Recommendation for red dot site for Benelli M4 H20

MJSTEIN0753

Congrats on the M4! Is it your first one?

For a red dot I'm a huge fan of the RMR, but there are many others that are good. For a light though I would recommend a Surefire M600DF. Handles the recoil like a champ. There are a few mounting solutions for that but I chose to go with the IWC mount.

Have you given thought to upgrading your stock and mag tube?

Modlite has some lights that are supposed to be superior to the Surefire DF models in terms of output at a similar price point. I haven’t bought any to confirm yet. 

The Modlite bodies are better made than the Surefire ones as well. They’re a bit lighter too. I have tested the bodies and they are definitely better. 

19 hours ago, ClackClackBAM said:

Congrats on the M4! Is it your first one?

For a red dot I'm a huge fan of the RMR, but there are many others that are good. For a light though I would recommend a Surefire M600DF. Handles the recoil like a champ. There are a few mounting solutions for that but I chose to go with the IWC mount.

Have you given thought to upgrading your stock and mag tube?

Mine is the LE version with the adjustable stock and the LE tube already installed

4 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Modlite has some lights that are supposed to be superior to the Surefire DF models in terms of output at a similar price point. I haven’t bought any to confirm yet. 

The Modlite bodies are better made than the Surefire ones as well. They’re a bit lighter too. I have tested the bodies and they are definitely better. 

Hey SD, how are the Modlight bodies better made? I'm curious, they look interesting. I don't have any complaints about the Scout lights I have.

15 hours ago, Evolution said:

Hey SD, how are the Modlight bodies better made? I'm curious, they look interesting. I don't have any complaints about the Scout lights I have.

They’re about 20% lighter for one. The geometry around the mounting foot has less sharp angles. On the Modlite the angles taper nicely to the mounting foot. Here are a couple pictures for you to look over.

mZEIWBR.jpg

Modlite 18650 body with a Surefire M600DF lamp. Unmodified Surefire tailcap.

jUbEIcN.jpg

Modlite on top. Surefire on the bottom. 

3DhCzzq.jpg
Top to bottom;

Surefire M600C/Surefire/Surefire Tailcap - 500 Lumens on 123A batteries

Surefire M600IB/IWC Backbone body/Surefire Tailcap - 100-600 Lumens on 123A batteries 

Surefire M600DF/Modlite 18650 Body/Surefire Tailcap - 1,500 Lumens on 18650 rechargeable batteries

Surefire 18650 body

18650 Rechargeable battery

You’ll want the IWC Benelli M4 mount. You don’t need the one with the picatinny rail. I’ve never found a reason to use shorter one cell lights unless you’re building something that needs to be shortened to prevent the light from sticking past the muzzle. Even a 14” entry barrel would work fine with the two cell model. 

9 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

You’ll want the IWC Benelli M4 mount. You don’t need the one with the picatinny rail. I’ve never found a reason to use shorter one cell lights unless you’re building something that needs to be shortened to prevent the light from sticking past the muzzle. Even a 14” entry barrel would work fine with the two cell model. 

Thanks for the rapid response.  I like the remote switch I have on my AR. Is the Surefire UE-SR07 remote switch mountable on the M4 or is the Z68 Clicky switch recommended ? 

Most of the picatinny railed options for the Benelli M4 aren’t very good. An option would be to use the Briley handguard and attach a MLOK tape switch to the handguard. Or you could grind a small pocket into the plastic handguards and secure it with Velcro or even zip ties. 

Generally I avoid tape switches due to their propensity for failing. I usually use the Surefire Scout tailcap and I machine the shroud off of them so it isn’t jamming my thumb under 12 gauge recoil. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 3:27 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I'd heavily consider the Cloud defensive REIN. The battery Jack is a godsend for a high recoil platform. The tailcap also wont require any fiddling with. Downside is the head diameter equals streamlight hlx. I'll mock one up in a few hours. 

Edited by Unobtanium

When Steven Boehm built my M4 in 16' we went with:

Trijicon RMR (I prefer the R01 that is Nickel Boron coated for an H20+ build)
Ava Tactical Weapon Light Mount
    - Surefire 500 Lumen Scout Light Head
    - Surefire Outdoorsman body/tailcap

Assume the Surefire models have changed by now.

So far so good.

13 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I'd heavily consider the Cloud defensive REIN. The battery Jack is a godsend for a high recoil platform. The tailcap also wont require any fiddling with. Downside is the head diameter equals streamlight hlx. I'll mock one up in a few hours. 

I’d like to see the mounting solution. The REIN does look good. 

1 hour ago, daytwadog said:

When Steven Boehm built my M4 in 16' we went with:

Trijicon RMR (I prefer the R01 that is Nickel Boron coated for an H20+ build)
Ava Tactical Weapon Light Mount
    - Surefire 500 Lumen Scout Light Head
    - Surefire Outdoorsman body/tailcap

Assume the Surefire models have changed by now.

So far so good.

Those plated RMR’s are hard to come by these days. Not sure if they ever made any Type II models. Even getting Cerakoted ones lately is difficult. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Chonk of the REIN Micro is well worth it. Battery cannot compress/batter a spring due to the batteryjack, and the 1300 lumens and 50K+ lux is staggeringly superior to the 500 lumen M300C pictured on the left. The weight of the REIN Micro per my scale, with battery, is only 5.9oz. The improvement in ergonomics (tail cap), and massive jump in output as well as the battery retention (especially for a 12ga) far trumps the @2oz weight savings of other options.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 4:27 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I can confirm, ModLight is brighter and has a better beam throw, I have two. Both are PLHV2-18350 models. 
They are more expensive though, come with two rechargeable batteries and charger. I do have them on rifles at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 6:59 AM, challer said:

Consider the Owl light. As for the RDS, prefer mine that permits battery change without removing the light. 

I LOOKED INTO THE OWL LIGHT FOR MY H20 BUT I REMOVED THE RAIL TO INSTALL A RMR.  I HAVE AN IWC MULTI LIGHT MOUNT AND AM LOOKING FOR THE NEST SOLUTION. I AM CONSIDERING THE REIN FROM CLOUD DEFENSE.  ANY THOUGHTS?

On 1/26/2021 at 5:59 AM, Unobtanium said:

The Chonk of the REIN Micro is well worth it. Battery cannot compress/batter a spring due to the batteryjack, and the 1300 lumens and 50K+ lux is staggeringly superior to the 500 lumen M300C pictured on the left. The weight of the REIN Micro per my scale, with battery, is only 5.9oz. The improvement in ergonomics (tail cap), and massive jump in output as well as the battery retention (especially for a 12ga) far trumps the @2oz weight savings of other options.

I LIKE THE OWL LIGHT BUT THERE IS NO PRACTICAL WAY TO MOUNT IT ON THE M4.  I AM CONSIDERING THE REIN IF IT WILL MOUNT ON THE IWC MOUNT.  ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS CONFIGURATION?

On 1/26/2021 at 5:59 AM, Unobtanium said:

I have ordered a Cloud Defense REIN (Backordered). I own the I own the IWC Benelli M4 Mount-1913.  I ordered the complete kit with the REIN including the remote switch.  I also ordered a second tail switch so I would have multiple options.  Have you successfully mounted the REIN yet?  If so any helpful suggestions for me? I went for the full size instead of the mini REIN.  I appreciate your time.