FFT M4 trigger issue

NikoTheAsian

So just installed this kit and it all seems fine, however i notice that the when cocked the hammer lip sits barely on the disconnecter lip, to the point where half the time i can pull the trigger while the safety is engaged and hear the click of the hammer dropping to the trigger lip.

In testing with dry firing dummies it seems to work fine 90% of the time, but sometimes ill dry fire the gun with a snap cap chambered, then try to cycle it and the gun wont pick up a shell in the tube and will lock back as if it was empty when the tube has dummies in it. Idk if this is related or not. 

Any insight for a newb pls?

20201230_014418.jpg

The issue lately seems to be the polymer OEM trigger frame having a wandering or new spec. Lately I haven't seen any of the polymer frames function with the FFT trigger kit. You're hammer is definitely hanging on the disconnector shown in your photo. This is the exact issue I usually see and I've rebuilt around a 100 of these trigger packs.

You have three directions you can go to fix this;

1. Buy an A&S Engineering trigger frame. They copied the original OEM aluminum frame specs which allows these trigger kits to drop in.

2. Return the FFT trigger kit, and send your polymer OEM frame to Briley. They fit their parts to the OEM polymer trigger frame. This could also be done with the A&S Engineering frame.

3. Try to remove material from the FFT hammer seer. Not an ideal solution since you'd be removing surface hardened and NP3 plated material from the seer contact face.

Personally, I would go with the first option. You'll really like the A&S Engineering trigger frame. It will also count as another US made part.

https://ansshotguns.com/?product=enhanced-trigger-guard-benelli-m4

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

The issue lately seems to be the polymer OEM trigger frame having a wandering or new spec. Lately I haven't seen any of the polymer frames function with the FFT trigger kit. You're hammer is definitely hanging on the disconnector shown in your photo. This is the exact issue I usually see and I've rebuilt around a 100 of these trigger packs.

1. Buy an A&S Engineering trigger frame. They copied the original OEM aluminum frame specs which allows these trigger kits to drop in.

2. Return the FFT trigger kit, and send your polymer OEM frame to Briley. They fit their parts to the OEM polymer trigger frame. This could also be done with the A&S Engineering frame.

3. Try to remove material from the FFT hammer seer. Not an ideal solution since you'd be removing surface hardened and NP3 plated material from the seer contact face.

Personally, I would go with the first option. You'll really like the A&S Engineering trigger frame. It will also count as another US made part.

Thanks for detailed reply. I just picked up the frame as you suggested, so this should remedy my issue? I notice alot of these issues are that the disconnecter causes the hammer to hang up and not drop, whereas my issue seems that the hammer just barely hangs under the lip of the disconnecter. Again thank you for your detailed response much appreciated ? 

In all of the trigger packs I've fixed, the A&S frame does the trick without any fitting of the parts. This fitting would remove the NP3 plating which would likely hurt the performance. It may also remove surface hardness which may lead to problems down the road. Anytime you can avoid changing the seer contact surface, you should go that route.

What i did was I picked up a second trigger group which was a polymer frame so i could leave the original intact which is an aluminum Trigger group and use it as a reference point. So i don't know if  the polymer trigger group had  problems or not. Now the fit for the change over from the polymer frame to the A & S frame was pretty good. I did it in stages and I used StrangerDanger's instructions which were excellent and very detailed. Also , by doing it this way I satisfy 3 parts for the 922(r) rule ,I think New frame helps too and i could go with a full size magazine tube or go for a extended tube.I haven't decided yet which way to go.

On 12/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, StrangerDanger said:

The frame counts as a compliance part as well as the trigger, hammer and disconnector. So you’ve got four parts in the bag with this swap. Magazine tube and magazine follower and you have a bit of breathing room. 

I just got the frame today and installed, everything seems perfect! The trigger seems to be working as intended, reset is working, feels crisp. Also you were right, i do like the a&s frame alot. The cutout on the upper half is very nice. Thank you for your recommendation i appreciate you ? 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2020 at 2:30 AM, StrangerDanger said:

SD, If i get the AS Housing and send it off to Briley for their trigger, that parts would i have to buy to leave my poly trigger group stock?  Safety I know, I have a Tararn Tactical lifter as well.  What would the additional parts cost?

IDipwZh.jpg

A&S Engineering will give you the trigger frame (014J), the safety retainer pin (012J) and the rear trigger pin (010J). The Briley trigger packs will give you the trigger (009J), hammer (002J) and disconnector (005B). I'm not sure about the disconnector spring (277J), disconnector plunger 045J, disconnector pin (023J) and trigger spring (011J).

You could put your OEM Carrier (017J) back in the polymer frame if you wanted. You'd need a bunch of other parts like a trigger pin (010J), safety(013J), safety plunger (008J), safety spring (007J), shell release lever (076J), trigger bushing (016J), trigger guard pin spring (018J), breech bolt latch (019J), breech bolt latch pin (020J), carrier spring plunger (022J), carrier spring (021J), hammer spring (004J), hammer spring cap (003J), shell release lever spring (077J).

It's going to nickel and dime you to death. You can probably buy a complete pack for about what you'd spend on all of the individual small parts. You can look at pricing for the components here:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/benelli-m4/parts.html

Edited by StrangerDanger
  • Upvote 3

On 12/31/2020 at 1:30 AM, StrangerDanger said:

I agree with StrangerDanger. The A & S is awesome and makes it easier to load.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 7:38 AM, les_garten said:

SD, If i get the AS Housing and send it off to Briley for their trigger, that parts would i have to buy to leave my poly trigger group stock?  Safety I know, I have a Tararn Tactical lifter as well.  What would the additional parts cost?

On 10/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, StrangerDanger said:

IDipwZh.jpg

A&S Engineering will give you the trigger frame (014J), the safety retainer pin (012J) and the rear trigger pin (010J). The Briley trigger packs will give you the trigger (009J), hammer (002J) and disconnector (005B). I'm not sure about the disconnector spring (277J), disconnector plunger 045J, disconnector pin (023J) and trigger spring (011J).

You could put your OEM Carrier (017J) back in the polymer frame if you wanted. You'd need a bunch of other parts like a trigger pin (010J), safety(013J), safety plunger (008J), safety spring (007J), shell release lever (076J), trigger bushing (016J), trigger guard pin spring (018J), breech bolt latch (019J), breech bolt latch pin (020J), carrier spring plunger (022J), carrier spring (021J), hammer spring (004J), hammer spring cap (003J), shell release lever spring (077J).

It's going to nickel and dime you to death. You can probably buy a complete pack for about what you'd spend on all of the individual small parts. You can look at pricing for the components here:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/benelli-m4/parts.html

Ya this was my plan as well. I want to keep my oem trigger pack (at least for now) and send briley the a&s trigger guard and taran tactical lifter i picked up.