I don't get it- a barrel, that is...

Waldo1

Can someone explain what happened here with regards to this dealer? I went to Bass Pro Shop today to pick up a Limbsaver for my M1S90. I was ogling the shotguns and saw about 8 new Benellis. I asked if they had any M1 or M2 barrels in stock and the immediate answer was "No". I asked if they could order one for me and the answer was "No". I asked if they were an authorized Benelli dealer and the answer was "Of course!". I asked why they could not order me a barrel and the answer was "Because Benelli won't let us". I asked if they knew how I could buy a new barrel and they said to try Benelli's website... So, I can't buy direct from Benelli because I have to go through a Dealer, and I can't buy from a Dealer because Benelli won't let them order? Interesting marketing plan, but it probably doesn't net Benelli a whole lot of sales.

Waldo1

I have to agree with you. I have never seen a company like Benelli that makes it so hard to buy there products. It just does not make any sense. Could you imagine what there profit would be if they would just actually let people buy what they make.

[ 01-06-2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: BLACK JACK ]

I have never been able to easily find barrels for any of my Berettas, Brownings, or Benellis.

The simple fact is the barrel sales are a slight fraction of overall gun sales.

At the same time, every time I have really wanted an extra barrel for any gun, I have been able to locate one. Before the internet, I used Shotgun News, plenty of barrels there, still are.

I think what folks really want is cheap barrels.

mudhen - CA

I think what folks really want is cheap barrels.
Certainly- at least I do. If I can purchase a barrel for $300, then why would I want to pay $400? And what do we call someone who wants to pay more than market price? We call that person a fool. So yes, I'd rather pay less for a Benelli barrel than more. My gripe is availability. When you go into a Dealer's shop and offer to pre-pay for them to order you a component and they say "No, I can't", then you have to wonder about both the Dealer as well as the Manufacturer. Looks more like Benelli's line of reasoning is that if their barrels were readily available, then their prices would have to drop a little.

Maybe it's some kind of marketing plan... "Don't make the burrels availible so our richer cusomer will buy new guns with a barrel the need." I have a same problem with getting a steadygrip stock for my SBEII. I live in NY where they are legal to have. But I hunting and fly in and out og airports in NJ where they are not. So I have to be able to change stocks accordingly. As of now I'm going to have to buy two guns to get what I want.

Yeah, it looks like they are intentionally keeping supply tight to drive up/maintain higher prices. As with most manufacturing operations, I can only imagine that their cost per barrel would decrease if they manufactured more units. It seems like a short-sighted marketing plan. Longer-term, when potential consumers become aware that components and accessories are unavailable they will opt to purchase a competiitor's product. I have a hard time understanding how a company can increase their market share by NOT supplying product.

As mudhen stated, barrels are available, if someone would give some effort to finding one.

So Bass Pro offered up a lame answer. What do you expect from a mass-market retailer?

Their employees are less knowledgeable about most of the products than the average consumer.

It's like going to Wal-Mart as asking for advice on the best paint to use in a problem area.

They don't know, they don't care about learning, and they don't care if you stay or leave.

Is it break time yet?

Go to a dealer who has experience and knowledge, or search for the barrels in the right places, and you will find them.

Originally posted by Waldo1:

Yeah, it looks like they are intentionally keeping supply tight to drive up/maintain higher prices. As with most manufacturing operations, I can only imagine that their cost per barrel would decrease if they manufactured more units. It seems like a short-sighted marketing plan. Longer-term, when potential consumers become aware that components and accessories are unavailable they will opt to purchase a competiitor's product. I have a hard time understanding how a company can increase their market share by NOT supplying product.

Given that Benelli sells every gun they make as fast as they can get them to market, I doubt their marketing plan is short sighted :rolleyes:

Again, few seem to realize just what a small fraction of overall sales replacement barrels account for, it's almost nil.

Sure some true sportspeople want extra barrels, and Benelli's plan is not overly helpful to those die-hard shooters, but the vast majority of folks are satisfied with the original barrel.

The true die-hard will just do his own homework and find a barrel on his own instead of whining on some internet forum that has no connection to Benelli's customer service and/or dealers.

It's not supply and demand with Benellis, it's demand, demand, demand.....

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by tucker301:

Go to a dealer who has experience and knowledge, or search for the barrels in the right places, and you will find them.

I know, in the past, we've ordered barrels for people. Send me an email, on what you're looking for, and I'll see how long it'll take and how much.

Gosh Mudhen, thanks for clearing all of that up. I hope that you don't injure yourself as you frantically masturbate your ego. I'm obviously not the elite afficianado that you are, but I'd like to offer a couple of observations.

1. Benelli does not sell every gun that they make as fast as they can get them to market. Ever see them in a rack at a sporting goods store? Those are not sold, those are inventory. I have also been surprised by the number of retailers I've spoken to who still have inventory, but no longer carry Benelli firearms, with their reason generally being "because Benelli USA is too hard to work with". I'm sure that you've read numerous posts on this board from those frustrated by availability and customer service- more whiners? I don't think I'm the only one scratching my head as to their marketing philosophy.

