No Recoil spring

Svaurez

I own a new Benelli m3 and have a question that I hope one of you might be able to answer.I was disassembling the gun for cleaning and noticed that there was no recoil spring located in the stock.I looked in my manual and there is no recoil spring shown in the diagrams.All that is shown is the recoil spring tube.IS THE SPRING MISSING?Or does the M3 function without it?

Thank you Tucker.If the gun is not inertia operated then what is the function of the inertia spring.Is it just used to dampen the recoil to prevent damage to the gun.And if the recoil spring is located on the magazine tube would this spring be easy to replace with a weaker spring so I could shoot low power loads in auto mode.Thank you again.

That spring you show is called an inertia spring in the manual.I checked out the parts diagram for an M1 super 90 on the Italian website and it has both the inertia spring AND an entire recoil spring assembly in the stock.It would seem that the M1 and the M3 would both share the same design when in auto mode.Is the spring that attaches to the magazine used only for pump mode or does it help with the auto mode too?

Hmmm... there seems to be some confusion here. As I understand it, the M3 is an inertia driven semi-auto, that can also be switched to a pump mode. The M4 is a gas operated shotgun.

Part 36A is the inertia spring, but Benelli also refers to this spring (at least one place in the manual) as the "bolt recoil spring". Hence the confusion.

I think the spring that Svaurez is referring to, is the true "recoil spring", which is sometimes called the action spring. The recoil spring (action spring) on the M3 is located under the forearm.

I believe the primary reason for having the pump action as an option, is to allow the M3 to function with light loads, that would not typically cycle the inertia driven semi-auto action. I'm not sure if anyone makes a lighter action spring for the M3.

The spring underneath the forearm is referred to as "spring" in the manual.(Part 100F).I wonder if this is the recoil spring.Does this spring replace the one that should be located in the stock?And if it does, it seems like it would be easier to make the M3 cycle lighter loads.

Originally posted by Svaurez:

The spring underneath the forearm is referred to as "spring" in the manual.(Part 100F).I wonder if this is the recoil spring.Does this spring replace the one that should be located in the stock?......

Yes, that is the recoil spring. It is located under the forearm, because some M3 models have a pistol grip, and a folding stock (which obviously can't house a recoil spring).

Just an observation, I love the M3. Your gun, the M3, is pump and semi auto, and the semi auto wont work with light loads (which most Benellis dont), wouldnt you just use it in the pump mode for the lighter loads? Actually this was the intention when the gun was designed because of some of the european frangible or non lethal loads the police must use in certain situations. I think a lighter or modified spring would damage the bolt carrier in these instances. Just me, think Id find something else a little more user friendly for skeet shooting.

Anyone know what kind of shells Tom Knapp uses when he sets all those records?I doubt he uses the 3 Dram,1 1/8 minimum that Benelli recommends. He must have to use some light loads to shoot ten clays at a time.I'm determined to solve the recoil puzzle for the M3 so I can have an all-in-one shotgun.

• 2 years later...

HI ,

i have an M3 chrome same as yours with a spring over the magazine and whithout a spring inside the rear stock ; but i have a friend that has an M3 with a rear spring inside the stock and whithout a front spring and his gun is much smoother to operate and makes no noise of spring .

i did not shoot both together to evaluate yet but i think his gun would give less recoil ?

if i could i would change my bolt and install a spring in my stock and get rid of this front spring .

TAREK