Trying to purchase a Benelli M2...seems like the country has sold out of these?

Meb

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I am a new gun enthusiast, despite having grown up in a gun family...as did my wife.  I began target shooting with a pellet gun and a bow a couple of years ago and thought that I might try a shot gun - my wife's suggestion.  However, I cannot find anyone who has an M2 or M4 series in stock.  I live in New York if this matters.

I did find a place that carries a 14.5" M2, but I prefer an 18"...

I have been studying Benelli, Mossberg etc, but I am attracted to Benelli...and I still have a lot of family in Italy!

Apologie4s if this post is all over the place!

Michael

Edited by Meb
forgot whole words

The 14" M2 will take a lot of extra work to purchase. It would be what is referred to as a "short barreled shotgun" or SBS for short. Those require a NFA stamp, additional and more thorough background check, and a wait of 8+ months. This is the exact same process as would be needed for full-auto, short barreled rifle (SBR), cane guns, pen guns,  etc. This is not the kind of experience I'd suggest for your first firearm.

You are on a Benelli forum, so you know which brand of firearms we are going to suggest for your first one. I would suggest a couple of things.

First, research if there are any restrictions in NY. I know there is in NYC, but don't know for the entire state. Next, I'd see if a local gun store has either in stock. At least you can pick them up and handle them. Ideally you'd want to shoot them to make sure the recoil and overall feel is right for you. Many states have various shooter forums where people can find and meet others with the same interests. If the local gun store doesn't have one, you might be able to try them this way.

Esthetics aside, the M2 and the M4 use different systems internally to cycle them. The M2 uses Benelli's famous Inertia system and the M4 uses a more conventional gas system. The gas system (comparing apples to apples) will be the softer recoiling of the two, but they do take more time to clean. The inertia guns have a shorter recoil pulse and some equate that to more recoil. This is negligible at 2.75" and in my opinion, a minor difference at 3" shell. 

For some reason it won't let me edit my comment like usual...

M2's on Gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/search?Keywords=benelli m2&Sort=13&PageSize=24

M4's on Gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/search?Keywords=benelli m4&Sort=13&PageSize=24

Right now is certainly a "sellers market" and you'll pay a premium on top of the already premium price of these top of the line shotguns. It will stay high well past the elections. I'd think it will taper off some next spring as the follow-up panic buying eases. If you want something to shoot now, perhaps look at one of the "non-tactical" models as they are going cheaper than the rest. If you think you'll ever want to hunt with it, you might even consider a Super Black Eagle as it has a 3.5" chamber so it can shoot 2.75", 3", and 3.5" mags.

Thank you all for your advise!  bambihunter, I do prefer the M2 for its simplicity.  I am trying to make arrangements to shoot one with a friend...even thought I may have a lust for the M2, I may not like shooting it...in the words of my friend.

I did find a few websites that offer advance purchase when these are available, but the gun must be shipped to a registered re-seller.  This makes sense to me.

I did review a few used M2s, one from the links above - thank you bambihunter...but I worry that I do not have enough used gun knowledge...

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, remarkable said:

Michael,

All new M4 or M2 tactical Benelli orders will have a April of 2021 Delivery date.  This will give you a framework of reference as to the demand on these products.

Sounds about right, I ordered my M4 in  May and just got the call end of September it came in!   They told me the production is backed up and material is scarce do to dema!