2. Yes, some "true sportspeople" do want additional barrels and I am one of them. I'm impressed with the M1 platform and I want a shorter barrel to use in 3-gun matches so that retain familiarity with the weapon's controls whether I'm hunting or shooting. This "true die-hard" will find a barrel despite the long backorders. As far as this forum and any connection to Benelli's Customer Service is concerned, that would have been coincidental. I was simply looking for some information and was engaged in a conversation (of sorts). By the way, insinuating yourself into a thread and offering nothing worthwhile, but only pompous drivel is called "Trolling" and is generally considered bad form.

3. There is a solution for Benelli's terrible dilemma of incessant "demand, demand, demand..." Its called "supply, supply, supply..." and it has worked for many companies for many years.

1. You are incorrect. Benellis are invoiced at the time of shipment to the dealers and belong to the dealer upon receipt. Any dealer that cannot turn his Benelli inventory in an economic manner should not be a Benelli dealer. The 'rack' at my local Benelli dealer turns briskly. Several other local Benelli dealers are top dealers in the nation.

Given the overall economic situation in your state, I am not surprised Benellis don't sell that well. I have many friends in Georgia, and most are perfectly happy with their Mossbergs and Remingtons. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, anyone who comes here to troll with posts about not finding what they want is a whiner. You are the poster child and continue to earn that title with every tap of the keyboard. Same for the guy that wanted a slug barrel for his Cordoba. Benelli is a dealer based operation. If you cannot accept that, don't buy a Benelli.

2. Benelli barrels can be found by anyone with a modicum of effort. Your resistance to the suggestions made by others clearly reveals your hidden agenda to disparage the Benelli name. It is likely that you are an employee of a competitior to Benelli or an employee of some establishment that has crossed paths with Benelli in some negative manner.

3. Better to produce a quality product and have a few service shortcomings than to produce a poor quality product. Mossberg can replace all the guns they want, but that is no substitute for quality.

As to the frantic masturbation part, you must have too much free time on your 'hands' there in Georgia. Additionally, that just sounds creepy (in a Deliverance sort of way) coming from a presumably grown man from Georgia. You may want to work on your social skills when you are attempting to maintain a logical, albeit lively, discussion.

I am merely providing sales facts. If you cannot handle that, I suggest you take your trolling drivel elsewhere...

mudhen - CA

Listen ... what you people are all failing to take into account is "WE'RE DEALING WITH ITALIANS HERE!!!! Do NOT apply conventional American logic to the equation. I've been unwillingly involved with my son's ten year "relationship" with Ferrari ... and it's EXACTLY like the Benelli stories. A lot of attention to form and function ... world class as a mater of fact ... and almost none to that whole Harvard business crap. They're like mad artists who don't worry about eating ... just creating. LOL

I think Waldo was just venting his frustration over the availability of Benelli barrels I don't think he was whining or *****ing. It seems like some people on this forum take anything said about Benelli that is negative personally. I will be the first to say in my opinion you absolutely can't buy a better semi auto shotgun than a Benelli. When I am out with it and other hunters or shooter asks me "how do you like that Benelli" the first thing out of my mouth is "I love it" and then I proceed to tell them why. Let’s call a spade a spade there customer service as far as ordering and getting accessories sucks. I ordered a Legacy and it took 9 months to get in. Most dealers in my area sell the **** out of the guns they get in, but when it comes to ordering accessories they don't want anything to do with it. They all tell me the same thing "go on the internet"

fo·rum

n

1. place to express yourself: a medium, for example, a magazine or newspaper, in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions

2. meeting for discussion: a meeting to discuss matters of general interest

3. history public square in Roman cities: a public square or marketplace in ancient Roman cities where business was conducted and the law courts were situated

4. law law court: a law court or tribunal

5. computing Internet discussion group: an Internet discussion group for participants with common interests

[15th century. From Latin , literally “outdoor place,” denoting an enclosed space around a house, later a marketplace. Ultimately from an Indo-European word that was the ancestor of English door and foreign.]

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Mudhen its called a forum for a reason. What gives you the right to tell people to go elsewhere if they don't agree with you.

Mudhen its called a forum for a reason. What gives you the right to tell people to go elsewhere if they don't agree with you. [/QB]
What gives you the right to tell me that I don't have the right to express my opinion to anyone here on this blessed forum that is supposedly so wide open to the free expression of anyone's particular opinion?

Maybe you can cut and paste someone else's ideas again and explain this to me...

It's just the internet people...

mudhen - CA

Mudhen where in my post did I say you did not have the right to express your opinion? You are the one who can't handle people expressing there opinion about Benelli without telling them to go elsewhere. How much does Benelli pay you and how much do you pay Tucker. LOL

Look I am going to use my cut & pasting skills again. tongue.gif

It's just the internet Mudhen smile.gif

"What gives you the right to tell people to go elsewhere if they don't agree with you."

You are infringing on my rights :(

Benelli should pay me :D They should name a gun after me - the Mudhen II - the camo pattern would be just mud colored with a little coot feces mixed in...

They should give me a free Cordoba since no one will want that piece of crap anyway since it does not have a slug barrel :rolleyes:

mudhen - CA