Taran Tactical Innovations

Grant

Dear Benelli community,

Do you still think the M2 jams on low load shells?  Do you need to buy the Taran Tactical Innovations reduced buffer spring to shoot the lower loads?   I have just purchased a new 3gun M2 and would like to know what people have experienced.  Thank you in advance for the feedback.  

TTI Benelli Ultimate Reduced-Power Buffer Spring

On 10/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Grant said:

Dear Benelli community,

Do you still think the M2 jams on low load shells?  Do you need to buy the Taran Tactical Innovations reduced buffer spring to shoot the lower loads?   I have just purchased a new 3gun M2 and would like to know what people have experienced.  Thank you in advance for the feedback.  

TTI Benelli Ultimate Reduced-Power Buffer Spring

Suggest that you actually try it out with a number of different loads.  Semi-auto shotguns are notoriously inconsistent in how they operate with different loads.  I've had M2's that operate perfectly regardless of the load and M2's that were finicky.  It's the same with patterning.  Shoot your gun with a variety of loads including "low load" shells.  If it works, carry on.  If not, either change loads or fiddle with pieces-parts.  No sense in spending money up front for additional pieces-parts if it will work without having to do that. 

• 1 year later...

The operation of a semi auto is also affected by the body mechanics of the shooter and their ability to mitigate recoil

The same person could shoot the same round at 2 different times and get different results based on the way they feel at the time they shoot

It is one of the most overlooked aspects of firearm malfunction trouble shooting

• Upvote 1

Be really careful with any spring kits you install. You have to test the firearm thoroughly any time you change spring rates. 

I tested some of TTI’s reduced power springs in the Benelli M4 such as the hammer spring and found it caused nothing but light primer strikes failures. 

What might work initially may also fail as the firearm starts getting dirty. Reduced power springs generally narrow the operational window compared to the full power spring rates. On shotguns, the range of power between loads is substantial. From shooting cheap valuepack birdshot to heavy hitting 3” slugs, we’re seeing a massive amount of difference in power that the action is handling. 

Add grit and buffering media from shells into the action and things start performing poorly a few hundred rounds into a session. 

How the shotgun is held and your stance will absolutely influence the actions performance. I fire rounds with my shoulder off the stock intentionally limp wristing it to simulate poor shouldering to see how a load or modifications perform. So if you have an action that is tuned in to just barely perform when you have a stout perfect shouldering, you might experience issues when taking a shot from a compromised position. Or two hundred rounds in. Or after several days outdoors with dust exposure. Temperature variability could make whatever lubricant you’re using perform sluggishly in the cold and move you outside of that performance window. 

When we set up AR platform rifles with adjustable gas systems, we find what is the minimum setting for cycling the action, then adding a degree of safety by opening the port more to contend with these variables and environmental issues. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:50 AM, StrangerDanger said:

Be really careful with any spring kits you install. You have to test the firearm thoroughly any time you change spring rates. 

I tested some of TTI’s reduced power springs in the Benelli M4 such as the hammer spring and found it caused nothing but light primer strikes failures. 

The M4 has it's own bespoke hammer spring. The M1, M3, M2, and relatives share the same spring. This is because the M4 bolt carrier sits further forward when locked. The other Inertia shotguns can take springs in both directions of power but the M4 can only take stiffer springs.

• Upvote 2