First time out with the new M4, H20

BigJoe365

OMG what an ammo eater. This thing spit shells fast. I ran a few different ammo types through it fairly fast.  5 different targets, fast trigger pulls 5 for 5.

I was singing.

You're as smooth as Tennessee whiskey
You're as sweet as strawberry wine...

Bottom line, worth every penny. I paid GB pricing buy it now, still worth it.

• Upvote 4

On 10/23/2020 at 4:02 PM, ClackClackBAM said:

Hell yeah Joe, that's awesome! 
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find this to be a good home!

Thank you, I'm finding a ton of info here. I'm also spending a small fortune on this shotgun with all the recommended upgrades. Briley, TTI, Carrier comp, Trijicon, A&S ect...  I did receive my Vickers padded sling yesterday. 

I've learned a lot about proper cleaning, function, shot shells ect. Grateful for all the info.

Just joined and just purchased the H2O, my first firearm - ever.  Missed the boat on better pricing available on gun broker...fool me once.  That said, ammo eater indeed.  Went to an outdoor range and blew through 50 shells in an hour messing around with the ghost-load 7 at a time.  I love it.  Now I need to buy the collapsible stock, 7-round tube, and all the other accoutrements.  I shot low recoil slugs only, not one issue - they load and fire like clockwork. 

Questions: 

1. I see trigger locks that require the charger to be pulled back, is this bad for the spring?  It doesn't seem appropriate to store this locked back for extended periods of time.  Maybe that is my lack of understanding.  
  2. Do I need to change the factory choke tube for slugs ongoing? 
  3. Is there a specific advantage to adding the Muzzle Break? 

Looking forward to following along here and learning more.  

IMG_8679.jpeg

IMG_8676.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, M4H2O said:

Just joined and just purchased the H2O, my first firearm - ever.  Missed the boat on better pricing available on gun broker...fool me once.  That said, ammo eater indeed.  Went to an outdoor range and blew through 50 shells in an hour messing around with the ghost-load 7 at a time.  I love it.  Now I need to buy the collapsible stock, 7-round tube, and all the other accoutrements.  I shot low recoil slugs only, not one issue - they load and fire like clockwork. 

Questions: 

1. I see trigger locks that require the charger to be pulled back, is this bad for the spring?  It doesn't seem appropriate to store this locked back for extended periods of time.  Maybe that is my lack of understanding.  
  2. Do I need to change the factory choke tube for slugs ongoing? 
  3. Is there a specific advantage to adding the Muzzle Break? 

Looking forward to following along here and learning more. 

1. Personally, I'd consider that type of device something that would be used to and from the range/hunting area. At home, I'd suggest a safe first and foremost. If that is not available or an option, then I'd get the trigger lock type. I use a "snap cap" and dry fire the gun into it so that neither the recoil spring nor the trigger spring is under tension.

2. Is there a reason you are going to shoot slugs only? Range rules? Make sure you match the slug type to choke. Sabot slugs are meant to be shot from a rifled slug barrel. A rifled slug is designed to be shot through smoothbore barrels to potentially impart some spin into the projectile for stabilization (though that is a contested idea). So, I'd guess you are running the latter since you mention chokes though rifled choke tubes do exist. For the short period of time that I shot slugs through a smooth barrel, I just used Cylinder bore choke, or at the most, and Improved Cylinder choke.

3. The advantage to a muzzle brake on ANY gun is for recoil reduction. Some are more needed and/or more effective than others. A .22lr, the difference is imperceptible. However, on a .50BMG, you'll never want to shoot it any other way. The M4 will be in between. But, it isn't all positives. Anytime porting or a muzzle brake is added, the noise level towards the shooter goes up. Depending on the environment you are shooting in, it can really increase it a lot. I don't mind shooting ported guns at the range where everyone will be wearing hearing protection. But, I never, ever, buy one to use while hunting as I generally don't use ear protection then.

Edited by bambihunter