Mesa Urbino Stock Loosening

Agent86

I love this stock as the standard one is just too long for me.  The Urbino stock fits just right.  Hope I don't sound too much like Goldilocks, but I digress.   The Urbino stock shoots loose about every two range sessions and I have to retighten with a flat head screwdriver.  I read on this forum it is a disaster to loctite the threads, so I started looking for another solution.  It seems the spring lock washer isn't a very good method of preventing rotation.  This video shows why.  I am thinking of ordering some of these Nord Lock washers.  Can anyone think of any downsides?  You can get a pack of 20 of these for about $15 on Amazon.  Just need to measure the bolt size when I get a chance.   

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 11:46 PM, NoTycoon said:

I had the same issue with the Urbino stock on my M4. Then I found a External Star Washer Serrated Zinc in my tool box and mounted it on my Urbino stock retaining screw.  It has not loosened since.

M10 Serrated Star Washer External DIN 6798.jpg

What is the size of the lock washer you used? Any experience with the NORD brand of stainless steel lock washer? Thanks.

11 hours ago, Don Randall said:

What is the size of the lock washer you used? Any experience with the NORD brand of stainless steel lock washer? Thanks.

I don't know the size (and I am not going to remove that stock now that it finally holds tight).  It looks to be about half an inch in diameter and fits the diameter of the screw.  Just take your screw into a hardware store and find one that 1) has an opening large enough for the shaft of the screw, and 2) has teeth that will touch the face of the screw head.

having used blue loctite 242 on installing urbino stock on M4 (after it loosened on first shooting without) before sufficient googling beforehand, i would like to ask if anyone thinks there is an issue if i never remove it? it works well with my m4 configuration and i prefer to think of it as permanently attached. it is good to note the approach others have taken in this regards.

awaiting a mag tube extension then i think it will be complete (though a red dot may be added down the road for reasons that i have yet to justify to myself other than they seem cool). 

_TNE6829_DxO.jpg

On 11/24/2020 at 4:46 AM, Don Randall said:

I purchased an internal tooth washer from Lowes.  It was the 5/16" size and the brand was Hillman.  I don't know if it works yet as I haven't had a chance to shoot it.  I also purchased one of the Nord washers in case the tooth washer doesn't work.  This was less than $1 from boltdepot.com.  The shipping was more than the washer.  LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, a quick update.  The internal star washer from Lowes didn't work. Stock loosened again after a single range trip.  Put the Nord washer on and it is solid.  No loosening after a good range trip.  I will look to Nord washers in the future if I need to secure a bolt against vibration.  And by the way, I didn't use the stainless steel version of the Nord-lock washer - I just used the cheaper option.

Edited by Agent86

Using Loctite on the Mesa Tactical screw has caused grief in the past. Several threads have been made where they went to remove the stock retaining screw and since they had used loctite, the Benelli's Stock Retaining Screw that screws into the receiver extension unscrewed from the extension. Sure, the stock came off, but the OEM Stock Retaining Screw is now seized to the end of the screw inside of the stock with no ability to grab and hold it. Several users had to cut the stock open in order to recover the parts. Then they still had the task of trying to hold the Stock Retaining Screw while breaking the Loctite.

If I absolutely had to use the Urbino, I would probably use a lighter Loctite like the purple type on the Mesa Tactical screw. Make sure everything is degreased with acetone and a wire brush to maximize adhesion. Loctite makes a primer that is acetone based as well if that's easier for you. I would then use the blue Loctite 242 on the OEM Stock Retaining Screw's external threads, and screw it into the receiver extension as tight as it will seat. This would help bind this receiving screw into the extension and hopefully prevent it from backing out when unscrewing the Mesa Tactical screw.

My only concern about doing this how hard it would be to get the receiver extension apart down the road. You'd almost certainly need heat to break the thread locker. Given that the notches in the Stock Retaining Screw don't give you much purchase with a tool, it could be difficult to break the thread locker without damaging those notches.

