M4 poor workmanship

Nocturnalnature

Check em' before you buy em' fellas.

Purchased this gun on December 5th, and upon initial cleaning before my first range trip I discovered some bad machining marks inside the receiver.

Contacted Benelli via email on the 6th and had a return authorization and prepaid shipping label waiting for me on the 7th.

Shipped the gun out and it was received on the 9th. On Friday the 11th I receive notice that the gun had been repaired and was on its way back to me.

I received the returned gun today in the same condition it was sent, accompanied by a note stating "The cut lines in the receiver are normal for mass machined parts".

Considering I own two other M4's, as well as having now viewed several others failing to find these marks, I feel I can confidently state that it isn't normal.

Please note, these marks are deep enough to catch a fingernail, are uneven, and have no place on a new gun, much less one in this price range.

I have sent a follow up email to my initial service rep with the hopes that my complaint can be reviewed by someone higher up the chain, and included a quote  of their own advertised warranty as seen below,

• 10-year Limited Warranty: Your new Benelli firearm is warranted for 10 years from date of purchase against any defect in materials or workmanship in the metal parts of your product (“10-year Warranty”).

I certainly understand things happen, particularly with the rush to produce guns to match the current demand, but the unwillingness to stand behind them and honor your own warranty is inexcusable in my own humble opinion.

3oNe4om.jpg

UQCglxq.jpg

Edited by Nocturnalnature

Thanks for the reply Jimbo!

I am indeed referring to the marks you reference in your post.

I can understand that some wouldn't be bothered by it if the gun functions properly, however as with myself, there are some who expect the machining on a new gun to reflect the prestige of the brand name, as well as the price tag. Not perfect mind you, but not so sloppy as the machining that my particular firearm has received.

I will be the first to admit it is a cosmetic issue, however it obviously isn't supposed to be that way, and I dare say if it were on the outside you wouldn't be as quick to let it slide.

Edit: Forgot to mention. In the first photo look through the bolt knob cut out. 

1 hour ago, ruger said:

just took a look at my m4. inside finish is just a nice as the the outside receiver finish. no machine marks.

Thanks for checking!

Just got back from a frustrating trip at the range.

Turns out the front sight base is canted to the left and in order to sight it in the front sight has to be shifted all the way to the right and the rear sight has to be moved almost all the way left.

Called the company and they requested a photo, which I will also attach to this thread. 

I also left a message for a Mr. Orr who is the Repair Manager in regards to the machine marks in the hopes that he will be a bit more understanding.

I am truly not upset because the gun is a lemon, I'm simply frustrated that Benelli has thus far refused to remedy the situation.

PMUumoE.jpg

4 minutes ago, ruger said:

I ran into a problem with my m4 after trying to shoot out to 75 yards with slugs,trying to hit a 6 inch shoot and see target. couldn't figure out how the sights could bee so off.I also have an 870 tactical that never had this problem. after messing around  I went in the house and got my shooting sled and tried a bunch of different slugs. turns out I was jerking the gun somewhat and sending all my rounds to the right about 5-8 inches. they were all so constant I swore it was the sights. don't really know why i wasn't experiencing this with my 870. so any way after about a thousand slugs down range finally trained my old brain to forget about the recoil after all that's part of the fun of blasting away with slugs. havn't shot my 870 since purchasing my m4. it's nowhere near the same fun.

Thanks for the input!

If only it were that simple.

I had two other people try it (one right handed, and one left handed) and the POI was virtually identical for each of us.

I can't imagine us all having the exact same flinch pattern, particularly when one shot left handed with the same results.

The service rep emailed and asked for an additional photo, so at least they are looking into it.

9 minutes ago, ruger said:

I ran into a problem with my m4 after trying to shoot out to 75 yards with slugs,trying to hit a 6 inch shoot and see target. couldn't figure out how the sights could bee so off.I also have an 870 tactical that never had this problem. after messing around  I went in the house and got my shooting sled and tried a bunch of different slugs. turns out I was jerking the gun somewhat and sending all my rounds to the right about 5-8 inches. they were all so constant I swore it was the sights. don't really know why i wasn't experiencing this with my 870. so any way after about a thousand slugs down range finally trained my old brain to forget about the recoil after all that's part of the fun of blasting away with slugs. havn't shot my 870 since purchasing my m4. it's nowhere near the same fun.

With the triggers on these, it's easy to see how that could happen.

• Upvote 1

UPDATE 

Headed back to the factory for the front sight issue.

The service rep has been very helpful this go around, and I have asked him to make a note to see if the Repair Manager will reconsider the decision not to fix or replace my receiver. Hopefully they will step up and do the right thing.

I truly hope that Mr. Orr puts himself in my shoes as a consumer who is simply asking for a gun worthy of the Benelli name and the price I paid for it.

12 hours ago, Nocturnalnature said:

I'm curious to hear from StrangerDanger since he's seen a million of these guns.

Never seen one that bad with the machine marks on the receiver. Definitely got those marks before the anodizing was done. Removing those marks would not be easy to do, and would require refinishing afterwards. They'd essentially have to be sanded away. Hopefully Benelli will replace it for you.

The barrel cant isn't an easy fix either. It's usually how the barrel is canted in the barrel extension. Definitely not an end user fix. I couldn't even fix that myself since I don't have the jigs they use to hold the barrel in place. I would guess they seat the barrel, then weld on the front sight post at top dead center. The barrel will likely just be replaced.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Nocturnalnature said:

Check em' before you buy em' fellas.

