Ghost Loading Malfunction?

les_garten

Hey Les. where ya been man?? Iv'e never had a malfunction from having one left on the elevator and then racking the bolt to chamber however, if I push the shell on it and the bolt is too far to the rear, when I close the bolt, it activates the elevator and chambers the round. I found that there is a sweet spot when dropping one on the elevator so the bolt won't activate it and chamber it.

What kinda malfunction are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Hey Les. where ya been man?? Iv'e never had a malfunction from having one left on the elevator and then racking the bolt to chamber however, if I push the shell on it and the bolt is too far to the rear, when I close the bolt, it activates the elevator and chambers the round. I found that there is a sweet spot when dropping one on the elevator so the bolt won't activate it and chamber it.

I'm still looking for that spot. Can you share?

Edited by ClackClackBAM

57 minutes ago, Evolution said:

What kinda malfunction are you talking about?

I'm kinda in and out...

Haven't had one(malfunction that is).  Noticed that sweet spot as well.  Was thinking about my M4 as an Anti Grizzly Bear gun and was wondering about reliability if I Ghost loaded?

2 hours ago, ClackClackBAM said:

I'm still looking for that spot. Can you share?

Well...... in my case, I pull the bolt back far enough so that only about a quarter inch of it is still visible at the ejection port window, that's just shy of it actuating the elevator..... then I drop a shell down with the rear of it as far back as it can go and press it down till I feel/hear a snap. Then holding my thumb on top of the shell. I release the bolt forward. Others probably have a different way to do it but that's how I do it. 

• Upvote 1

I ghost load all of the time in 3-gun competition. It is still a complex operation.  I pull the bolt all the way back, drop one shell in the chamber (muzzle pointed down), then bring the bolt back to half closed and feed the ghost round under the bolt then down on the lifter. Drop the bolt and go.

• Upvote 1

The longer the chamber, the easier it is to ghost load. I can do my SBE very quickly and hit it right every time. However, the M1 and Montefeltro's are slower and a little finicky.

No, not a single malfunction; Ever! Remember that this wasn't designed to carry an extra shell. Instead, it was a way for the gun to clear itself without jamming if the shell release let two go by. It is designed to hold back from the magazine tube until the carrier is clear.

That said, I have only done ghost loads on my HK imported Benelli's but it works on all of those (Montefeltro, M1T, M3T, SBE)