M4 Build Finally Completed!

Milspec

1 minute ago, Milspec said:

Glad I could help.  ?   I noticed they actually have them in stock now.

There is now 1 less in-stock at Optics Planet!  I've seen SD's tutorial on replacing the sling plate before and I was confused.  Reviewed it again this morning along with Benelliwerks' manual before I purchased.  I think I'm now ready to tackle the job.  Just need to pick-up a 13mm 8mm x 1.0mm pitch locking nut (slave nut) to get the job done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Birdog19 said:

There is now 1 less in-stock at Optics Planet!  I've seen SD's tutorial on replacing the sling plate before and I was confused.  Reviewed it again this morning along with Benelliwerks' manual before I purchased.  I think I'm now ready to tackle the job.  Just need to pick-up a 13mm 8mm x 1.0mm pitch locking nut (slave nut) to get the job done.

If you get stuck, hit me up. Hardest part is getting the 13mm nut off of the stock screw with nothing to grab it by. 

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

If you get stuck, hit me up. Hardest part is getting the 13mm nut off of the stock screw with nothing to grab it by. 

One thing I was curious about on reassembly.  As you thread the stock retaining pin/bolt onto the threaded stock retaining plate, does the stock retaining plate bottom out on the bolt threads?  Or, is there some resistance as the retaining plate compresses the 8 retaining spring washers against the swivel plate?  You and Benelliwerks caution against over tightening because the salve nut will have to be removed once assembly is completed.  Just curious as to how much to tighten the stock bolt onto the stock retaining plate?

And, thanks for the offer of assistance -- I may need it!

The sling plate isn’t threaded at all. So the main bolt that goes thru the sling plate, then thread into that locking plate with the 8 spring washers compressed between the sling plate and the locking plate. The spring washers have to be orientated in a specific way too. Since there is no head on that main bolt to tighten with, you have to use the 13mm nut to tighten it to the locking plate. It doesn’t have to be put in very tight since you need to be able to remove it. The only way to remove it is by adding another 13mm nut to the buttstock side of the main bolt that should be sticking out past the locking plate. Once that nut is firmly in place, it should hold the bolt in place and allow you to remove the first nut that is deep inside the receiver sides.

I would have never figured out how to get it apart without benelliwerks assistance. 

20 minutes ago, M2_shootr said:

I’m really not a fam of the field stocks, I prefer the collapsible 

But, something about the NP3 finish just makes your M4 pop with the field stock, love it!

I love the adjustable stock on my AR but it just feels wrong on a shotgun. I guess too many years of using an 870 ruined me and anything else feels “off”. 

10 hours ago, Birdog19 said:

Oh no!  Look what arrived via UPS this evening.  Do I start drinking before or after the attempted swap-out?  It's hard to tell from the photo, but it is a Noveski.

Sling Plate QD.jpg

I got mine a few days ago and am ready to start cursing as I begin the install this morning. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shekkie said:

I love the adjustable stock on my AR but it just feels wrong on a shotgun. I guess too many years of using an 870 ruined me and anything else feels “off”. 

All my years of shooting the M16/AR has pushed me toward pistol grips. Except my 870, have a MagPul on it. Forgot about the Browning BPS, it’s has the “English stock” on it

• Upvote 1

It took me less than 1/2 hour. Easy, IMO, with the Stranger Danger instructions. 

Just my humble additions.......

My concern was using the heatgun “inside” of the plastic stock. No issues but I only used the gun for about 20 seconds each time and checked to make sure the plastic wasn’t softening. Probably worried about nothing. 

My vice is holding another project right now so I gave it a shot just holding the stock between my knees and had no issues. 

Vice grips worked fine for holding the stud to loosen the slave nut. No marring to the stud. 

I used an 18” extension on the 13mm socket. That gave me kind of an extra hand during reassembly. I used it to hold the stud/slave nut while I installed the springs and retainer. The retainer is threaded so the long extension made it easy to turn the threaded stud into the retainer with the assistance of the floor and gravity holding it all together. DA0A7DF8-EED7-406D-82C0-53A6F743F29C.thumb.jpeg.eeaef45cd46388e7a0cbf1090b506acc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Shekkie said:

It took me less than 1/2 hour. Easy, IMO, with the Stranger Danger instructions. 