Unfortunately this was a really bad design. They went this route as a cost savings measure instead of developing a tool free system like the OEM stocks use.

• 3 months later...

If Nord Lock washers works Great, why even think about to use at all Purple Loctite on the Mesa Tactical screw. This method(Nord Lock washers) will not allowed to unscrew Stock retaining Screw #70044 from receiver extension with default Loctite on external treads. 

I am also just received Mesa Tactical stock, installed with out Loctite on Mesa Tactical screw.

1198129194_70044StockScrew.jpg.00dcc134fc51066fcd79b8578f3c2b47.jpg

On 11/22/2020 at 8:37 PM, Agent86 said:

I love this stock as the standard one is just too long for me.  The Urbino stock fits just right.  Hope I don't sound too much like Goldilocks, but I digress.   The Urbino stock shoots loose about every two range sessions and I have to retighten with a flat head screwdriver.  I read on this forum it is a disaster to loctite the threads, so I started looking for another solution.  It seems the spring lock washer isn't a very good method of preventing rotation.  This video shows why.  I am thinking of ordering some of these Nord Lock washers.  Can anyone think of any downsides?  You can get a pack of 20 of these for about $15 on Amazon.  Just need to measure the bolt size when I get a chance.   

Thanks Agent86, If you have extra Nord Lock Washer can you please measured Internal and External diameter of Nord Lock Washers that will be working on Mesa Tactical screw., or maybe a link. Thanks a lot. I think this is a Great idea.

127056181_NordWasherLock3.JPG.1bcfb056bc6dacced91362d4c9b5b1e8.JPG

On 4/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, RJHUB said:

Anybody find out what size Nord washer is needed?  

This exactly what you need

• Product Dimensions : 0.83 x 0.1 x 0.42 inches; 0.16 Ounces. Outside D-0.83"xTicknes T-0.1" Inside D-0.42"
  • Amazon reference: Wedge Locking Washer Carbon STL Zinc Flake Coated Thru Hardened M10 Large O.D. 10 glued PRS/Pack
  • Rockwell Hardness: M in 46 HRC
  • Fits Bolt Sizes: M10, or 3/8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPF8K4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

Found the washers at local Fastenal.  Only had 3/8.  Got home and they are .65 od. 

So I called and they are ordering me the 3/8sp which are the .83 like ones you suggested.

They will be here Monday.  Don't have to pay thay ridiculous shipping if pick up at store.

Still waiting on Stock.  I did put on a field stock I have and like it.  But will switch to Mesa when it shows.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I received a couple of messages on where I got the Nord lock washers from.  You would be looking for a 5/16" Nord-lock washer.  They come in steel or stainless steel.  I just got the steel version. Here's where I got them.  

https://www.boltdepot.com/Nord-Lock_washers_Delta_protekt_plated_steel.aspx

I've been using the same lock washer for quite some time now and it holds solid.  When I recently unscrewed my stock the nord washer separated into two washers (they are two washers stacked on top of each other).  I just put them together and screwed the stock back in.  No issue.  It still holds firm.  You may want to purchase several.  They are only $1.10 each.  

IMG_2324.jpg.c3868266352caaf56c1564098bc6fe58.jpg

• Like 2

One other thing - I contacted Mesa Tactical and let them know about the stock loosening issue and the solution - Nord Lock washers!  Hopefully, they will take note and include these in their products going forward, so we don't need to come up with solutions!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not to dig up an old thread, but the washers that came with my urbino I just bought look like the nord washers pictured above. The cams are shallow. Unsure if they’re quality washers? Are these the same washers that came with the stock mentioned in the OP? Wondering if I should get ahead of the potential issue and order them or if what came whey the urbino is what the solution was in this thread?

On 5/15/2021 at 8:57 PM, Agent86 said:

One other thing - I contacted Mesa Tactical and let them know about the stock loosening issue and the solution - Nord Lock washers!  Hopefully, they will take note and include these in their products going forward, so we don't need to come up with solutions!