Older HK Benelli M1 super 90 feed tube problems

Deputy Doug

I'm having issues with the feed tube/ carrier latch. It appears the carrier latch barely catches the shell head and randomly while hunting, it will automatically feed another shell into the feed ramp. The cartridge drop lever looks straight, but is shinny from use, where it makes contact with the carrier latch. While pheasant hunting this last week, I know I had the feed tube full and after shooting 2 times the it was empty. I figure the extra shells dumped out the bottom onto the ground. I did not look on the ground because the pheasant went down still alive and I ran up on it before it ran off. I then realised the chamber was locked open and it was empty. I was in waist high grass and had no idea where I shot from to go back and look on the ground.

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

Dang, that's a clean gun.  Hard to say until you figure out what's actually happening.  Unless something's put together way wrong, I don't see how it would be possible to have the magazine dump rounds completely out of the gun.  Onto the carrier?  Yes.  Out of the gun?  Hmmm.  After shooting at a bird on this year's trip to SD, I thought I had reloaded but, in all the excitement, I hadn't.  Next bird I got off one shot, then nuthin'.  Oops, forgot to top it off.  Make sure the release moves freely and isn't binding.  Get some dummy rounds and manually take it through a bunch of firing cycles while looking closely at what's going on in there.  Go to the range, your back yard, or your uncle's open field, load it up for real and light it up.  A lot.  Take someone with you to watch the gun closely.  Or let them shoot it and you watch.  Take note of what, if anything, happens.  Report back.

Im 99% certain I had it full, first field of the day and first bird I shot at that day. I think (assuming I had it full) as the carrier lifted the second shell, the carrier latch never engaged and the rest just shot out onto the ground. Im going to test this and see if this is even possible. But the main question is why is the carrier latch occasionally letting a shell out of the tube, onto the carrier. It does not seam to be engaged on the face of the shell very far, maybe a 1/32 of an inch.

I did replace the trigger guard this summer because the other broke in half. I was told that this is a common problem. The trigger guard is what holds all of the trigger, carrier, hammer, cartridge drop lever, etc. If the replacement was bad and not hold the cartridge drop lever out far enough, that would cause the carrier latch to not engage as far. At least to me it looks that way.

Edited by Deputy Doug

Depending on the year of the gun it probably time to replace your Carrier Latch if it has heavy wear, out of tolerance or bent.  I have sent new guns back to Benelli with the same issue, when the gun returns it is noted (Adjusted Carrier Latch) which really means they bent it.  Please let me know if you would like a part number or instructions on how to replace the part or need assistance.  Another consistent issue with bent carrier latches is gun owners who put extended magazines and do not recalibrate the magazine spring.  Having worked on over 875 Benelli's this is the most common reason for Carrier Latch issues, however they do just wear out as well.  You will note the the new SBE 3 & Ethos has a new Carrier Latch design, two piece which should be more durable and makes loading easier.

9 hours ago, remarkable said:

Depending on the year of the gun it probably time to replace your Carrier Latch if it has heavy wear, out of tolerance or bent.  I have sent new guns back to Benelli with the same issue, when the gun returns it is noted (Adjusted Carrier Latch) which really means they bent it.  Please let me know if you would like a part number or instructions on how to replace the part or need assistance.  Another consistent issue with bent carrier latches is gun owners who put extended magazines and do not recalibrate the magazine spring.  Having worked on over 875 Benelli's this is the most common reason for Carrier Latch issues, however they do just wear out as well.  You will note the the new SBE 3 & Ethos has a new Carrier Latch design, two piece which should be more durable and makes loading easier.

I believe I bought it about 30 years ago. I did use an extended magazine and spring for a while but have not used it for 10 years. Yes I would like the part number and instructions. 

Should I try to bend the carrier latch? I noticed that if I push carrier latch button, it engages the face of the shell better. Also the pin the carrier latch pivots on seams to have some play in it. I think it may have worn a groove in the carrier latch, unless it us supposed to have some play.

How do you recalibrate the magazine spring?

Edited by Deputy Doug

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned my super 90 m1 for over 25 years, and put more than 11000 rounds through it, and never come across any of these problems.

Actually, when I pull it apart and clean it, it looks more or less as it did +25 years ago...

Scuffs and marks and some shiny spots on the blackened parts of cause, but overall as new.

The very few times it has missed, it always has been ammo failure.(wet, stored improper, aso)

Have I've just been lucky or what?