Help Regarding Spots on Barrel and Mag Tube!

Four_Fifth

Hello All,

Yesterday I pulled out the M4 to lube and clean ( I haven't fired it in a little over a 2 years. Hey, I have other shotguns) and I noticed these little spots all over the barrel. They're more prominent on the barrel than the magazine tube. The magazine tube is a Benelli 7 round tube. They look like orange or something of that nature. I used M-Pro 7 and tried cleaning the barrel and it didn't help

Any suggestions on the spots and how to remove them? Attached are three photos.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Edited by Four_Fifth

• Four_Fifth changed the title to Help Regarding Spots on Barrel and Mag Tube!
12 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

The orange ones look like rust to me. I'd soak a rag in oil and rub the finish. They might come off.

You might want to check inside your barrel also. Run a cloth patch down it and see if it comes out gray or brown. Are you in a high humidity area?

I’m in Oxnard California.

10 hours ago, Four_Fifth said:

Hello All,

Yesterday I pulled out the M4 to lube and clean ( I haven't fired it in a little over a 2 years. Hey, I have other shotguns) and I noticed these little spots all over the barrel. They're more prominent on the barrel than the magazine tube. The magazine tube is a Benelli 7 round tube. They look like orange or something of that nature. I used M-Pro 7 and tried cleaning the barrel and it didn't help

Any suggestions on the spots and how to remove them? Attached are three photos.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Looks like it may be the starting of a little surface rust to me.  I would check your other guns, especially any blued ones you may have in the same safe.  If the guns have grips on them, take the grips off and inspect under the grips for good measure.

Here in Louisiana we've got enough humidity to go around and then some.  I've seen stainless guns get surface rust without the proper control of the humidity around here.

As terms of cleaning it, I would try brass wool/brush or maybe nylon brush with your favorite cleaner, solvent or CLP first and if that doesn't work then you may have to move up to more abrasive stuff.  I wouldn't want to go to hard on it though because it may compromised your guns finish. 

Edited by bigoo7e

Forgot to add. 

The very first think I would try would be Kano Kroil. Spray it on, keep the barrel wet by placing paper towels over it and wetting them. Let this sit overnight. Then use a toothbrush to remove corrosion.

If this doesn’t work, replace the toothbrush with STAINLESS steel wool. I would not use steel wool as the carbon steel pits can get lodged and they rust easily, creating an even bigger issue.

What does everyone recommend to use as a rust prevention oil or grease?  I live in Michigan and typically want my firearms quite well, even if I haven't shot them often, but I'm getting a Benelli M4 and I like to always coat my barrels with something to prevent future issues.

21 hours ago, bigoo7e said:

Looks like it may be the starting of a little surface rust to me.  I would check your other guns, especially any blued ones you may have in the same safe.  If the guns have grips on them, take the grips off and inspect under the grips for good measure.

Here in Louisiana we've got enough humidity to go around and then some.  I've seen stainless guns get surface rust without the proper control of the humidity around here.

As terms of cleaning it, I would try brass wool/brush or maybe nylon brush with your favorite cleaner, solvent or CLP first and if that doesn't work then you may have to move up to more abrasive stuff.  I wouldn't want to go to hard on it though because it may compromised your guns finish. 

So I went and purchased rust remover. That wasn’t a good idea, lol. I tried it on a little piece and it turn it white! I used bluing and turned it back! Lol....Per a YouTube video, I purchased steel wool, 0000, and rubbed it with regular oil. That didn’t take away the spots either.

Look also at the photos of inside the barrel. That’s probably not good.

A008CEC1-CD33-4F9B-BF8F-34C561405887.jpeg

AB5402E6-F46E-4444-AB8F-BE57FACD2496.jpeg

EBC1FC43-0F43-4F90-80F7-5FC4E022A6A5.jpeg

8A4B88E1-FAC3-4FA7-BA66-0899DB538671.jpeg

91C64FA4-6350-418E-80CD-1CF4EA2C96F6.jpeg

8CA100C8-DE7C-4AE5-AA16-68CB5008A954.jpeg

Edited by Four_Fifth

The inside of the barrel just looks like plastic residue from the wad.

Not sure how many shells you have through it, but plastic buildup is extremely common in shotguns.

Soak a bore mop with Ballistol, run it through the barrel, let it sit for a few hours, then hit the bore with a bronze brush or tornado brush.

Don't be at all surpised to see chunks and slivers of plastic coming out of the barrel.

Edited by Nocturnalnature
  • Upvote 1