Purchased this gun on December 5th, and upon initial cleaning before my first range trip I discovered some bad machining marks inside the receiver.

Contacted Benelli via email on the 6th and had a return authorization and prepaid shipping label waiting for me on the 7th.

Shipped the gun out and it was received on the 9th. On Friday the 11th I receive notice that the gun had been repaired and was on its way back to me.

I received the returned gun today in the same condition it was sent, accompanied by a note stating "The cut lines in the receiver are normal for mass machined parts".

Considering I own two other M4's, as well as having now viewed several others failing to find these marks, I feel I can confidently state that it isn't normal.

Please note, these marks are deep enough to catch a fingernail, are uneven, and have no place on a new gun, much less one in this price range.

I have sent a follow up email to my initial service rep with the hopes that my complaint can be reviewed by someone higher up the chain, and included a quote  of their own advertised warranty as seen below,

• 10-year Limited Warranty: Your new Benelli firearm is warranted for 10 years from date of purchase against any defect in materials or workmanship in the metal parts of your product (“10-year Warranty”).

I certainly understand things happen, particularly with the rush to produce guns to match the current demand, but the unwillingness to stand behind them and honor your own warranty is inexcusable in my own humble opinion.

3oNe4om.jpg

UQCglxq.jpg

wow, those machining marks in the first pic are totally unacceptable and seem pretty deep. I can't believe they told you that was in spec.

2 hours ago, gm2376 said:

wow, those machining marks in the first pic are totally unacceptable and seem pretty deep. I can't believe they told you that was in spec.

I was quite disappointed by that decision as well.

UPDATE

Just got off the phone with Mr. Orr and he said they are going to re-evaluate the machining marks when it's in for the front sight.

Seemed like a super nice fella, however he mentioned several times about the receiver being aluminum and that customers should expect wear as the shotgun is used. 

Believe me, having owned two other M4's I know about the wear, particularly around the ejection port. I could shoot this gun until the cows come home and it won't leave marks like it has from the factory.

I also asked how much the cost of a replacement receiver was and he said "the cost of the entire gun" followed by "the gun is going to get wear with use". 

After hearing that I have my doubts about Benelli replacing it or fixing the machining marks and unfortunately foresee receiving the gun back with the sight issue being repaired but the damaged receiver still intact.

As mentioned, Mr. Orr assured me they would check it out again and make a decision that's fair based on that examination. I truly hope that they put themselves in my shoes and do the right thing.

20 hours ago, Nocturnalnature said:

Thanks for checking!

Just got back from a frustrating trip at the range.

Turns out the front sight base is canted to the left and in order to sight it in the front sight has to be shifted all the way to the right and the rear sight has to be moved almost all the way left.

Called the company and they requested a photo, which I will also attach to this thread. 

I also left a message for a Mr. Orr who is the Repair Manager in regards to the machine marks in the hopes that he will be a bit more understanding.

I am truly not upset because the gun is a lemon, I'm simply frustrated that Benelli has thus far refused to remedy the situation.

PMUumoE.jpg

Really sloppy workmanship and this one should never have left the factory. I agree with your sentiments completely.

51 minutes ago, Evolution said:

One thing I just noticed from your pic of the receiver's side is that dot-matrix method of the "m4" instead of the roll mark that they used to do. Man, I really don't like that!

Huh, I'll have to check that out when it gets back, provided I still have my other M4's.

After this experience I'm giving serious consideration to abandoning the Benelli ship altogether. I have one of my remaining M4's listed on a local site to see if the interest is there. The other one is on indefinite loan with my son in law, so it may be gifted to him if I go this route.

This whole situation reminds me of an experience I had with Sig. I purchased a MPX and it came to me with machining marks on the inside of the lower receiver. I called them before I even filled out the paperwork and was assured they'd make it right. Sent it in and true to their word I received a brand new one within 2 weeks.

That is unbeatable customer service and support of your product line, and I have been a loyal Sig consumer since that day.

I realize many folks don't care for Sig, but it's hard to ignore a company that bends over backwards to make things right instead of trying to explain obvious defects as "normal".

I had a similar experience with Springfield Armory. I purchased an M1A and had it for 10 years, shot thousands of rounds thru it. I began to notice peening of the metal on the inside of the receiver caused by the bolt travel.

The rifle functioned normally without any issues but, I thought what the hell, I'll see if they'll replace the receiver. So I called them, they emailed me a shipping label, I sent it to them along with a note telling of my concerns. Two weeks later I had a new receiver. 

Good customer service is invaluable. Hope you have good luck with yours.

Edited by Evolution

55 minutes ago, Evolution said:

I had a similar experience with Springfield Armory. I purchased an M1A and had it for 10 years, shot thousands of rounds thru it. I began to notice peening of the metal on the inside of the receiver caused by the bolt travel.

The rifle functioned normally without any issues but, I thought what the hell, I'll see if they'll replace the receiver. So I called them, they emailed me a shipping label, I sent it to them along with a note telling of my concerns. Two weeks later I had a new receiver. 

Good customer service is invaluable. Hope you have good luck with yours.

Thanks for sharing your story Evolution!

As mentioned, I specifically asked the cost of a new receiver and was told "the price of a new gun". I thought this somewhat odd since all existing parts on my gun could be fitted to a new receiver.

Heck, our resident expert StrangerDanger strips them to bare bones on a routine basis, so I can't imagine Benelli trained smiths can't perform this operation at their U.S. service facility.