3D printed 3 position recoil tube

ueadian

Hey all, I have a Benelli M4 with the skeletonized fixed stock on it, and as far as I can gather from reading here you just need to replace the stock recoil tube with a 3 position one. How much force is this part under? Is it conceivable for me to 3D print this housing with the required markings and dimensions? I have impact resistant resin or very strong abs FDM fillament. Anyone tried this? Also for 922(r) compliance, would me manufacturing a tube in my own house count as an "American made" part?

I wouldn't want to be the one to field test that particular prototype.

The extension takes a considerable amount of force during recoil. The stout recoil you feel is transferred down that extension and through the stock. In addition, the spring and cup inside of it are constantly rubbing away on the inside during each firing cycle.

If it fails the results could be rather painful.

Edited by Nocturnalnature

I'd wager it would not work since the tube wall thickness is quite thin. So the areas where you have threading that interface with the receiver would be subject to a lot of stress. Plus machining the threading on the plastic would be difficult to near impossible I think. You'd have issues installing the flexible ring in an inner grove that wouldn't just beat the plastic to the breaking point. Every time the action cycles, the plunger hard stops on this ring.

Even if you could address all of those issues, I feel the polymer would not be resilient enough to prevent the stock from compressing the polymer and unlocking during recoil or high impact stress.

Edited by StrangerDanger

You'd probably have to butcher your neutered extension. Then you'd need some way to fit the stub of the receiver extension to your polymer extension. Trouble is if you do an overmold, it couldn't be anywhere near the stock adjustment notches since you're building to fit an existing stock with set dimensions. You would also run into issues with the pistol grip since it slides over the receiver extension. If you have a large transition joint, it wouldn't pass over. The fit is rather tight since the pistol grip uses the same nut that holds the factory receiver extension against the receiver.

To answer  your other question, no it would not count towards 922 compliance. The receiver extension isn't considered one of the evil parts.

11 minutes ago, RAIII said:

Not to hijack the thread, but @StrangerDanger I recall a thread a while back where I thought you and someone else were working on a 5 position tube.  What ever ended up with that project?

Definitely not my project, I'm just as interested as anyone else. I believe the guy running the design is out of the country at the moment, so things are on hold. I hope he takes it to production for customers, I just don't know where the costs will be.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:08 PM, ueadian said:

Hey all, I have a Benelli M4 with the skeletonized fixed stock on it, and as far as I can gather from reading here you just need to replace the stock recoil tube with a 3 position one. How much force is this part under? Is it conceivable for me to 3D print this housing with the required markings and dimensions? I have impact resistant resin or very strong abs FDM fillament. Anyone tried this? Also for 922(r) compliance, would me manufacturing a tube in my own house count as an "American made" part?

Just buy one on benelliparts.net IMHO