SBE II or M2?

Frenchie

I am going to be buying a new shotgun in the next couple of weeks, and could use some advice. I am looking at the SBE II and love the way it feels, but am concerned about what I have read about it not cycling light loads consistently. I have read that the M2 handles the lighter loads better. I want this to be the last shotgun I purchase, so I want to purchase wisely. I will use the gun for shooting clays, turkey hunting, and possibly some duck hunting. I don't buy many guns, so when I do, I keep them forever. The Benelli's feel the best, but I don't want to be disappointed, especially if I get a bunch of jams at the trap range. Any recommendations from owners would be appreciated. :confused:

Both use the same Inertia system.

The SBEII is easier to clean because of the integrated barrel and top half of the receiver.

The SBEII also handles 3-1/2" shells while the M2's max. is 3".

All of the above being said, if trap is your primary use, and light loads are your preference, a gas gun may be a better choice.

The dogs are made to hunt! :D

Originally posted by tucker301:

Both use the same Inertia system.

The SBEII is easier to clean because of the integrated barrel and top half of the receiver.

The SBEII also handles 3-1/2" shells while the M2's max. is 3".

All of the above being said, if trap is your primary use, and light loads are your preference, a gas gun may be a better choice.

The dogs are made to hunt! :D

I'm not sure how to deal with anyone who doesn't like those fine weapons.

Have you looked at the Franchi 712 and Winchester X2?

Can you pinpoint what it is about the Benellis that you like over the others?

With me, it's the shorter forearms and the lighter weight overall.

I'm not saying the Benellis are wrong for you, but we get a lot of gripes here about them not cycling lighter loads.

If you're going to be shooting lighter loads a lot, you can get a -25% spring for the Benellis that will help.

Originally posted by tucker301:

I'm not sure how to deal with anyone who doesn't like those fine weapons.

Have you looked at the Franchi 712 and Winchester X2?

Can you pinpoint what it is about the Benellis that you like over the others?

With me, it's the shorter forearms and the lighter weight overall.

I'm not saying the Benellis are wrong for you, but we get a lot of gripes here about them not cycling lighter loads.

If you're going to be shooting lighter loads a lot, you can get a -25% spring for the Benellis that will help.

I have not looked at the Franchi 712 or the Winchester X2. I will....thanks for the advice.

I also like the short forearm and the way the gun throws to my shoulder better than the Browning or Beretta. The gun feels less "clunky" than most of the gas operated models I've looked at. I guess my original message was to find out if the M2 handles the lighter loads better than the SBE II. I plan to turkey hunt with the gun and have to believe that the 3.5" shells will buy me several more yards than the 3". I am still shopping around, but have gotten rave reviews from a couple of friends that shoot Benellis. One guy has the M2, but says that if he had it to do over again, he would get the SBE II for the 3.5" capability. I am in no rush, so I'm trying to get as much information before I spend my hard earned cash. I don't want to rush into anything.....

[ 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Frenchie ]