Remington's Hevi-Shot in Benelli Barrels...

dahambone

Have any of you heard or seen anything about whether or not to shoot Hevi-Shot loads through your Benelli? Has anybody here shot any Hevi-Shot through their gun?? Does it do any barrel damage?? If your not familiar with Hevi-Shot....its heavier than lead....well here, check it out: http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/hevishot/hevishot.htm

Please let me know....(by the way...I'm shooting a Nova.....with XXX Full Comp-N-Choke...which they already don't recommend shooting Hevi-Shot with their choke tubes.....but I need to know if it will mess up the barrel in my Nova before I buy a new choke...)

I am shooting it through my SBE and it is awesome. I had best luck with #6 Hevi-Shot from Remington and Jellyhead Choke tube by Primos. They say it was designed around shooting hevi-shot. It sure is working well for me.

I feel very confident out to 50 yards with this setup.

good luck

I emailed Benelli about this same question and they told me they had some problems with the earlier hevi-shot from the original manufacture but since Remington took over loading it, they haven't seen any problems at all. I shoot it out of mine and don't see any problem with the barrel at all.

Here's a screen saver from Evironmetal Inc.'s (makers of Hevi-Shot) Hevi-shot web site showing an M1014 Limited Edition and another showing a Super Black Eagle in a Hevi-Shot poster that I added the link to (in PDF format):

wallpaper_law_enforcement.jpg

Hevi-Shot 'bird poster' in pdf showing a Benelli - Super Black Eagle

I've used Remingtons Hevi-Shot waterfowl loads in my SBE , Franchi SL-12 & Veloce 20ga. using factory chokes but, have opted to hand load because it's cheaper. The main component that companies have developed (including Remington) is wad material and construction to aid in both performance and protection. Your Nova barrel will be fine. You might notice some marks to the finish but physically the barrel should be unharmed. My brother has shot a rediculous amount through his SBE's guiding waterfowl hunts with no damage to his barrels or chokes other than visual marks either.

Another Hevi-Shot link... check out their 'FAQ' page - they list a bunch of after-market choke manufacturers they've tested and approved www.hevishot.com

You can also order loads produced by Environmetal Inc. still - Remington has just bought into a trade marketing/sales agreement with the company.

Hope this helps - Good Luck

[ 03-31-2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: birddog ]

Originally posted by dahambone:

Have any of you heard or seen anything about whether or not to shoot Hevi-Shot loads through your Benelli? Has anybody here shot any Hevi-Shot through their gun?? Does it do any barrel damage?? If your not familiar with Hevi-Shot....its heavier than lead....well here, check it out: http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/hevishot/hevishot.htm

Please let me know....(by the way...I'm shooting a Nova.....with XXX Full Comp-N-Choke...which they already don't recommend shooting Hevi-Shot with their choke tubes.....but I need to know if it will mess up the barrel in my Nova before I buy a new choke...)

I'm just scared to shoot it because of reading this.

http://www.hevishot.com/faq.html

Can I use my current Remington shotgun/choke with new Hevi-Shot Turkey Loads?

Yes. Remington has extensively tested Hevi-Shot through various Rem-Chokes. The top-selling choke, diameter and resulting Hevi-Shot pattern percentages are as follows:

Ventilator (.655") 87% 30" circle, 40 yards

Full - Lead Only (.691") 88% "

Full - Lead or Steel (.691") 88% "

Turkey Extra Full (.687") 92% "

Turkey Super Full (.665") 93% "

NEW Hevi-Shot (.675") 94% "

Tighter chokes than .665" do not improve pattern percentages to any extent and in fact begin to produce more open patterns.

Hevi-Shot can produce cosmetic rub marks in barrels and chokes, simply a change in surface finish. Over an equal number of rounds, this rubbing is similar to that experienced with steel shot. Both materials create more choke strain than lead shot due to a more solid payload. With the Remington wad column, the Hevi-Shot pellets rest on a cushioned pad in the shot container that allows the pellets to flow better through the choke. In addition, the Remington Hevi-Shot shot container is much thicker than previous Hevi-Shot loaded rounds and that thickness minimizes pellet contact with the barrel or choke.