how to stop rust

fox

While I was hunting last week I noticed my gun was starting to rust. I took some gun oil and got the rust off but you can still see some rust pits. Is there anything that I can put on the gun to stop the rust and make the rust pits go away?

to late to save the metal if its pitted badly..

steel wool and having it re-blued.. this might not even work.

Heck, have it camo dipped to cover it.

in the future .. keep the exterior ( or better said 'ALL') metal surfaces oiled at all times or rubbed with a grease rag (exterior)..

good luck

be very cautious using steel wool. the cheep steel wool can come apart and lodge in the pits and other parts of the weapon and make a real mess. i would suggest a white scotch brite pad or in a pinch a grey soaked with either PB blaster or a pure silicon spray that will dry on the gun to remove the rust then wipe it down after every use or handleing (although it never hurts to have a second set of prints on a gun :rolleyes ). also never store you weapon cased unless its well dried and a couple of desicant packs are in there with it i save them out of all kinds of stuff; camaras ect. i used to get realy nice ones out of a caulk that i had at work. you can also pick up some machinest blueing and care fully dab the spot with it that should slow the rust from migrateing. Rust never sleeps.: