Question about Trijicon dual illuminated reflex dot size .

Gmcrigger2007

12 hours ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

What ranges are you planning to be shooting at?

7.0 MOA = 7 inches at 100 yards, 3.5 inches at 50 yards, 1.75 inches at 25 yards, etc., all perfectly suitable for a shotgun.

Quicker acquisition with a larger red dot.

I would say that 25yds to 75yds would be about right in my present situation. I have the rm06 and i like it a lot. Just looking to get away from battery red dots . I haven't seen any articles about extreme heat or extreme cold on the dual illuminated red dots. I just may give it a try if i could find one with all that's going on.

Thanks for the reply

I shoot a RM05/9moa dot on one of my 3-gun M1's.  I've got RM04/7moa RMR's on other guns.  To my eye it's impossible to tell the difference in size between the two.  There are a couple of issues with the dual illuminated models.  Each issue has to do with ambient lighting.  First, when shooting in direct, unobstructed mid-day sunlight, the dot flares a great deal.  Second, when shooting from a covered/shady or darkened position out into a bright, sunlit area, the dot is almost invisible against something like a bright white painted steel target.  I've taken care of the first problem with a black sharpie, inking over the light intake area.  That works great in the outside scenarios since the ink is opaque enough to transmit sufficient dot-illuminating light even on a cloudy day.  However, that fix exacerbates the second problem scenario shooting from a darkened area out into a bright light area.  Since most of my competition stuff is out in the bright sun (Florida), the sharpie fix works like a charm to reduce the dot flare.  But that's just me.  Your choice will depend on the type of shooting you intend to do.

10 hours ago, truckcop said:

I shoot a RM05/9moa dot on one of my 3-gun M1's.  I've got RM04/7moa RMR's on other guns.  To my eye it's impossible to tell the difference in size between the two.  There are a couple of issues with the dual illuminated models.  Each issue has to do with ambient lighting.  First, when shooting in direct, unobstructed mid-day sunlight, the dot flares a great deal.  Second, when shooting from a covered/shady or darkened position out into a bright, sunlit area, the dot is almost invisible against something like a bright white painted steel target.  I've taken care of the first problem with a black sharpie, inking over the light intake area.  That works great in the outside scenarios since the ink is opaque enough to transmit sufficient dot-illuminating light even on a cloudy day.  However, that fix exacerbates the second problem scenario shooting from a darkened area out into a bright light area.  Since most of my competition stuff is out in the bright sun (Florida), the sharpie fix works like a charm to reduce the dot flare.  But that's just me.  Your choice will depend on the type of shooting you intend to do.

Thanks, I was just planning on using it for short ranges. Sounds like i maybe better off using an rmr with a battery. The batteries do last a long time .

Thank you for your input.

I never cared for the larger dot size optics. At a 100 yards, a 6 moa dot will cover 6” of the target. Where as a 1 moa will cover 1” of the target. I never found the larger dots to be easier or faster to find particularly on a rifle or shotgun that has an established cheekweld. 

On optics like the RMR, I can’t really tell the difference between the 1 and the 3.5 moa dot size. 

^^^ The dot size one views in the optic of various mfg.'s does not necessarily reflect the MOA representation, i.e. a 3.5 MOA dot viewed is not 1/2 the visual size of a 7 MOA dot/ triangle viewed.....thru the optic. The "red / orange / green dot-triangle " that is viewed is merely a representation of a 3.5" v. 7" impact probability at 100 yards. IF you take a 3.5 MOA optic and a 7 MOA optic and view a 6" plate at 100 yards, the 7 MOA dot will not obscure the view of the 6" plate; you would however be able to more accurately place your shot on the 6" plate with a 3.5 MOA viewed dot if the firearm was capable of that accuracy.

This 14" Wilson Combat Scattergun Technologies has a 8 MOA RMR that is more than adequate at expected range of engagements for a SBS. The  factory barrel has been customized by  Vang Comp to  extend the forcing  cone and porting.

The M4 14" Entry is just as good with a 2 MOA Aimpoint, a bit quicker shot-shot due to ARGO auto system. IF I need a 100M slug shot with these boys, I picked up the wrong tool for the task. Just sayin'. 

Love the Asgaard Defense forward shell holders auto or pump.

DSCN2155A copy.jpg

DSCN2164a copy.jpg

IMG_0126 copy.JPG

IMG_5338 copy.JPG

IMG_6043 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 6.20.29 PM.png

Edited by benelliwerkes