. He can do it for you as well.

Thank you! I sent him a PM, maybe he can help me modify my stock recoil tube, that would be awesome.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:15 PM, bambihunter said:

There's a few guys on here that are that are much better with the details and where to find them. I'll leave that question to them. Here's @StrangerDanger's great write-up on how to do it. He can do it for you as well.

I recently bought that same model of M4. At first I thought I was going to get the standard fixed stock. When I saw it had the collapsable, I thought great that's a bonus! Then I discovered that it only has one position, fully extended, and it just baffles me why they would do that. Thanks for linking some information on this.

7 hours ago, Dug said:

I recently bought that same model of M4. At first I thought I was going to get the standard fixed stock. When I saw it had the collapsable, I thought great that's a bonus! Then I discovered that it only has one position, fully extended, and it just baffles me why they would do that. Thanks for linking some information on this.

Thank Bush Sr. and the 1989 Import Ban. The M1014 is Benelli's attempt to give lowly civilians the military M1014 while remaining in compliance with our bullcrap laws.

I guess that is one theory. It doesn't seem logical that ANY gun company would lobby for additional firearm laws. Most of these, once they go on the books, they don't come back off unfortunately.

Personally, I think it was due to the flood of Soviet Bloc weapons that entered the US around the time of the fall of the Berlin wall and ultimate collapse of the USSR. They were pouring into the US like crazy back then. You could buy an SKS for $75 and an AK for ~$175 IIRC. With the restriction of number of US parts required for the gun to have certain features, it stemmed the tide for a while.