New Benelli M4 scratched

_RomeoAlpha

Hey Benelli fam, 

I’m planning to finally shoot my new M4 for the first time in a couple of days. In preparation, I disassembled and CLP’d as instructed. Assembling things back in place, I noticed I scratched the inside of the receiver/ejection port. It’s surface level..but I just want to know if this is a common/“normal wear and tear” scratch or if I did something wrong and should prevent it from happening again. 5283DD07-2F5D-4D1C-922D-5CC0E30876C2.thumb.jpeg.733ae954ca44e0d9c9ca15fd195dd9c8.jpegThis is my first firearm so I’m pretty bummed I already made “character” marks without actually using it yet. I know it’s going to be put to work but just want to know if I should be protecting it better, if it needs to be treated or repaired, or to not worry about it at all. Any tips and advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Edited by _RomeoAlpha
Addendum

• _RomeoAlpha changed the title to New Benelli M4 scratched

Check the bottom corner of the barrel extension for a burr or rough machining.

The good news is your receiver will get more wear marks that correspond with the barrel extension as you shoot it so the scratch won't stand out as being abnormal or accidental in nature. Eventually it will simply blend in with the honest wear and tear.

• Like 1

Like others I wouldn't be too concerned... there will eventually be a fair amount of wear in that area and other parts.  I don't see this being a huge issue as that's where the bolt carrier will be operating. StrangerDanger would probably know best with his knowledge of many m4s... I just have two at this point

Otherwise maybe just check the pins in the bolt carrier and manually push it against the rear to see if it slides easily. Check to make sure the "tail" is seated against spring piston and before you put in the bolt handle.  But please to be careful with fingers as things can pinch and the receiver extension spring can be quite stiff.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I put a scratch in that same area just by cycling dummy rounds through it for practice. I was using AZoom snap caps and I did notice the paint coming off around the edges of the them. Now I have cleaned it thoroughly and got all the paint chips out. No more practice for me.. Time to go and fire some live rounds.