Only 8 weeks for short shotgun from BATF

kengps

I can't believe it. I sent in all the paperwork for a short-barrel M2 on Feb. 26th. They kicked the application back to me because I didn't fill out some form about shipping weapons out of state. Not sure what that was. Never seen it mentioned before. Maybe something that you need for a Form 1 only? Anyway, the letter said My application doesn't start until everything is in order. In other words, "back to the end of the line" But 2 weeks later It comes back all done. Took only about 8 weeks total.

Short barrel shotguns are the only thing that my state (Indiana) doesn't allow. It's pretty bad that I can own machineguns, silencers, short barrel rifles, etc., but not one of those. I'm hoping to get that law changed very soon.

Congratulations on yours. Have fun with it!

Originally posted by Duggan:

I don't beleive NY allows any class 3 weapons for civilian ownship ...

Is there a site that shows a breakdown by state? I know I can't possess silencers from that thing on AAC's site ...

http://www.advanced-armament.com/owners.asp

But other things, I'm not sure. Doubtful though.

New York only allows AOW's and large-bore destructive devices. A short-barrel shotgun with a pistol grip is considered an AOW, so at least you can own one of those if you choose.

Aha, look at that cute little hand shrapnel cannon.

So I'm allowed to have AOW's and LBDD's eh?

Kind of limits my options, as I don't think many things are classified as AOW besides some short shotguns.

And LBDD's ... I take it that consists only of flare guns and grenade laucher attachments, which are useless if I have no supply of grenades.

Harrr.

[ 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

M4Madness, maybe your state only wants the wealthy to have the super cool stuff? The cheapest "specialty" type firearm BY FAR is a short barreled shotgun. Where as a machine gun will cost thousands. Even a crappy Mac 10 will cost you thousands. Suppresors are far cheaper but still more then a short barrel, esp., if you get a good one. Alot of gun laws leave one scratching there head. You can walk away w/ the most devestating close up hand held firearm there is (shotgun) in my state but a pistol takes 7-10 days. Save your reasoning "that you can't conceal.... blah blah blah. Tight gun laws screw law abiding citezens, and give criminals easy marks IMO.

Originally posted by TRG-42:

M4Madness, maybe your state only wants the wealthy to have the super cool stuff? The cheapest "specialty" type firearm BY FAR is a short barreled shotgun. Where as a machine gun will cost thousands. Even a crappy Mac 10 will cost you thousands. Suppresors are far cheaper but still more then a short barrel, esp., if you get a good one.

Who knows what their reasoning is? What sucks is that I can have a short-barreled shotgun with a pistol grip, but no buttstock -- and the AOW would be a lot more concealable! I'd say that Indiana's short-barrel shotgun law probably dates back to the gangster era and John Dillinger. I'm currently working with a couple of state senators to try to get them legalized here.

Yeah, I know how the whole NFA scene can be very expensive, as I have an M16 and four top-performing suppressors in various calibers.