Barrel finish coming off

Deltaboy

I just bought mine in H20 cerakote and the first time taking it to the range ..Had a soft case for it while transporting and shot about 50 rounds of  00 Buck thru it,.. now I see a few 2-3 marks on the receiver and 1 on top of the barrel.. I have no idea how these marks got on there as I am super careful with this shot gun and do not lay it on the ground and have babied it since I got it about 2 weeks ago..  I am thinking about calling Benelli corporate about this..IMG-0190.thumb.jpg.f97d69715449bf3b1c007e867f42dd94.jpgIMG-0191.thumb.jpg.80424cbcbaf1e832626fa20ce0d3a34b.jpgIMG-0192.thumb.jpg.9df3d5867f47605e67f5f2b3bbbe0e14.jpgIMG-0193.thumb.jpg.1a163e2cbedc8a8dc00607129ec61306.jpg

Edited by farout3

Right, I understand that but for the price and taking it to the range 1 time since I bought it about 4-5 weeks ago. I should not be seeing these things happening on the coating granted if I dropped it or was careless however over time I understand and what purpose you use it for as well but that was not the case here unfortunately.  I already made the call to Benelli USA about this we shall see what happens.  

23 hours ago, farout3 said:

I just bought mine in H20 cerakote and the first time taking it to the range ..Had a soft case for it while transporting and shot about 50 rounds of  00 Buck thru it,.. now I see a few 2-3 marks on the receiver and 1 on top of the barrel.. I have no idea how these marks got on there as I am super careful with this shot gun and do not lay it on the ground and have babied it since I got it about 2 weeks ago..  I am thinking about calling Benelli corporate about this..IMG-0190.thumb.jpg.f97d69715449bf3b1c007e867f42dd94.jpgIMG-0191.thumb.jpg.80424cbcbaf1e832626fa20ce0d3a34b.jpgIMG-0192.thumb.jpg.9df3d5867f47605e67f5f2b3bbbe0e14.jpgIMG-0193.thumb.jpg.1a163e2cbedc8a8dc00607129ec61306.jpg

CeraCoat isn’t iron clad armor. Shooting it won’t do that. You have something rattling in a case or you’ve placed it on something.

Can’t blame Benelli for the finish damage

• 3 months later...

I called Benelli USA, opened up a case had to send it in and had to wait 2-3 months until it came back to me. They ended up stripping it down and redoing the H20 finish..  Go figure on a brand new shotgun with 1 day at the range.. seems to be a bigger problem with these finishes and this cerakote h20 coating. Wish they kept the NP3 coating like in the past this cerakote coating seems to come off alot faster with minimal use and seems cheap..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, farout3 said:

I called Benelli USA, opened up a case had to send it in and had to wait 2-3 months until it came back to me. They ended up stripping it down and redoing the H20 finish..  Go figure on a brand new shotgun with 1 day at the range.. seems to be a bigger problem with these finishes and this cerakote h20 coating. Wish they kept the NP3 coating like in the past this cerakote coating seems to come off alot faster with minimal use and seems cheap..

I know people love & praise cerakote but I’ve own 3 firearms that came from the factory with it and it only took one range trip for bare metal to be exposed in the friction areas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/31/2021 at 12:45 AM, Steven Smith said:

Have M4.On first 7” of barrel from receiver it developed 9 pin prick like spots to bare metal. Have not dropped or abused in any way. I’m going to to call beneli tue. This is nuts on gun this expensive. Has anyone else seen ,or heard of this?

I noticed the same on my barrel, a few shiny exposed spots. I shoot approx once a week for the last year so I assume in my case normal wear and tear, carrying in range bag, disassembling, cleaning, etc.  

Barrels are parkerized unless  cerakoted anymore. Neither are the most durable or protective finish. I have a few scrapes on mine. What bothers me most is the rust coming through the parkerizing (at least that’s how it looks to me) . I see two options either keep oiling the trouble spots and deal with it or send the barrel (or whole shotgun) off to be coated. Neither is ideal but life’s not fair.