Phosphor bronze brush for barrel cleaning?

CTDLG

I’ll keep brass brushes away now. I did the first cleaning. I had a piece of 3/16 dowel stick (leftover for clearing jam of.22). It was pretty handy to pass solvent soaked patches. I know aluminum or brass rod doesn’t do any harm but it just feels bad about metal-to-metal.

BTW, I was surprised that the choke became loose after 75 rounds. I took it off w/o tool.

As for myself, when I first got my M4, I tried cleaning the barrel of lead streaks and melted plastic with kid gloves. I found it to be an impossible endeavor. After wearing myself out and wasting a lot of time trying to clean the bore, I read about using a bronze brush, a length of rod, and a cordless drill.

I don't waste time anymore.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Not to highjack the thread, but... I am a Glock guy so cleaning is far from important to me. Well, every 6-800 rounds, anyway. How often does the M4 have to be taken down and cleaned? Should I disassemble mag tube, receiver barrel etc. each  time I shoot it? If I throw a couple of slugs down range to sight in dose it require a full cleaning? I saw some schmuts on the surface of chamber and used a Hops brass brush on it. A pia. After reading on this sight I now know it was probably melted plastic from shell casing. I did not take down the gun, just sprayed down bore, passed brush 3-4 times then cotton swab. Looks clean now and I wiped down all exterior surfaces. 

WHERE WAS I WEAK??? This is my first shotgun and as u know a major investment so I want to keep it right.

Roufus

The official Benelli cleaning kit reminds me of last weeks trip to Mercedes dealer who told me I had a frozen front break caliper in my 2013  Sprinter based Winni View. He suggested replacing both front wheel full brake systems. $2500.00 Thank God my pacemaker batteries were charged. Brought the rig to my regular repair shop and got the job done for $650. Get my drift?

4 hours ago, Roufus said:

Not to highjack the thread, but... I am a Glock guy so cleaning is far from important to me. Well, every 6-800 rounds, anyway. How often does the M4 have to be taken down and cleaned? Should I disassemble mag tube, receiver barrel etc. each  time I shoot it? If I throw a couple of slugs down range to sight in dose it require a full cleaning? I saw some schmuts on the surface of chamber and used a Hops brass brush on it. A pia. After reading on this sight I now know it was probably melted plastic from shell casing. I did not take down the gun, just sprayed down bore, passed brush 3-4 times then cotton swab. Looks clean now and I wiped down all exterior surfaces. 

WHERE WAS I WEAK??? This is my first shotgun and as u know a major investment so I want to keep it right.

Roufus

Member StrangerDanger here has posted several times that, as an experiment, he once went like 15,000 rounds with one of his M4's without cleaning it, other than squirting the bolt and receiver down with CLP or the like, and never experienced a problem.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, StrangerDanger said:

I think I only made it to about 2500-3000 before cleaning it. It still worked just fine, I just got tired of it looking like crap and getting fowling on things like car seats. 

Overall, it has about 16k thru it since 2004. 

My mistake. I don't know where I pulled that figure out of. Sorry for misquoting.?

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:15 PM, Milspec said:

IKR - the second image clearly shows bronze brushes. I wonder if by metallic they mean ferric metals (like a steel brush). They also say not to use a sponge with iron inserts or steel wool. Just the way it all reads - I don’t think English is the author’s first language.