Carrier latch issue on the Montefeltro

Mike B

I have a new Montefeltro and am having a problem with the carrier latch. About 30% of the time, after a shell is in the chamber and the bolt closed,  the carrier latch won't depress to allow shells to be put in the magazine. As soon as I press the carrier release button the latch then can be depressed to allow shells in the magazine. I have owned  many Benellis in the past and have never experienced this problem. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

40 minutes ago, Mike B said:

I have a new Montefeltro and am having a problem with the carrier latch. About 30% of the time, after a shell is in the chamber and the bolt closed,  the carrier latch won't depress to allow shells to be put in the magazine. As soon as I press the carrier release button the latch then can be depressed to allow shells in the magazine. I have owned  many Benellis in the past and have never experienced this problem. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

I may be using the wrong term. I just looked at my manual. There are times, after the shell is in the chamber and the bolt closed, the carrier latch will not depress to allow shells  to be put in the magazine. If I press the carrier control button (black button on the side of the receiver, the latch can then be depressed to allow shells to ne inserted in the magazine.

Mike,

When you press the carrier latch button on the side of the receiver you are moving the carrier latch inward cover more of the magazine tube.  You may have debies behind the carrier latch.

If I was servicing the gun I would:

Remove magazine spring and follower, insuring all of these parts are clean.

Remove and check the carrier latch itself, seeing if it is bent.  Do you have a extended magazine on the gun?

Please let me know if you would like instruction on how to remove the Carrier Latch.

Your issues are very minor.

12 hours ago, remarkable said:

Mike,

When you press the carrier latch button on the side of the receiver you are moving the carrier latch inward cover more of the magazine tube.  You may have debies behind the carrier latch.

If I was servicing the gun I would:

Remove magazine spring and follower, insuring all of these parts are clean.

Remove and check the carrier latch itself, seeing if it is bent.  Do you have a extended magazine on the gun?

Please let me know if you would like instruction on how to remove the Carrier Latch.

Your issues are very minor.

Thanks for the help. I do not have an extended magazine tube. I will try what you have suggested. I will also remove the trigger group. It has been a long time since I have done that on a Benelli but as I recall when it comes out the carrier latch is attached. I can then check and clean everything.

Hi Mike,

You more than likely have a bent carrier latch if you have a extended magazine, most extended magazine kits do not calibrate the Magazine Spring correctly thus causing damage to the carrier latch.  I replace several.. too many of these every year, mostly damaged by extended magazine & calibration.

Here is a photo of the carrier latch.  Part 63

image.png.e1e3ded185d0d01657fb5a101403b415.png

Please let me know if you would like instructions on how to remove it.  You will more than likely need to replace the part as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone resolved this issue? I’m having exact same problem as OP with my 20 ga, and I’ve only shot 2 boxes of shells through it. It seems that about 30% of the time, when the bolt closes on a shell and I want to feed the magazine, the carrier will not depress far enough to allow a shell to feed. A couple of times the shell actually jammed when fed with the carrier partially depressed.

4 hours ago, DonJ said:

Has anyone resolved this issue? I’m having exact same problem as OP with my 20 ga, and I’ve only shot 2 boxes of shells through it. It seems that about 30% of the time, when the bolt closes on a shell and I want to feed the magazine, the carrier will not depress far enough to allow a shell to feed. A couple of times the shell actually jammed when fed with the carrier partially depressed.

When you close the bolt are you pressing the bolt release button and letting the bolt go forward under its own power, or are you holding the bolt handle and easing the bolt forward? If the Benelli bolt is not fully closed (in battery) the shell carrier will not move up quite far enough to allow shells to pass into the magazine tube.

To illustrate the issue fully unload your shotgun. Open and close the bolt (letting the bolt fly forward on the empty chamber). Turn the gun upside down so you are looking in to the bottom the receiver (where you load shells into the magazine tube). Press the shell carrier all the way down and hold it down. Now slightly retract the bolt. You will feel the bolt start to ride against the shell carrier and slightly raise it up.

I always use the bolt release button to close the bolt (I also own SBE’s 1, 2 & 3 and know the importance of letting the bolt slam home), BUT following your advice, I experimented with the bolt and carrier and discovered just how sensitive the carrier is to bolt seating. For example, if you draw the bolt back to confirm that a shell is in the chamber before loading the mag, you’re probably not going to get the bolt fully seated again. 

At least you gave me something to look for the next time it happens. Thanks

• Like 1