Benelli SBE 2 Classic Carrier Offcenter?

TurkeyHunter90

I purchased a new SBE 2 Classic model and the carrier appears to be crooked, almost touching the right side of the receiver (when looking at the bottom of the gun) when the bolt is closed. When the bolt is open, it locks up more centered. Is it normal for the carrier to appear off center like this? It appears the carrier latch is pushing it off center. I had a previous SBE 2 years ago and never noticed the carrier not appearing straight in the loading port.

*Bolt Closed

fuZROCu.jpg

*Bolt Open

61lvpBc.jpg

Edited by TurkeyHunter90

I cross posted it on Shotgun World and the consensus was it is not normal. When pushing the carrier down straight down it will not go fully down and you have to push it left slightly for it to go in the bolt groove to get a shell in. I think the carrier is bent or not formed correctly. I sent it and will update when I get it back from Benelli.

9 hours ago, TurkeyHunter90 said:

I cross posted it on Shotgun World and the consensus was it is not normal. When pushing the carrier down straight down it will not go fully down and you have to push it left slightly for it to go in the bolt groove to get a shell in. I think the carrier is bent or not formed correctly. I sent it and will update when I get it back from Benelli.

Not meaning to disrespectful here, in review of more than 25 SBE Classics & SBE 3's in inventory, every Benelli has the same offset.  I currently am working on 2 SBE II's 2 M1 Super 90's, 2 SBE 3's, 2 Franchi Affinity 3's, they all have the same offset.  I am including a photo of a un fired SBE 3.1417780625_BenelliSBE3New.thumb.jpg.9c1cc55e6090aab37d6778889e39334b.jpg SBE 3. 

@remarkable, maybe my first post didn't accurately describe my issue. It does appear that it is normal that the SBE carriers are off-center slighty in the loading port (closer to the right side) when looking at the bottom of the gun, but my carrier latch is visibly twisted a few degrees the right, and when the bolt is closed, the right edge of the carrier fork comes about 1/16 from the right side of the receiver near the magazine tube (1st pic). I found sometimes it would actually lightly drag the right side of the receiver when loading a shell, and if you push it straight down, the lip on the carrier usually hits the edge of the bolt grove, not fully going down far enough to load a shell, unless you push it towards the left slightly. When the bolt is locked back it it looks less twisted, just like the picture you showed of the SBE3. I took the trigger assembly out, and I could visibly see that the latch is not parallel to the trigger housing. I appreciate you comparing to your inventory, and I'll post back here the outcome from Benelli. 

dXaFVUg.jpg

Does it appear the twist is the elevator itself or is it the trigger frame? 

You could try replacing the elevator with the compatible aftermarket FFT one. 
https://freedomfightertactical.com/collections/benelli-sbe-i-ii-iii/products/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-worry-free-extended-carrier-for-the-benelli-m4-tactical-shotgun

You could also try to straighten the elevator with a vice for free. I’d opt for the FFT elevator though.

The elevator itself seems not square with the pin through the trigger assembly. When in the gun the trigger assembly seems square as well, just the carrier lever appears bent.  I wish I would have seen the FFT elevator before I shipped the gun back... but hopefully it comes back straight from Benelli customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I received my gun back from Benelli last Sunday via FedEx. The repair notes they replaced my trigger guard and modified the carrier. The carrier no longer appears at an angle and when I push it down it doesn't drag the receiver or hang up on the edge of the groove in the bottom the bolt. Thanks for the help here and I just wanted to note I had a very positive experience with the Benelli customer service. I'm going to take it out tomorrow to pattern some turkey loads and run some shells through it shooting skeet.