M2 failure to feed round 2

mdog

I've got an M2 approximately 5 years old ... maybe 1000 - 1500 rounds through it. Had significant issues this hunting season with the bolt not completely locking up. Can happen with initial loading and pressing of bolt release (then can't feed 2nd shell into magazine) as well as after first shot fired it will cycle but fail to completely lock up so second shot can't be fired. I've disassembled and cleaned the bolt and receiver is also clean. After this failed to improve the problem I dismantled the stock to get at the recoil spring ... not surprisingly there was a little bit of crud so I cleaned spring and tube and very lightly lubricated. Unfortunately this didn't make a difference. It appears to me that the action is slow and I suspect a weak spring (not sure how to test this). Now I know its a different operating system but the action on my A400 closes WAY faster and with WAY more force. Figured I'd try a Wolff spring but unfortunately they're not shipping to Canada right now. Anything I might be missing or any other suggestions? Should I be changing the magazine spring as well?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

9 hours ago, mdog said:

I've got an M2 approximately 5 years old ... maybe 1000 - 1500 rounds through it. Had significant issues this hunting season with the bolt not completely locking up. Can happen with initial loading and pressing of bolt release (then can't feed 2nd shell into magazine) as well as after first shot fired it will cycle but fail to completely lock up so second shot can't be fired. I've disassembled and cleaned the bolt and receiver is also clean. After this failed to improve the problem I dismantled the stock to get at the recoil spring ... not surprisingly there was a little bit of crud so I cleaned spring and tube and very lightly lubricated. Unfortunately this didn't make a difference. It appears to me that the action is slow and I suspect a weak spring (not sure how to test this). Now I know its a different operating system but the action on my A400 closes WAY faster and with WAY more force. Figured I'd try a Wolff spring but unfortunately they're not shipping to Canada right now. Anything I might be missing or any other suggestions? Should I be changing the magazine spring as well?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Your recoil spring is wore beyond tolerance, you could replace it with a OEM Benelli spring, however with a M2 I always prefer with exception of a 20 gauge like replacing these with a Wolff OEM Power spring which you should be able to purchase from Midway USA or from a reseller on EBAY.  If you sense your magazine spring is getting softer replace this as well, typically this not needed.  If you can not source parts or need any additional information please PM me, more than happy to help.

• Upvote 1

Disassemble the magazine tube and clean out all the debris and lubricants from the tube, followed and spring. Everything should be dry with no lubricant. The lubricant attracts fowling and buffer media which robs the spring of energy as its trying to do its job. If it can’t get that shell onto the elevator fast, you will experience failures. 

Pull your trigger pack out and cycle the bolt with the gun upside down so you can see inside the bottom of the action. Without the trigger pack allows the action to move much more freely without the hammer and breech latch making contact with the bolt. This will allow you to get a feel for how the action is performing. If it is hanging up anywhere. If it binds during the stroke. How much tension your spring is providing. How the inertia spring as the bolt head unlocks from the barrel. 

You mentioned disassembling and cleaning out the receiver extension. That was a good move. Be sure to use a light lubricant that is rated for cold weather in there. Regular lubricants thicken in cold weather and can make the action sluggish.

• Like 1