Nice job Shekkie and most grateful thanks to Benelliwerks and Strangerous Dave.

A few things to add to your most excellent range/garage report:

1)  A 13mm 8/1.0mm nut must not be the industry standard.  I really wanted a nylon lock nut but neither Lowes or Home Depot had them.  They did have plenty of 8/1.25mm stuff.  I did manage to pick up a 4-pack of regular 8/1.0 mm nuts that worked just fine on reassembly....now what do I do with them?  On another note, I didn't see a lot of inventory on their shelves; lots of empty holes...my first reality check that COVID has hit the manufacturing and logistics pipeline.  The Chinka'nese hit our Lines Of Communications!

2)  The Mutherland must have been saving money on blue Loctite as I was able to remove the stock bolt nut without heat or retard strength (per SD).  There wasn't much Loctite to remove.  Easy do.

3)  Here is where stupid must be overcome by money and time.  I inventoried my tools and found that much of my 3/8" socket tools had found other more needy homes (they grew legs).  However, the 1/2" socket drives and extensions were plentiful with the exception of deep socket metric.  Off to Lowes to get 1/2" drive deep socket metrics.  That accomplished, taking the nut of the stock bolt (stock butt end) is pretty simple as far as reach and access goes.  However, the tunnel in the forend of the stock is where you need the 10" extension.  Using a 1/2" socket set, things were pretty tight and confined getting through the tunnel.  Maybe a little petroleum jelly would have made life easier -- as it usually does in tight fitting situations....not that I'd know.  I ended up accepting defeat on taking that hill. While in full retreat mode, managed to pull the 13mm socket off of the 10" extension.  Shit the bed!  I was able to reseat the extension in the socket and slowly twist and ease all lost tools out of the stock.  Back to Lowes for 3/8" stuff.  Money, time, gas, whatever.

4)  With a 3/8" socket drive set-up, I used the actual stock bolt retaining nut as the salve nut to remove the stock retaining plate.  As the tutorials described, tighten it down pretty good then apply heat to the retaining plate through the butt end of the stock and work it, until she likes it.  Then, all is so good.

5)  I used my Lowes 13mm bolt as the salve bolt on reassembly and all went according to plan and as described in the tutorials.  After my cross-country travels to un-f#ck myself with the proper tools, I'd have to agree with Shekkie that half-hour to 45 mins is all it takes.

6)  I found SD's tutorial to be excellent (read it 15 times before picking up a tool), but I also found Benelliwerks' Anatomy of the M4 Manual to be an outstanding cross reference to the task.  If you are unaware of Benelliwerks' manual, give him a PM shout.  He charges a few bucks for a PDF download version but it is excellent reading and a great pictorial-tutorial.  You'll know your gun better after reading it!!!

7)  OBTW, The Noveski Sling Plate is NOT a full swivel/rotational quick-disconnect receptacle.  In other words, it is very much positioned and locked-in after insertion - it won't swivel once locked-in.  Only training and experience will tell if that is a deal, or not.

Birdog - OUT!  Time to cook dinner.....

P.S. rum-drunk

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, Birdog19 said:

Oh no!  Look what arrived via UPS this evening.  Do I start drinking before or after the attempted swap-out?  It's hard to tell from the photo, but it is a Noveski.

Sling Plate QD.jpg

on the optics planet sight these look silver in color. https://www.opticsplanet.com/noveske-benelli-qd-sling-plates.html?_gl=1*rhsvi4*_ga*YW1wLTRXdzI5SFBBaU9aNk9XR2h3TVlRZThxM1ZuUlVldy10TU5BTVBXSVZTMkZSSG9BZ1NYQ0xlYmFtbFpfeHdNa0w. is yours black, or is it just the lighting in the picture. if i can get it in black i will get it on backorder right now. 

• 2 months later...