Vortex Venom 3 MOA

JT111

• JT111 changed the title to Vortex Venom 3 MOA

Venom is a great optic. I run them on all of my 3-gun (Open) gear (9mm pistol, Benelli M4, and BCM AR). After a few years of abuse, the one on my pistol stopped working, turned out to be the battery contact plate had come loose.  Sent it back to Vortex (No BS Warranty) and they sent me a new one.

Thanks for the reply. That is great to hear since I just bought one! I haven't used it yet, but I like the lower profile compared to the Holosun 510 I had mounted. I'm also considering getting an adapter/mount and trying it out on my Sig 320-M18. I've never used a red dot on a pistol. 

A red dot on a pistol is more accurate than iron sights.  The typical complaint people have with them is "finding the dot".  This is simply a case of not doing enough dry fire practice. If you practice enough, you should be able to bring the gun up from the holster with your eyes closed and open them to see your dot in the window. When I first started to practice, I found that the dot was too low.  I trained myself to bring the nose of the gun up by pulling up on my strong hand wrist.  With practice, this is now my natural draw.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NoTycoon said:

A red dot on a pistol is more accurate than iron sights.  The typical complaint people have with them is "finding the dot".  This is simply a case of not doing enough dry fire practice. If you practice enough, you should be able to bring the gun up from the holster with your eyes closed and open them to see your dot in the window. When I first started to practice, I found that the dot was too low.  I trained myself to bring the nose of the gun up by pulling up on my strong hand wrist.  With practice, this is now my natural draw.  Good luck.

I'm going to try this. I have to admit at my age, with my farsightedness, the sights are very blurry. I appreciate the practice advice. Now I have to get an adaptor plate. Good thing. I was running out of things to spend money on.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:24 PM, JT111 said:

I'm going to try this. I have to admit at my age, with my farsightedness, the sights are very blurry. I appreciate the practice advice. Now I have to get an adaptor plate. Good thing. I was running out of things to spend money on.

I feel your pain. As part of my cataract surgery, I chose to have my right (shooting) eye set for close up and my left eye for distance. So, for pistol only competitions (IDPA, USPSA, etc.), I shoot iron sights.  However, when I shoot multi-gun, I need to see distance and so, I put in a 1x contact lens in my right eye and shoot all guns with optics. ?

1 hour ago, NoTycoon said:

I feel your pain. As part of my cataract surgery, I chose to have my right (shooting) eye set for close up and my left eye for distance. So, for pistol only competitions (IDPA, USPSA, etc.), I shoot iron sights.  However, when I shoot multi-gun, I need to see distance and so, I put in a 1x contact lens in my right eye and shoot all guns with optics. ?

I think I’m due for a trip to the optometrist. I think I’ll end up with some sort of bifocals.