M4/Trijicon MRO

Diesel79

Hello all, new to the forum but not Benelli. Lol

i recently picked up a M4 and I’m looking to add an optic. I always see Aimpoint micros or RMR’s, but not really ever an MRO. 

Was looking at taking my MRO off my AR and buying a low ADM mount for it for the shotgun. 

I’ve always heard you don’t want anything too heavy in these and maybe the MRO with a mount is a touch heavy?

I don't know a thing about all the small optics. I am interested in them, just haven't bought or shot any...

I keep reading about the weight issues and making sure of a positive grip in the M4's and I just don't get it either. I mean, isn't why they went with gas operation? For recoil or inertia operation, I can see it. I can duplicate on demand making my SBE 1 not cycle the next shell by holding the gun to my side and pulling the trigger. The gun will eject the empty, then bolt will close on an empty chamber. This makes sense due to lack of resistance not allowing the recoil spring to compress fully. But the gas? It will even cycle properly down to 14" barrels which doesn't leave a lot of room between the ports and the end.

Was this helpful? Probably not at all. But, I have been seeing all these posts about weight and proper hold and can't see how it matters on the M4. I wondered if it was some oft-reported, seldom seen issue blown completely out of proportion or if it really does matter. If so, can someone elaborate?

The weight I was referring to was in regard to an optic being too heavy and ultimately destroying the aluminum receiver.   For lack of better terms the combined effect of a heavy optic and recoil causing the screws holding the rail down to beat the snot out of the aluminum receiver and ultimately widen out the screw holes. 

Edited by Diesel79

Got it, maybe I will go that route.  I’ve just read that with the co witness the sync provides it can be a busy sight picture with an RMR.   I’ll have to look into it a bit more.   I haven’t seen much with a micro mounted on a sync. 

I have the Scalar Leap mount for the MRO on the AR. Nice mount. 

Edited by Diesel79

46 minutes ago, Diesel79 said:

Got it, maybe I will go that route.  I’ve just read that with the co witness the sync provides it can be a busy sight picture with an RMR.   I’ll have to look into it a bit more.   I haven’t seen much with a micro mounted on a sync. 

I have the Scalar Leap mount for the MRO on the AR. Nice mount. 

Comes down to training I guess. I naturally look past the irons for the dot now so doesn't impact me. Would probably have a harder time with quick acquisition the other way around if I ever do need the backups, but at least I have that option.

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

Scalarworks + SRO.  I haven't been able to practice with it yet, but it looks good, and that is 90% of it, right?

IMG_7674 2.jpg

Yup, she sure looks purdy.  I bought one of sonyman74’s SRO battery tools so I should technically have something to use it on.  

• Like 1

New M4 user here.  Regarding the SRO, aren't you a bit concerned about the durability of said optic?  Mr. Guns 'n Gear address that topic in his video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iReIIKCxdec

In summary, he claims the SRO is good for recreational use or home defense, but can't stand up to drop tests and the rigors of duty-use (starting @ 4:33) because of the shape vs. the RMR.

...or, Aaron at SageDynamics (@11.10) who says essentially the same thing and then proceeds to drop test the SRO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iReIIKCxdec

Edited by Bibliophile

2 hours ago, Bibliophile said:

New M4 user here.  Regarding the SRO, aren't you a bit concerned about the durability of said optic?  Mr. Guns 'n Gear address that topic in his video here:

They are both great, I just liked the larger window.  The RMR might be more durable, but the SRO isn't a delicate flower.  For my use (110% recreation and home defense), it shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't seen a SeeAll sight on an M4 but I like the concept.  I actually like iron sights because I'm old school and think shooting iron sights is more challenging and fun.  I like the M4 factory sights but I wish the rear sight was a few inches forward.

The SeeAll sort of splits the difference between irons and a red dot.  Anyone have experience with these or think they would work on an M4?

https://www.seeallopensight.com/collections/rail-mount-sights