M4 FFT Top Rail - Am I wasting my money?

FRESH_OUTTA_800AD

Hey guys, 

I recently picked up a M4 and have been ordering some 'upgrades' and have been having some second thoughts on the FFT Top Rail I placed a pre-order for. I've read that the OEM top rail is not mil-spec and that many optics wont actually fit. I haven't settled on a particular optic yet, but I was screwing around and through a Vortex UH-1 G2 on there and it fit on the OEM rail without issue. This has me thinking the FFT rail may not be the best place for my cash right now.  

Is the OEM rail sufficient for most common optic manufacturers, or is a after-market top rail recommended?  

The complaints I have heard are that the rail destroys Larue mounts, instead of the mount destroying the rail.

You'll be fine with the factory rail if you can find a mount with full width recoil lug/s.

Trijicon's quick detach comes to mind but it's too high unless you run the second position on a C stock.

I have yet to find a mount that has full recoil lugs and is low enough to use with the fixed stock.

7 hours ago, FRESH_OUTTA_800AD said:

M2_shootr - can you clarify what you meant? It's not clear what your position was.

Mind if I ask you all what optics you're using? 

Was speaking of the Larue optic mounts. The split picatinny rails eat the recoil lugs. Those mounts are not recommended for split rail use, even by Larue 

As mentioned, don't use split rail (aka light rails) with LaRue or Bobro mounts. If you use an ADM mount (or other similar styles) it will be fine. ADM mounts return to zero accurate enough for a shotgun. Personally ... I'd probably go with the ADM mount route just to save the expense of replacing the rail.

Up to you if you want to swap it out for an actual mil-spec rail. I swapped mine out with a Mesa Tactical shot shell carrier, that picatinny rail was mil-spec and I mounted a Vortex SPARC using the lowest Bobro mount.

Edited by NineInchNails