M4 poor workmanship

Nocturnalnature

I'm new M4's and hoping to find some perspective.  Thanks in Advance. 

I just received my new Benelli M4, H20 ($2,300)- transferred from another dealer.  Having read this thread before receiving the gun, I examined inside the receiver. 

Looking through the ejection port I noticed poor machining which left a burr large enough to catch a finger nail.  I'm concerned that it might catch the lip of a shell . . . but not sure.   

Question:   Do the M4 experts here think this looks typical / acceptable . . . or like an issue / something that needs to be addressed? 

Does anyone else have a similar burr along that edge?

Thanks again for any perspective. 

image.png.9d70b5c09d58996a9f3f99e32692f57c.pngimage.png.d20ca0a2ab5824da8e34441af5d9e24f.png

There is a very sight step on mine. Not burr-like. Seems like just a slight step between two machining processes. I only have about 100 shells through mine and except for one weak load it has cycled flawlessly. If I was worried about it or if it seemed to be causing a hang up I’d just hit it with a fine file to smooth it out. 

EE7E4FEF-558D-4C49-8B78-BA3F11E0EE32.jpeg

Shekkie - thanks for taking the time to post a photo.  Mine looks a bit more pronounced, but glad to hear your 'step' (a better description) hasn't caused an issue.   Maybe it's supposed to be there (?) . . . will be interested to see if others are seeing the 'step' on their M4's.     

Thanks again . . . 

• Upvote 1

The inspection to identify the OP's concerns in this situation is usually not part of a routine pre-purchase over the counter inspection. Interested in seeing the factory resolution to this customer service inquiry. I could however understand  Benelli's position that an internal machining blemish that does not influence function , is not a mechanical "defect" therefore may not require replacement v. OP's concern observing this as a  manufacturing "defect". Standing by.

Edited by benelliwerkes

10 minutes ago, benelliwerkes said:

The inspection to identify the OP's concerns in this situation is usually not part of a routine pre-purchase over the counter inspection. Interested in seeing the factory resolution to this customer service inquiry. I could however understand  Benelli's position that an internal machining blemish that does not influence function , is not a mechanical "defect" therefore may not require replacement v. OP's concern observing this as a  manufacturing "defect". Standing by.

Thanks for the input!

Let's hope they at least send it back where it'll shoot slugs closer to dead center without the front sight being adjusted as far right as it will go, and the rear sight almost as far left as it will go.

I've decided that if it comes back with the sights fixed but the receiver the same then I'll sell it, and my remaining M4, to someone who isn't as concerned about the apparent lack of quality control and company's unwillingness to stand by a loyal customer.

Not a threat or tantrum by any means, but life is too short to have to settle instead of being satisfied with a purchase.

Update,

I spoke with Mr. Orr and he informed me that he made the decision to replace the gun. I am relieved, thankful, and extremely excited to receive the new gun in a few days and plan a half day range trip, complete with cigar, once it gets here to celebrate.

As before, he was very friendly, understanding, and above all, patient while I thanked him continuously for standing by a loyal Benelli customer.

I would like to publicly thank Benelli, and especially Mr. Orr, for going above and beyond to make a customer happy.

WELL DONE AND GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nocturnalnature said:

Update,

I spoke with Mr. Orr and he informed me that he made the decision to replace the gun. I am relieved, thankful, and extremely excited to receive the new gun in a few days and plan a half day range trip, complete with cigar, once it gets here to celebrate.

As before, he was very friendly, understanding, and above all, patient while I thanked him continuously for standing by a loyal Benelli customer.

I would like to publicly thank Benelli, and especially Mr. Orr, for going above and beyond to make a customer happy.

WELL DONE AND GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

SO glad that they helped you like they should have in the first place!  I have been lurking in this forum for about a month and I finally joined up today, and I also just purchased a Benelli M4 11707 because I just have been wanting one for ages, and because I waited I ended up spending $1999/shipped, but I'm sure I could have done worse, maybe... Lol  I also bought the Benelli adjustable stock and a 2rd extension.  I was watching this thread closely and wanted to hear back from you before I made my purchase, and now I'm glad I waited and I feel confident Benelli will take care of me if my unit is not up to spec.  Thanks again for this thread, and for updating like you have been.  I'll see you around....

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, shojus said:

SO glad that they helped you like they should have in the first place!  I have been lurking in this forum for about a month and I finally joined up today, and I also just purchased a Benelli M4 11707 because I just have been wanting one for ages, and because I waited I ended up spending $1999/shipped, but I'm sure I could have done worse, maybe... Lol  I also bought the Benelli adjustable stock and a 2rd extension.  I was watching this thread closely and wanted to hear back from you before I made my purchase, and now I'm glad I waited and I feel confident Benelli will take care of me if my unit is not up to spec.  Thanks again for this thread, and for updating like you have been.  I'll see you around....

New here as well and just ordered mine. Because I kept putting it off, it cost me $100 more than what you paid. I have several different autoloaders, but have been wanting the best. This whole thread was well worth the read.

• Upvote 1

Got the replacement in today and it's a beauty.

Machining/fit and finish, are exactly what you expect from a prestigious brand like Benelli and I can't wait to hit the range to get it sighted in.

A HUGE thank you again to Benelli, Mr. Orr, and all you fine folks who took the time out of your day to read, respond, and follow this thread to its conclusion.

Now, if I can just find a collapsible stock I can finish up my 922R conversion and upset the folks on the skeet field by using it for our Wednesday night shoot ?.

Took it to the range today to sight in and it was dead on with the first shot!

Very accurate with slugs, buckshot, and ran 2 boxes of cheap target loads with no problems at all.

To finish the day I sat in the skeet shack with a nice fire burning in the wood stove and smoked a Montecristo while wiping it down.

I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING ?!

• Upvote 2

On 1/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, Nocturnalnature said:

Got the replacement in today and it's a beauty.

Machining/fit and finish, are exactly what you expect from a prestigious brand like Benelli and I can't wait to hit the range to get it sighted in.

A HUGE thank you again to Benelli, Mr. Orr, and all you fine folks who took the time out of your day to read, respond, and follow this thread to its conclusion.

Now, if I can just find a collapsible stock I can finish up my 922R conversion and upset the folks on the skeet field by using it for our Wednesday night shoot ?.

I just paid $518/shipped for a collapsible stock, and it should be here soon, but MAN that's a lot of money!!  I maybe should have just bought the Mesa Tactical stock, but for some reason I just HAD to have that "look" of the collapsible stock...  I'm sure I will always be able to sell it if I end up regretting the purchase.  Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad you got a new Benelli that's 100%!  Cheers

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, shojus said:

I just paid $518/shipped for a collapsible stock, and it should be here soon, but MAN that's a lot of money!!  I maybe should have just bought the Mesa Tactical stock, but for some reason I just HAD to have that "look" of the collapsible stock...  I'm sure I will always be able to sell it if I end up regretting the purchase.  Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad you got a new Benelli that's 100%!  Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

if you decide the collapsible stock isn't for you please let me know and I'll take it off your hands with no money lost on your end.

Just now, Nocturnalnature said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

if you decide the collapsible stock isn't for you please let me know and I'll take it off your hands with no money lost on your end.

I'll keep you in mind, as I may end up grabbing the Mesa just to compare, and if I like the Mesa better I'll PM you.